Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
Also, if I backup the mp3s on disc, will the covers still be there if I open the file on another computer?

boast

macrumors 65816
Nov 12, 2007
Phoenix, USA
if the cover art was modified on iTunes, it would be saved in the ID3 tag (each MP3 individually).

If you burn the CD as a data CD, it would save it. If you burn it as a music CD, the art will not be saved.

qacjared

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
if the cover art was modified on iTunes, it would be saved in the ID3 tag (each MP3 individually).

If you burn the CD as a data CD, it would save it. If you burn it as a music CD, the art will not be saved.

Actually, iTunes 7 and up doesn't embed artwork to the id3 tags anymore unless you manually set it to do so on 2 or more songs at a time. It stores it in ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork

You need this apple script to embed it.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Actually, iTunes 7 and up doesn't embed artwork to the id3 tags anymore unless you manually set it to do so on 2 or more songs at a time. It stores it in ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork

You need this apple script to embed it.

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart

Well, this is partly true.

If you manually drag the album artwork into the song (in the Get Info window), it will be embedded into the file.

If you use iTunes to fetch the album artwork, it will not be embedded and will be in the location you mentioned.

Colin0317

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 29, 2009
I used iTunes to fetch the covers, but they are showing in the "get info" "artwork" section...

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Also, how do I find ~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork?

8862a2b7.png

That should help :D

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX

Found it, but it's just a buch of folders with numbers...

Ya... it seems to organize album-art the same way iPod organizes music. And you can't even view the art that's stored in there too which sucks. It's mainly there for cover-flow in iTunes... It makes the art load much faster instead of having to load it from the ID3 tag of songs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.