Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Apr 15, 2009, 12:56 PM   #1
Tradewind
macrumors member

A good turn-based RPG for iPhone

Anyone know of a very good turn-based RPG for iPhone 3G in iTunes store, with good graphics similar to Chronicles of Inotia, good music, and multiple language settings? The only one I know of right now is Vay, and I was going to get that until I read reviews about a major flaw: items have no visible stats so it's impossible to compare new equipment with old. I'm going to hold off getting this until the developers fix this bug.
I already have Chronicles of Inotia downloaded, though I haven't started playing yet.
The store doesn't have too many RPGs out right now, I can only think of like 3-4 right now. I'm a fan of many C- and J-RPGs and I love turn-based combat.
Thanks.
Oh by the way my phone isn't jailbroken or installerApp-ed (though I'm thinking about doing it, just comparing different ways to see which one is the safest and restorable to the original warranty-covered condition), so only iTunes store apps please.
Tradewind is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
shabbado
macrumors member

BUMP for this... I would love to see a good RPG for the iPhone... Final Fantasy anyone?

If anyone is interested in developing such things, send me a message and maybe we can get something going.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 02:01 PM   #3
B master
macrumors newbie

Try arvale!

It's fun, good graphics (like final fantasy 1-3), great story, turn based combat, and cheap!
B master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Tradewind
macrumors member

Arvale's gameplay looks good, though I don't like its interface very much. 1/3 of the screen is blocked by its control pad and menu buttons.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:23 PM   #5
B master
macrumors newbie

Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
Arvale's gameplay looks good, though I don't like its interface very much. 1/3 of the screen is blocked by its control pad and menu buttons.
At first the interface is kinda awkward but after a while you'll get used to it.
B master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Tradewind
macrumors member

I wish these RPGs would each have a demo version... especially the more expensive ones. It makes sense to try something out before buying.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:23 PM   #7
DreamPod
macrumors 6502a

They fixed that in Vay like 6 months ago...you should try it, it's a port of an old SegaCD RPG. The dialogue kinda sucks since they tried to update it, but it's still a good game if like classic J-RPG's.
DreamPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Khryz
macrumors 6502a

I just downloaded UniWar, it's turn-based but I don't know much about it and haven't played it yet.
Khryz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Tradewind
macrumors member

Uniwar isn't an RPG, it's more like a two-player game of chess using vehicles and monsters as its pieces.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 01:18 PM   #10
atomheartmother
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
Uniwar isn't an RPG, it's more like a two-player game of chess using vehicles and monsters as its pieces.
Up to eight players online. It's kind of like chess, but much, much more complex. It's definitely not an RPG, though.
atomheartmother is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 06:50 PM   #11
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to nomar383
Any more suggestions besides Arvale on this topic?
SABCommand (SABnzbd+ Front-End)
nomar383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 07:38 PM   #12
MaxPower49
macrumors 6502a

Zenonia just came out. I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...316720410&mt=8
MaxPower49 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 07:52 PM   #13
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to nomar383
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower49 View Post
Zenonia just came out. I haven't tried it yet, but a lot of people seem to like it.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...316720410&mt=8
That's an action RPG though, isn't it? I saw that, but I need a turn-based FF3-ish fix lol. I liked Vay a lot until my 20 hour save got wiped after an iPhone restore
SABCommand (SABnzbd+ Front-End)
nomar383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Gorg
macrumors newbie

I'm trying out Quest Lite right now and I'll probably end up getting the full version. I've also downloaded Underworld Lite but haven't really played it all that much.
Gorg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 03:40 PM   #15
conmon18
macrumors newbie

try Dungeon Hunters

I'm not sure if thats the kind of game that you are looking for, but I have beaten the game twice and have really enjoyed it, or Dungeon Hunters 2 if it's out yet...
conmon18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #16
chubidu
macrumors newbie

turn based

I am not sure my opinion will be useful as i dont like inotia-like rpg (all the same boring games, zenonia etc),

however i would advise either

- battle of wesnoth (but this is slow, with limited rpg -u dont built / custom your avatar but highly strategic)

http://www.wesnoth.org/

- and a new good one called Arenas, Trial of Valor. This is turn based fantasy battles, a bit like battlehearts but this is online and lot more advanced in term of feature/rules. 2D graphism are ok, spells magic really cool, and lot lot of monsters/spells.

http://www.TrialOfValor.com
chubidu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps