Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh Kahane

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Suffolk, UK
Hi

For some time now my internet connection throughout my house has been getting cut off randomly for short amounts of time. This has been going on for several months now, and happening several times each day, the internet may just disconnect randomly for roughly 30 seconds to 2 minutes then come back.

Over this time (having all my macs in the house) still show a signal coming to the airport from the router. Also on the router, all the lights are still lit up during that period, saying its connected as well. We have a BT landline and our ISP is Pipex and we use a NETGEAR DG834N router.

Do you have any ideas why this would? Also importantly, what the cause is?

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

LANz

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
If your running ADSL it could be you ADSL-filter, they do break from time to time. Also updating the router might be a good thing to try.

If that dosent help, try shutting of the router for like 30min and then try it and see if you think it is more stable for a little bit. If so it could be that some capacitors have blown inside the router.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
When the outage occurs, ping your router. Next, try logging into your router and get the WAN IP. Now, ping that address.

If that works, your home network is fine, and your router is working.

Next, try doing a traceroute to say google.com and see where the packets stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.