Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
Can anyone shed some light on this:

Everyone I have spoken to that uses an iPhone (That I personally know/see on a daily basis) keeps moaning to me about the fact that they can't have custom ringtones on their iPhone...

Now nearly all of these people have a Windows laptop so maybe I can see their point and I remember reading that you can buy ringtones from the iTunes store. I just figured there was no software to allow you to create ringtones on the iPhone (I haven't looked around but I would be very surprised if you couldn't find the software somewhere).

Anyway what made this even stranger is that some of my Mac friends started saying this to me as well, there was no way they could create a custom ringtone. At this point I brushed it off as inexperience as I only really have 2 friends that have an in-depth knowledge of Mac and what it can really do.

So I explained (and showed actually) to them how they could import a song from iTunes into GarageBand, and place a loop around the section they want to be their ringtone and export it to iTunes as a ringtone. Simple.

Having just started to read cover to cover MacFormat Issue 207 (May) which is normally my holy grail for anything Mac (As well as MacRumors of course) ;) I read the following paragraph (which is on Page 36 if you're interested)

MacFormat said:
iTunes supports ringtones, but there are restrictions. You're only allowed to create ringtones from tracks bought from the iTunes store. And it doesn't seem to work very well outside of the US. In fact, in many cases it just seems to give an error with no explanation. One way around this is to use the MakeiPhoneRingtone application.

Now this is not true because as I mentioned above, one very easy way around this is just to use GarageBand and export to iTunes (imagine if you will that both these applications are part of one larger package that seemlesly work together, I don't know lets call it iLife...).

Furthur to this, you do not have to have use songs purchased from the iTunes store, you can use songs you have imported from CD or just create your own music in GarageBand.

I am aware that I seem to be stating the obvious here but am I the only person that doesn't get why so many people are having issues with creating iPhone ringtones? Surely not? :confused:

Legolai

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2009
there is also a way of creating ringtones within itunes itself, involving converting the song and picking the length and stuff, but i wouldnt know as i just use garageband, ive never had a problem making a ringtone with garageband and importing it to itunes in the whole time ive had my 3G..

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
People are lazy, if they can't download the ringtone from AT&T or have a friend send it to them....
There must be a few thousand threads and how to guides on teh interwebz how to make iPhone/download ring tones.

audiko.net

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't get it either. The GarageBand method isn't highly publicized, but if you're on here you probably know about it. Considering how stupid ringtone licensing is (99 cents to download a song, another 99 cents for a copy 1/6 the size, or buy for other phones for more money), I have no problem with taking the darn iTunes music files and making my own.

If your friends with Windows don't get it, it's their own fault. :)

iSimon

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2008
Glasgow
there is also a way of creating ringtones within itunes itself, involving converting the song and picking the length and stuff, but i wouldnt know as i just use garageband, ive never had a problem making a ringtone with garageband and importing it to itunes in the whole time ive had my 3G..
I have a Windows PC as my main PC and creating ringtones from any song in iTunes is pretty simple and completely free!

1. Ensure iTunes is set to export/import in AAC format (Edit.. Preferences.. Import Settings.. and pick AAC from the dropdown).
2. Right click the song you want as ringtone and select Get Info and then the Options tab.
3. Adjust Start & Stop times to get the part of the song you want (can be up to 35 seconds in total) and close Get Info.
4. Right click song again and select "Create AAC version", and then go back into Get Info and undo the Start / Stop time adjustments.
5. Locate the .m4a file that was just created (Get Info will tell you where it is) and rename it to .m4r and then double click it to import it into iTunes as a ringtone.
6. Importing the ringtone into iTunes copies the file to the ringtones directory so you can delete the .m4r file that you just renamed from the .m4a that was created.
7. Sync your iPhone!

Alternatively there a number of websites that will do it for you for free too.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My theory is, if you're too lazy google "make ringtones for iPhone" than you're the sort of person who will be happy paying $0.99 to buy a ringtone.

That's why they charge that much, actually. There are a ton of people like that out there.

Oh well, there's really not much we can do except help our closest friends. But the majority are just going to pay for them.

Ingster

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
I'm a mac user and my other iphone friends are pc users, so if they want some ringtones i make them up in garageband and email them to em!

If your a pc user you've just gotta make sure there's one :apple: fanboy around to keep making the ringtones for your iphone!

iNash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
I have a Windows PC as my main PC and creating ringtones from any song in iTunes is pretty simple and completely free!

1. Ensure iTunes is set to export/import in AAC format (Edit.. Preferences.. Import Settings.. and pick AAC from the dropdown).
2. Right click the song you want as ringtone and select Get Info and then the Options tab.
3. Adjust Start & Stop times to get the part of the song you want (can be up to 35 seconds in total) and close Get Info.
4. Right click song again and select "Create AAC version", and then go back into Get Info and undo the Start / Stop time adjustments.
5. Locate the .m4a file that was just created (Get Info will tell you where it is) and rename it to .m4r and then double click it to import it into iTunes as a ringtone.
6. Importing the ringtone into iTunes copies the file to the ringtones directory so you can delete the .m4r file that you just renamed from the .m4a that was created.
7. Sync your iPhone!

Alternatively there a number of websites that will do it for you for free too.

iSimon, thanks for this! :)

I'll pass this on to the guys at work - legend! :)

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I like using GarageBand because I can control the bass on the ringtone. Just using a straight-up m4a file and renaming it doesn't work well on the iPhone speakers. I'll usually turn down the bass to minimize distortion and retain a clearer ringtone. I've also set up a Ringtone specific GarageBand project that I use to make my ringtones that have all the settings set for me already. By the way... it's no secret that GarageBand can make ringtones because it's got the "Export Ringtone" feature built right into it.

iNash

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hanslope, UK
By the way... it's no secret that GarageBand can make ringtones because it's got the "Export Ringtone" feature built right into it.

My thoughts exactly, not sure how you could miss that?! Unles they have never opened GarageBand before?

AllEars

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2009
I have an easier method. Go to Audiko: http://audiko.net/

You can upload any song, or YouTube url and they will help crop it. Completely free, completely legit. Works amazingly. You can export in various different formats, including m4a, then just import into iTunes. Easy as pie.

diemos

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
it's probably faster to search for help than waiting for reply.
but to answer your question... I don't know :)

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Thanks :) I don't particularly want to make a ringtone at the moment - I was just interested in the statement by TheSpaz that "It's no secret that Garage Band can make ringtones.....". From what you say, it is a secret to all those who have an earlier version! :D

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks :) I don't particularly want to make a ringtone at the moment - I was just interested in the statement by TheSpaz that "It's no secret that Garage Band can make ringtones.....". From what you say, it is a secret to all those who have an earlier version! :D

How old is that version? I've been able to do it even before iLife '08.

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I think Windows users can do it too. The ringtone is simply a cut m4a file renamed to m4r.

I think what most people are moaning about is the time it takes. You can't just select a song from your library. You'd need to actually get on the computer, cut it, then export, then sync.

Receiving ringtones through bluetooth or using a current song is a lot faster and convenient.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I might add you don't need GarageBand - or even a Mac for that matter - to create ring tones. Any audio program will work, so long as you can save the files as the right track type (.m4a), and then you simply rename the extension to .m4r and you now have a ringtone.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
My theory is, if you're too lazy google "make ringtones for iPhone" than you're the sort of person who will be happy paying $0.99 to buy a ringtone.

That's why they charge that much, actually. There are a ton of people like that out there.

Oh well, there's really not much we can do except help our closest friends. But the majority are just going to pay for them.

This.

Google has it all. Why people don't just Google things is beyond me.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Same statement goes for about everything. I hate it when someone asks a question that can be answered with a five word or less Google search. About as bad as when my boss asks for people's phone numbers when we have all been given phone lists (and some of us use iPhones to store cell numbers).

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
I have an easier method. Go to Audiko: http://audiko.net/

You can upload any song, or YouTube url and they will help crop it. Completely free, completely legit. Works amazingly. You can export in various different formats, including m4a, then just import into iTunes. Easy as pie.

Awesome site. Been using it for the past week. All you do is download the ringtone and then drag and drop it into the ringtone section on iTunes.

sureideas

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Maybe try importing the original ringtone from the old phone into Garage Band (if you're running a Mac) and click Share->Send Ringtone to iTunes. Once it's in there, rename the song title accordingly.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
It's a stupid restriction by Apple to make money. I use garageband to do custom, my dad uses some program that allows any mp3 to be a ringtone on his windows machine.

In general Apple should let up on this in 3.0, especially with MMS. I remeber when i was on Verizon my friends would send me funny/cool sounds all the time and i'd set them to my ringtone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.