Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:35 AM   #1
fang shi tong
macrumors newbie

viewing iTunes rental on Apple TV

I've rented a movie from iTunes by using my MBP, i.e. I did not rent directly on Apple TV, but rather on my computer. I now find that Apple TV does not "see" the rented movie even though it is sitting there in my Rented Movies folder in iTunes. Any ideas on how I can see this movie through Apple TV? Thanks.
fang shi tong is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:48 AM   #2
dmm219
macrumors 6502

The ability to rent HD movies in iTunes (not the ATV) is new with the latest version of iTunes. In the past, if you rented an HD movie on your ATV, if was not transferable, even to another ATV. I haven't experimented with this issue since the latest Itunes was released.

Is there anyway to chose to sync the rented movie to your ATV in your ATV settings in Itunes?
dmm219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 09:58 AM   #3
fang shi tong
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmm219 View Post
Is there anyway to chose to sync the rented movie to your ATV in your ATV settings in Itunes?
From Preferences? Nah, not much there. If it's true that I cannot view this movie through Apple TV, it will be one more indication (among many) that Apple is just not interested in ATV.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:36 AM   #4
zedsdead
macrumors 68030

You should be able to go into the Movies Tab under the Apple TV from within iTunes, and transfer the rental movie that way.
zedsdead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:43 AM   #5
dmm219
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fang shi tong View Post
From Preferences? Nah, not much there. If it's true that I cannot view this movie through Apple TV, it will be one more indication (among many) that Apple is just not interested in ATV.
No, not preferences, goto the atv in your devices list in Itunes. You should see a tab for movies (as well as podcast, music, tvshow..etc). Go to the movies tab and see if your rented movie is listed there. If it is, just check the box next to movie and sync it to your ATV (you may have to use custom sync in order to do this).

Again I haven't tried it...I imaged you CAN do this tho....
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:53 AM   #6
MacBoobsPro
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to MacBoobsPro
I dont think you can watch a rented movie from iTunes on your ATV. To view a rental on your ATV it has to be rented via the ATV. I may be wrong and sincerely hope I am.

A rented movie on the ATV will create a new menu item called Rented Movies whereby you should be able to see the movie. It will not show up in 'my movies'.
MacBoobsPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
pablol
macrumors member

Unfortunately if you rent a movie on your Mac, you are hosed and cannot move it to ATV, only to an iPod/iPhone.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:19 AM   #8
dmm219
macrumors 6502

that stinks...thats something Apple needs to fix pronto...i might even send them an email about it...

...sometimes it would be nice to order rental movie while at work, and have it ready to go on the TV at home. And if I have a trip coming up, and I rented something on ATV, it would be nice to move it to the ipod for the trip...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Shuttleworth
macrumors regular

According to the Apple support site, you should be able to rent on iTunes on your computer and watch it on TV. The feature requires the latest software on the TV.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1390
Shuttleworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 11:38 AM   #10
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

You have to access your ATV from the itunes tab on your computer. You can then transfer it to the ATV itself from the computer It will not show up on your ATV to stream.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2009, 10:38 PM   #11
fang shi tong
macrumors newbie

I installed the ATV update and......it works! I can now see (not previously) the rented movie under the Movies tab in ATV in iTunes. Many thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater