Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Apr 15, 2009, 06:59 PM   #1
bushbaby
macrumors 6502

Got wet, phone on, got hot, dark dark screen

I never thought I'd be one to drop their phone in the toilet (after it was flushed at least).

1. 1st gen Iphone was on and submerged for 2-3 sec. It had an Encase rubber case and a screen protector.
2. took off encase, dried off the phone, looked okay.
3. So I didn't know to shut it off and I did use it to look on the internet about wet phones. At some point, it got very hot.
4. The screen got very very dark, almost black. (this whole time took about 5 min)
5. drove home (15 min) read threads here, shut off phone, removed sim card. Used cool hair dryer. It is sitting in rice.

In my specific case, with the heat aspect and the dark screen, does that tell any of the experts here that it's not going to come back? If it's not going to come back after 5 days, I'd rather have a phone to use now.

Last edited by bushbaby; Apr 16, 2009 at 03:50 AM.
bushbaby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:34 AM   #2
AdrianoCardillo
macrumors newbie

I have no idea, but how can you take out the SIM card?
AdrianoCardillo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 02:42 PM   #3
koollectablz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianoCardillo View Post
I have no idea, but how can you take out the SIM card?
The opposite way you put it in.
koollectablz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 04:57 AM   #4
bushbaby
macrumors 6502

There is a small hole at the bottom. You insert a needle and the sim card will pop out. I found this through a search.

Any experts out there?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:45 AM   #5
ratbatblue
macrumors 6502

wet, iPhone, hot, got
dark, dark screen in light of day
owner unhappy
ratbatblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
bushbaby
macrumors 6502

Thank you for the haiku!

Still wondering if there's a chance it will come back after what it's been through?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 05:55 PM   #7
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

Chance it will there is,

More chance it will not there is.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:59 AM   #8
bushbaby
macrumors 6502

Yeah, after sitting in rice for 5 days, I just turned it on and it's the same. very very dark screen, can barely see it. It is receiving text messages - so not sure if it "works" but since I can hardly see the screen it doesn't matter much.

btw, the sensor doesn't appear to be red... but can't say for sure.

Added: the phone seems to work - although I have to hold it up to a bright light and sort of guess at what I'm pressing. It was able to make a call out. I could not hook it up to the computer though, the computer could not see it.

So now the question is, do I get a 3g or wait until the new phone is out?

Last edited by bushbaby; Apr 20, 2009 at 04:43 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 03:14 PM   #9
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushbaby View Post
Yeah, after sitting in rice for 5 days, I just turned it on and it's the same. very very dark screen, can barely see it. It is receiving text messages - so not sure if it "works" but since I can hardly see the screen it doesn't matter much.

btw, the sensor doesn't appear to be red... but can't say for sure.

Added: the phone seems to work - although I have to hold it up to a bright light and sort of guess at what I'm pressing. It was able to make a call out. I could not hook it up to the computer though, the computer could not see it.

So now the question is, do I get a 3g or wait until the new phone is out?
Go to the genius bar if it is still under warranty. If the sensors are clearly white then see if you can get it replaced. After all you paid Apple for an iPhone and WORKING WATER SENSORS. My 3rd gen shuffle got submerged for 2 minutes and the sensore remained white. I got a replacement for free.
Old May 13, 2009, 04:26 AM   #10
ddesign
macrumors newbie

my iphone got wet.

is there anyone here that can help me?
unfortunetly my iphone got wet , and now it won`t start, the pc doesn`t recognise it, doesn't charge, it won`t do absolutely anything.
i've put it to dry in rice and still nothing.
can i do something to make it work again?
thanks
ddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting