Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 3, 2007
I was thinking of adding another 2 gigs of ram to my MacBook Pro. Does Applecare cover any of those costs if I go through Apple?

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
Apple will not help pay for any upgrades, nor can you at any point upgrade a part that is being replaced. For example, if they are replacing a broken HDD, you can not pay to have them install a larger HDD while the product is under APP.

your Plan (i) covers defects for the Apple-branded product(s) listed in your Planʼs Certificate or Proof of Coverage document (“Plan Confirmation”) and the accessories that are contained in the product(s) original packaging (“Covered Equipment”)

Also, even though there is no Apple 'branded' RAM (just Apple 'labeled' or authorized), if you upgrade the RAM (say, from a cheap third-party) and it fries your logic board (not very likely, but possible), it won't be covered. That's not to say if anything happens, you can't swap back in the original sticks that came in your computer. Or, if you upgrade the HDD, to replace it with the original if you take it in for service.

(iv) Problems caused by a device that is not the Covered Equipment, including equipment that is not
Apple-branded, whether or not purchased at the same time as the Covered Equipment;

Furthermore, Apple charges a ridiculous amount for their RAM, and they know it. Get it from a well known third-party (especially if you have the new Unibody).

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
I was thinking of adding another 2 gigs of ram to my MacBook Pro. Does Applecare cover any of those costs if I go through Apple?

Call your local Apple Store, I would think if you bought the ram from Apple they would install it with an appointment. You may be without the computer for a few days, but at those markups I would expect that kind of treatment.

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
Not to be rude, but why do you need an Apple service tech to install something that Apple clearly labels as user-upgradable?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If the buy the RAM from Apple they will install it for you; otherwise it is not covered.

jordan eff

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2008
I asked an apple genius this a few times

they claim that if I buy RAM from crucial and it causes my computer to break then they will fix it if it is still under warranty because they say that I can upgrade it myself they will still cover it, I clarified this with a few of the employees just to make sure it wasn't just one that was telling me this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.