Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lapino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2009
Just curious if people use Safari or Firefox or something else. I'm currently kinda switching between the two, used to Firefox after years working on pc, but want to get to know Safari too. Still, Firefox is my main browser most of the time.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
There are many polls asking exactly same question....

But I guess its cool to ask every once in a while just to get a temporal perspective.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Firefox is much slower than Safari and doesn't pass as many web standards. It's definitely better than IE and Chrome though (on Windows). The scrolling also doesn't work well in OS X. Oh, and majority of the people that use it love the themes (they're all horrible) but it looks disgusting.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Firefox is much slower than Safari and doesn't pass as many web standards. It's definitely better than IE and Chrome though (on Windows). The scrolling also doesn't work well in OS X. Oh, and majority of the people that use it love the themes (they're all horrible) but it looks disgusting.
sorry I caught you again making false statements

1. much slower is a strange statement, and most people would not agree with you on day to day use.

2. don't pass many web standard is a pure lie, if you goto wikipedia and compare the support of web standard of each browsers, everybody can tell webkit isn't doing much better than gecko, 80 vs 75? maybe, doesn't pass many? complete lie

3.scrolling doesn't work well in OSX? yes, only when you use trackpad, even that problem is solved in 3.5

4. majority people loves the themes? maybe, whos to say your opinion is exactly right and should override other peoples? I love the themes. and Im at least equal to you as an individual.

PS. Im using this right now
picture1jgk.png

and how ugly is this?
picture5e.png

picture6o.png

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
1. It doesn't matter who believes who. Safari 4 executes JS dramatically faster than Firefox. A fact is a fact, strange or not.

2. If your information is from Wikipedia, you deserve to be lied to. Anyone can edit pages on Wikipedia. It's a bad source for information. Try running the Acid3 test from your browser. Safari 4 gets 100/100 and Firefox gets around 80/100. Acid3 is a real source of information.

3. Firefox 3.5 is beta (I think a nightly build but I may be wrong). Safari 4 is a public beta. The public does not have access to Firefox 3.5. In any case, scrolling works in both browsers but works much more seamlessly in Safari.

4. How am I overriding anything? I said at least where I live, majority of the people (not "majority people") loves the themes. And the ones I've seen so far and browsed on Firefox Add-ons look horrible. Yours looks pretty sweet but very distracting (in my opinion, but not overriding anyone else's opinion including yours). I never claimed any theme as ugly, just disgusting and distracting. So follow your own advice and stop making false statements.

3.scrolling doesn't work well in OSX? yes, only when you use trackpad, even that problem is solved in 3.5

Isn't that what a trackpad is for? You of argued saying how Firefox has multi touch gestures in the some of the betas.

EDIT: I've see you added more pictures. If all you care about is how your browser looks, then you probably don't care about what's 'under the hood'.

Quit lying to yourself and admit that Safari is faster and passes more web standards than Firefox. Everything else (themes and scrolling) is moot and can be debated.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
4. majority people loves the themes? maybe, whos to say your opinion is exactly right and should override other peoples? I love the themes. and Im at least equal to you as an individual.

PS. Im using this right now

and how ugly is this?

From a somewhat neutral standpoint, I do prefer Safari. However, I use Firefox when Safari isn't supported as a web browser (my bank, for example).

However, I think Firefox, in comparison, is ugly.

Those screenshots are, to me, hideous. They are so, so busy and de-tract from the website itself.

Don't bash me, that's just my opinion. :eek:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
1. It doesn't matter who believes who. Safari 4 executes JS dramatically faster than Firefox. A fact is a fact, strange or not.
since when js equals to browser speed? ans since when a human's eye can feel the difference of 0.001ms?
2. If your information is from Wikipedia, you deserve to be lied to. Anyone can edit pages on Wikipedia. It's a bad source for information. Try running the Acid3 test from your browser. Safari 4 gets 100/100 and Firefox gets around 80/100. Acid3 is a real source of information.

simple question, how many standard are there? how many items in those standard? and how many items did acid3 check? do you know?

wikipedia is a much more reliable source than you.

and acid 3 is testing 10% of web standards. Why do you think 10% can cover other 90% items in the standard book?
3. Firefox 3.5 is beta (I think a nightly build but I may be wrong). Safari 4 is a public beta. The public does not have access to Firefox 3.5. In any case, scrolling works in both browsers but works much more seamlessly in Safari.
3.1 beta 3 IS PUBLIC beta. try it.
4. How am I overriding anything? I said at least where I live, majority of the people (not "majority people") loves the themes. And the ones I've seen so far and browsed on Firefox Add-ons look horrible. Yours looks pretty sweet but very distracting (in my opinion, but not overriding anyone else's opinion including yours).
appreciate that
Isn't that what a trackpad is for? You of argued saying how Firefox has multi touch gestures in the some of the betas.
trackpad for what? you can't ignore half of the world when people use mice, can you?
EDIT: I've see you added more pictures. If all you care about is how your browser looks, then you probably don't care about what's 'under the hood'.
why can't I care about both? why exactly looks and under the hood are mutual exclusive?
Quit lying to yourself and admit that Safari is faster and passes more web standards than Firefox. Everything else (themes and scrolling) is moot and can be debated.
you need to quit lie to everybody.

