Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Apr 15, 2009, 09:15 PM   #1
insignificantMB
macrumors member

exFAT or NTFS on mac?

I just purchased a 400 GB WD mypassport essential.
I have windows vista on my PC, when I check the format of the drive on vista, it says its on the default, NTFS.
For some reason, however, I cant transfer my 1080p quality movies that are over 4gb into it...(a problem that should only occur in FAT32 format.?)
I can format the harddrive to exFAT, but I am dont know if itll work with my mac..?
I have paragon on my macbook pro so NTFS works.

But yea, my question is just if exFAT will work on my mac laptop. Or if there is any way i can get the NTFS format to take files larger than 4gb.
insignificantMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
kahlil88
macrumors member

That's very strange...I wonder if NTFS-3G would help at all?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:35 PM   #3
bstreiff
macrumors regular

exFAT is only supported on XP32 (with a hotfix), Windows CE 6.0, and Vista SP1. There is also apparently some work done to get support on Linux.

Nobody seems to have written an OS X driver yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignificantMB View Post
For some reason, however, I cant transfer my 1080p quality movies that are over 4gb into it...(a problem that should only occur in FAT32 format.?)
Nope. Unless you're using 64k clusters (which AFAIK is not the default), FAT32 tops out at 2GB files.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 10:48 PM   #4
insignificantMB
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreiff View Post
exFAT is only supported on XP32 (with a hotfix), Windows CE 6.0, and Vista SP1. There is also apparently some work done to get support on Linux.

Nobody seems to have written an OS X driver yet.

Nope. Unless you're using 64k clusters (which AFAIK is not the default), FAT32 tops out at 2GB files.
Thanks.
Does that mean I should reformat and choose 64 kilobytes as my allocation unit size??
Also, what drawbacks would that present?
insignificantMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:15 AM   #5
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by insignificantMB View Post
Thanks.
Does that mean I should reformat and choose 64 kilobytes as my allocation unit size??
Also, what drawbacks would that present?
My bad. The 2GB limit was FAT16.

FAT32 is still limited to 4GB files, which still won't solve your problem. NTFS is the way to go.

How are you transferring files to your drive to get this problem? Are you getting some sort of error message?
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:54 PM   #6
micsaund
macrumors 6502

I use the MacFUSE + NTFS-3g driver and it works fine for writing to a USB drive, but it can be very slow.

I wish that MS would just release the specs for exFAT, but we all know where it'll be a cold day before that happens. FAT and FAT32 are just too limited in the modern days of multi-gigabyte files.

Anyway, I haven't found an optimal solution that's easily workable between OSX and Winbloze, but NTFS is passable.

Mike
Old Apr 16, 2009, 07:03 PM   #7
bstreiff
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsaund View Post
I wish that MS would just release the specs for exFAT, but we all know where it'll be a cold day before that happens. FAT and FAT32 are just too limited in the modern days of multi-gigabyte files.
Yeah, it'd be nice if there was a freely-implementable cross-platform filesystem that isn't FAT32 (with its fragmentation issues, and its filesize limitations, etc) that everything actually supported out-of-the-box.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:08 AM   #8
kahlil88
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreiff View Post
Yeah, it'd be nice if there was a freely-implementable cross-platform filesystem that isn't FAT32 (with its fragmentation issues, and its filesize limitations, etc) that everything actually supported out-of-the-box.
The problem is that Apple and Microsoft are afraid they won't be able to keep folks dependent on their operating systems if they increase interoperability. There should be free filesystem drivers for ext3 for Mac OS X (not sure about Windows, since it's not Unix).
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:54 PM   #9
gordon1234
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by micsaund View Post
I use the MacFUSE + NTFS-3g driver and it works fine for writing to a USB drive, but it can be very slow.

Anyway, I haven't found an optimal solution that's easily workable between OSX and Winbloze, but NTFS is passable.

Mike
Actually, unlike NTFS, exFAT was designed specifically with interoperability in mind, and the format can be licensed from Microsoft (for a price).
gordon1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:14 PM   #10
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon1234 View Post
Actually, unlike NTFS, exFAT was designed specifically with interoperability in mind, and the format can be licensed from Microsoft (for a price).
Apparently Apple is including exFAT drivers on the 27" iMacs (which are sold with 2TB drives).

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1003240

EDIT: and now 10.6.5 has brought exFAT support to all. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1047194

B

Last edited by balamw; Nov 11, 2010 at 02:02 PM.
balamw is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac