Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tee.Nutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
UK
I have got a new iMac and i'm using the digital out to connect to my speakers, which have a digital in.

I have a mini TOSlink out to a "TOSlink to RCA converter" and RCA to the digital in of my speakers. This maybe a fiddly way of doing it, but what the heck i'm happy it's working :)

The question I have will I be losing any quality in the sound, i'm pretty sure I wouldn't because it digital, but I just want a little clarification.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I take it your speakers are self powered and have onboard D-A converters then?

You'll unlikely to have audible problems, some jitter maybe, I'm not sure what you mean by an RCA digital input, SP/dif maybe?

Provided the link cable is doing it's job properly, the digital info will reach the D-A converters in good shape.

Tee.Nutter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
UK
Yep sorry I have a phono connection in my speakers which is S/PDIF, so have to convert TOSlink to phono.

No heard any jitters at all, sounds pretty good. Just wanted clarification if any of the quality of sound would be lost in the conversion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.