Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Apr 16, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Josh Kahane
macrumors 6502

Keep disconnecting from the internet

Hi

For some time now my internet connection throughout my house has been getting cut off randomly for short amounts of time. This has been going on for several months now, and happening several times each day, the internet may just disconnect randomly for roughly 30 seconds to 2 minutes then come back.

Over this time (having all my macs in the house) still show a signal coming to the airport from the router. Also on the router, all the lights are still lit up during that period, saying its connected as well. We have a BT landline and our ISP is Pipex and we use a NETGEAR DG834N router.

Do you have any ideas why this would? Also importantly, what the cause is?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.
Josh Kahane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:05 AM   #2
LANz
macrumors member

If your running ADSL it could be you ADSL-filter, they do break from time to time. Also updating the router might be a good thing to try.

If that dosent help, try shutting of the router for like 30min and then try it and see if you think it is more stable for a little bit. If so it could be that some capacitors have blown inside the router.
LANz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
belvdr
macrumors 68040

When the outage occurs, ping your router. Next, try logging into your router and get the WAN IP. Now, ping that address.

If that works, your home network is fine, and your router is working.

Next, try doing a traceroute to say google.com and see where the packets stop.
belvdr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking