Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Apr 17, 2009, 06:29 PM   #1
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Version and Cornerstone

There's a good run down of these two Mac subversion clients here http://jadeohlhauser.com/2008/c_vs_v/

Both seem pretty slick and Mac-like, any thoughts / experiences from the Mac people here?

Or do you stick with built in IDE support, cli and such like...

The apps:

http://www.zennaware.com/cornerstone/
http://versionsapp.com/

I mean Versions in the title
Old Apr 17, 2009, 07:02 PM   #2
lazydog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to lazydog
I've been using versions for a while now and love it. It works really well with beanstalkapp. The only problem I have is with versioning pages documents - if anyone has an easy solution I'd love to know about it. I find it really useful to have all my projects under the one SCM app so have given up with SCM in Xcode. I gave cornerstone a look but went with versions in the end for some reason which I can't remember now. That was some time ago so perhaps cornerstone has caught up now. In any case, I would certainly recommend looking at beanstalkapp to pair up some offline storage with your SCM client.

B e n
lazydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:06 AM   #3
larkost
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazydog View Post
I've been using versions for a while now and love it. It works really well with beanstalkapp. The only problem I have is with versioning pages documents - if anyone has an easy solution I'd love to know about it. I find it really useful to have all my projects under the one SCM app so have given up with SCM in Xcode. I gave cornerstone a look but went with versions in the end for some reason which I can't remember now. That was some time ago so perhaps cornerstone has caught up now. In any case, I would certainly recommend looking at beanstalkapp to pair up some offline storage with your SCM client.

B e n
I too have been using Versions. I reviewed both it and Conerstone as I needed a SVN client just as the both were comming out, and found both to be good. I would up with Versions, but could just have easily gone with Corenerstone.

And lazydog: the solution is to upgrade to iWork '09. They have changed the file format from a bundle to a zip-wrapped bundle and it works fine with SVN now (as a BLOB that is... no diffs).
larkost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 04:14 AM   #4
lazydog
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to lazydog
Thanks Larkost, I will be ordering iWork09 today!
b e n
lazydog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2009, 05:00 AM   #5
garethlewis2
macrumors 6502

I use Cornerstone.

I tried both Versions and Cornerstone and the only thing that tipped it for me was the discount that Mac Developer were offering on Cornerstone. I got a 75% discount.

I would recommend either even if you are used to the SVN command line tools. They make everything so easy. Setting up new repositories to adding existing repositories is so easy.

I can understand that the hardcore Linux users (read mentally unstable) will be frothing at the mouth at anything that takes away from the command line, but I would rather get on with the job I am tasked with, instead of trying to remember the commands that add files to a repository then commit them.
garethlewis2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:09 PM   #6
AlmostThere
macrumors 6502a

Location: The royal throne of kings, the sceptred isle, the other Eden, the fortress built
Having used both for a while now, I have to say that I prefer Cornerstone.

I agree with nearly everything in the review http://jadeohlhauser.com/2008/c_vs_v/ but it is the integrated file viewer and change log that makes it easiest for me.

I am using svn for a wide range of projects and it complements built-in IDE support very well. The only let down right now is 1. no Subversion 1.6 (coming) and 2. I wish you could change the font in the contents window. Versions just felt like it didn't really offer me the file access I wanted ...
Old Jun 30, 2009, 03:24 PM   #7
elppa
macrumors 68040

Neither have any support for merging, which may be important.
elppa is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming