Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
I recently have had problems with my headphones not working correctly unless "spun" the correct way. Today I took a look inside the jack, and noticed that the metal band seems to be cracked or broken. If you look around the rim, it goes from a silverish color to a white color, as if half the metal band broke off. There is also a small chunk next to the headphone jack missing. I am assuming the crack within the jack is what is causing this problem.

Has anyone had this problem? I am hoping Best Buy or the Apple Store will replace this when I finish college next week!

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I recently have had problems with my headphones not working correctly unless "spun" the correct way. Today I took a look inside the jack, and noticed that the metal band seems to be cracked or broken. If you look around the rim, it goes from a silverish color to a white color, as if half the metal band broke off. There is also a small chunk next to the headphone jack missing. I am assuming the crack within the jack is what is causing this problem.

Has anyone had this problem? I am hoping Best Buy or the Apple Store will replace this when I finish college next week!
Apple store is probably better choice and yes if you are within 1 yr of purchase.

sureideas

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
First, the iPhone’s headphone input apparently has a small sensor inside of it that, when covered (ie by lint), prevents the phone from activating the headphone’s microphone and other functions. If you have a can of compressed air insert it into the jack’s opening and blow making sure to tilt throughout the entire area.

If you don’t have compressed air, the hack-ish solution is take your heaphones and insert it into the iPhone repeatedly and quickly. It should clear up the sensor.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2008
And I am assuming a certain amount of heavy handidness has caused the problem! ;)

I thought I took care of it! Maybe I was wrong :p. The screen is not cracked though! So that is good :).

The iPhone is surprisingly durable!

I will check out the Apple store next week when I finish my semester!! :)

Brandon

atticus18244fsa

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Waterloo, ON

Whenever my headphones twist around in my headphone port or move only a little bit a loud crackling occurs. Not sure why but I know somethings wrong. I've just put up with it.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Whenever my headphones twist around in my headphone port or move only a little bit a loud crackling occurs. Not sure why but I know somethings wrong. I've just put up with it.

That happens in almost all headphone jacks. That doesn't mean there's a problem with the jack.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I had a similar problem, but for me the mic part of my headphones stopped working. I took it to the apple store and he said that my water sensor was tripped so its not covered. I've never dropped it in water or gotten it wet. Apple really has a talent for screwing over its customers.

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
I used to have this problem. My mic and controls on my headphones weren't working. I then realized that I couldn't even see the water sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack. I stuck a toothpick in the headphone jack and gently fished out a LOT of lint...as soon as i cleaned the jack out and made sure it was lint free, everything worked flawlessly.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I used to have this problem. My mic and controls on my headphones weren't working. I then realized that I couldn't even see the water sensor at the bottom of the headphone jack. I stuck a toothpick in the headphone jack and gently fished out a LOT of lint...as soon as i cleaned the jack out and made sure it was lint free, everything worked flawlessly.

Shortly after this post, I did a search and found that someone recommended cutting the tip of qtip off(so it will fit) and dipping the remaining cotton in rubbing alcohol (Ring it out first), and cleaning. It worked like a charm!

v15h44l

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
thnx for the advice here! My mic and button hadn't been working for months now. I found it very annoying as everytime i was listening to music and recieved a phone call i would have to unplug and headphones and then answer.

Sitting here at work, I managed to get a paper clip and remove "a lot" of lint frm inside the jack!

Now working like a charm!

:-D

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
thnx for the advice here! My mic and button hadn't been working for months now. I found it very annoying as everytime i was listening to music and recieved a phone call i would have to unplug and headphones and then answer.

Sitting here at work, I managed to get a paper clip and remove "a lot" of lint frm inside the jack!

Now working like a charm!

:-D

we are not paying you $40 per hour to mess with your iPhone. Now GET BACK TO WORK!

simulacra

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2008
Yea, had the same problem with lint in my headphone jack so that the button/mic stopped working, some percussive maintenance and fidgeting with a lockpick later, all things are well :)

Tombio

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I had this problem for about a month on my iPhone 3Gs/V-Moda Remix Remote. I almost sent my headphones back to manufacturer for replacing, but then I tried the airblower method and it worked like a charm. :)

Thanks for help, this saved me a ton of time and effort since I would have had to send the headphones back to US from EU which is time consuming not to mention the price of shipping.

Casasdeluz

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus18244fsa

That happens in almost all headphone jacks. That doesn't mean there's a problem with the jack.

Late post here but just encountered the same with my 3GS phone. And no it doesn't happen on most phones, not until, in this case, this is not a lint or dirt issue but rather a jack that is not making contact with the plug, due to some distortion in the jack itself, (contacts and or housing itself) and the phone or jack needs to be replaced. This just started 3 weeks ago with a complaint from several people that they just weren't hearing me all that well with some distortion. I tried a new a new set of ear phones, same problem. Then the clicking and noise level distortion started and kept getting worse. -- All this to say, it isn't normal and hope you were able to resolve your issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.