Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:08 PM   #1
cyks
macrumors 68020

Man falls 18 floors, lives to tell

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/africa...eut/index.html

CAPE TOWN, South Africa (Reuters) -- A South African man survived an 18-floor plunge from a Cape Town hotel room and was well enough to call out to amazed rescuers, police said Thursday.

Nicholas du Plooy broke both arms and a leg and also injured his neck late Tuesday after he toppled out of a 19th-floor window at the Cape Town Ritz Hotel late Tuesday.

Nearby restaurant worker Gino Del Giovine told the Cape Argus newspaper he was alerted to the accident by passers-by who burst into his business yelling "Hey, we've just seen a guy flying off the top of the Ritz!"

"I was expecting a real mess," Del Giovine told the newspaper.

Instead, he and others rushing to the scene found du Plooy had crash-landed on the roof of the hotel's ground floor reception, his fall apparently broken by metal roofing sheets.

He was conscious and speaking. "He said, 'I need help, my neck is in pain'," Del Giovine told the newspaper.

After treatment at a nearby hospital, medics pronounced du Plooy "stable, talking and fine."

Police said they believed du Plooy's plunge was accidental but would not speculate on the circumstances. "There's no foul play suspected. The guy just fell out of the window," police spokeswoman Priscilla Ndongeni said.
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:19 PM   #2
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000

Wow! 18 floors, thats like ~180 ft! There's people who fall 20 ft and don't live(but they land on their neck).
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:31 PM   #3
mactastic
macrumors 68040

I remember hearing about some pilot that bailed out either sans parachute or his chute failed, anyway he fell from a couple thousand feet and landed on a webbing of tree branches that broke his fall enough that he survived.

As someone once told me "For humans, unaided flight isn't that difficult. It's the landing that's tough to get right."
Old Apr 22, 2004, 12:55 PM   #4
blackfox
macrumors 65816

This reminds me of the story I read in the aftermath of 9/11...of a guy who fell umpteen stories when the WTC tower he was in (don't remember which) collapsed...he escaped with broken ankles/legs, assorted injuries. Perhaps it was because it was such a terrible event and loss of life, but I just LOVED that guy...people like this gotta have friends upstairs...
blackfox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 01:03 PM   #5
MongoTheGeek
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to MongoTheGeek Send a message via Yahoo to MongoTheGeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfox
This reminds me of the story I read in the aftermath of 9/11...of a guy who fell umpteen stories when the WTC tower he was in (don't remember which) collapsed...he escaped with broken ankles/legs, assorted injuries. Perhaps it was because it was such a terrible event and loss of life, but I just LOVED that guy...people like this gotta have friends upstairs...
When the towers were burning and there were people high up jumping everyone thought that it was something stupid to try/do. When the towers fell almost noone was pulled out of the wreckage. Jumping might have been the smart thing to do.
Old Apr 22, 2004, 01:51 PM   #6
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
ouch OUCH ouch
Old Apr 22, 2004, 02:26 PM   #7
Dippo
macrumors 65816

How do you "accidentally" fall out of an 18th floor window?

That's got to really really hurt!
Old Apr 22, 2004, 02:29 PM   #8
goodwill
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to goodwill
No kidding. I once fell outta bed and that killed.
goodwill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 03:15 PM   #9
cyks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippo
How do you "accidentally" fall out of an 18th floor window?
"Hi, I'm Johnny Knoxville. Welcome to Jackass!"
cyks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 09:15 PM   #10
wdlove
macrumors 604

That is a tragic accident. Someone was watching out for him. Probably with the shock and adrenalin he didn't feel any pain, until later.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 01:49 PM   #11
yamabushi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwill
No kidding. I once fell outta bed and that killed.
I used to fall out of bed all the time when I was growing up. It was the top bunk of a bunk bed. About six feet onto a hard floor. I never even woke up. I guess you could say I am a heavy sleeper.
yamabushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 06:41 PM   #12
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Apparently Humans have a really high terminal velocity making it hard for us to land without dying. I have heard of cats falling out of really tall apartments and since cats have a low terminal velocity, and they spread themselves out when they fall they usually survive.
Whoa that guy is lucky

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events