You lies previously in several occasions, including one place you claim safari 4 is multi-processed, or claiming window 7 is on the ancient kernal.

How exactly do you think you can make false statement and expect nobody to catch you?:p

From a somewhat neutral standpoint, I do prefer Safari. However, I use Firefox when Safari isn't supported as a web browser (my bank, for example).

Those screenshots are, to me, hideous. They are so, so busy and de-tract from the website itself.

Don't bash me, that's just my opinion. :eek:

I would if you claimed you are majority of the users, which you didn't, so, no worries :)

Diaresi

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2007

On the Mozilla homepage:

mehk.jpg

Yes, i'm in an immature mood today. But your Safari-lovin' isn't helping...

*Edit (Just to go on topic)*

Both browsers certainly have their plus points, but for me Firefox wins it for the Add-ons and being supported on every website out there (among other things). Plus Mozilla are damn quick at releasing security patches while Apple take what seems to be forever :rolleyes:

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
I use Safari, with Firefox installed as my back up browser.

I just use Safari because I find it easier to use as much Apple software as I can - they generally mesh together in nice little ways. For me both Firefox and Safari essentially do the same thing, I'm just used to Safari (and I think Firefox is a bit ugly at the moment)

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
I use Safari on my Mac and work PC.

SnowLeopard2008 said:

3.1 beta 3 IS PUBLIC beta. try it.

Maybe it's me, but I think you are talking about 2 different things or one of you is confused. SnowLeopard2008 is talking about Firefox 3.5 beta and clevin is talking about Firefox 3.1 beta 3.

It's also fun watching the little hissy fit you two are having. :D

glap1922

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2009
I personally like safari much more on OS X. At work I use firefox, but when I go home to my mac I try to avoid it. I am not really a fan of themes, and most of the add-ons don't seem necessary to me. The only think I use is foxmarks to keep all my bookmarks the same, but that works on safari as well as firefox, so no issues there.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
safari is just too damn slow. I'm sorry, I don't want to wait a minute or two after launching an application to use it. I keep Safari on my computer so that if something gets messed up and I loose firefox, I can then use safari to download firefox again.

I don't want to say that firefox is without it's problems. It too can be very slow at times, often the program needs to be restarted, but it does not lock up even half the time of Safari.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I use Safari on my Mac and work PC.

Maybe it's me, but I think you are talking about 2 different things or one of you is confused. SnowLeopard2008 is talking about Firefox 3.5 beta and clevin is talking about Firefox 3.1 beta 3.

It's also fun watching the little hissy fit you two are having. :D
no problem, I simply took a step back. Try 3.1 beta 3, works too.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

you know, the good thing about theme, is that if you dont like particular one, you always have options, not to mention you never know when you feel in a different mood someday. :)

picture1cgu.png

picture2w.png

realz

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
New York
I prefer Safari though I love FireFox on Windows

I hate safari 4 on windows and love Firefox.
But on Mac, i just dont like how the fonts look in Firefox, Safari fonts are much better. I've spent hours and hours trying to customize fonts and make them look as good as safari's because i really wanted to use Firefox so i could sync bookmarks, but in the end i gave up...

On Mac, Safari beats Firefox (but thats just me)

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
I would use Safari, but I can't live without Firefox's AwesomeBar, and to date I've not seen a way to entirely duplicate that functionality in Safari 3 (although some mods come close).

NeXTLoop

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2003
Are we still in first grade?

After watching a number of threads devolve into pissing contests, I'm going to take my chances and jump in where angels fear to tread.

Is it absolutely necessary for everyone to get so "territorial" about such an idiotically unimportant issue as what browser a person uses??? The original poster just wanted a poll of how many people use what. And yet within just a few posts Clevin and SnowLeopard2008 had already gotten into, as someone else so eloquently put it, a hissy fit!

Seriously??? Are people so bored that they no longer have any tolerance of another person's opinion? Are we all still in first grade?

I remember a time when coming to forums like these was fun and informative.....

To answer the original poster, I used to use Firefox exclusively. But I got tired of it not conforming to OS X usability standards as well as other browsers. Not using the Keychain, somewhat choppy scrolling behavior, fonts that don't look quite right, etc. Its definitely a good browser, and for some the plugins may make it a necessity. For me though, I'm currently switching between Safari, iCab (which now uses WebKit and is amazingly fast and configurable), and Camino (more compliant interface and integration with OS X while still using Gecko). Haven't decided which of the 3 I like better.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
i tolerate other people's opinion, now, fake facts are what i will never tolerate. When those are floating around. Nobody can be informed.

I don't accuse people lie alot, not at all, I do have a long track record on what I say. I do that only when its getting blatant. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.