Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:19 PM   #1
MikeMacPL
macrumors member

Can iChat be used to chat with a Windows user?

I recently bought a iMac and I'm still learning how to use this OS. The question is can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC or do I need to install something like Skype?
Also when I chat, is there a way to screengrab something so I can show something over the webcam?
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Benguitar
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMacPL View Post
I recently bought a iMac and I'm still learning how to use this OS. The question is can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC or do I need to install something like Skype?
Also when I chat, is there a way to screengrab something so I can show something over the webcam?
Yes it can indeed. If they are using AIM.

Edit-

No you can't show a PC user something using "screen share" but you can video chat with them.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:09 AM   #3
eleven7
macrumors regular

You can also chat with people that use google-talk, and a host of other windows/linux based IM chat application. No voice chat on google-talk though, well not that I've been able to work out
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:28 PM   #4
cdcastillo
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to cdcastillo Send a message via Yahoo to cdcastillo Send a message via Skype™ to cdcastillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMacPL View Post
...can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC...
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You need to understand the difference between IM clients and IM networks.

iChat is a Client, the same as Adium, Skype, gTalk, AIM, Mercury, MSN Messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.

Now, an IM network is different. Altough many networks share their name with their client, e.g., skype, MSN, Yahoo, etc, they should not be misstaken.

Now, by default you can use iChat (client) on AOL IM network (the same network as mobileme), Google talk network and any Jabber network (or server, I won't go into much detail here because I could get all confused).

Adium (free IM client) can be used on practically ANY network. On the other hand, MSN Messenger, Skype, and Yahoo Messenger clients can only be used on their own network.

By setting a jabber account on a server that supports MSN and Yahoo transports (think of transports as a way to hijack onto an IM network), you can use iChat with MSN and Yahoo networks (I know this because that's my setup).

Did any of these makes any sense to you? I hope it does, otherwise, tell us so we can try to clarify it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help