Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
Hi guys (and gals),

I'm running Windows Vista x64 so i decided today to install the 64 bit version of iTunes. After installing it i checked the task manager and saw that it was still reported as a 32 bit program, also my iPhone does not seem to be detected.

I was just wondering if i installed the wrong version or if there was something i missed.

Here is a screenshot of my task manager to help illustrate what i am talking about.

Thanks for any help.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Have made sure it's not a hardware issue?

Check your USB ports, dock connector, etc.

Exley

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
thanks for the reply.

I just tried syncing again with a different USB port and a different dock cable, but had no luck. I'm assuming that this is related to my recent iTunes install because i synced successfully the other day with 32bit iTunes.

UPDATE

I believe i figured out what is going on here. in order to troubleshoot my problem i re-installed iTunes with the default installer. After installing i tried to connect my iPhone, and got an error message saying somthing along the lines of "the drivers included with this version of iTunes are intended for 32bit versions of windows. Please re-install iTunes using the 64bit installer".

I did some searching and found this post http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=243048 it turns out that the 64bit installer includes 64bit drivers but the program file (itunes.exe) is still 32bit. This explained why it was being reported as 32bit in task manager.

So i re-installed iTunes again this time using a freshly downloaded version of the 64bit installer and now everything is working correctly. I guess iTunes just did not install correctly the first time i tried the 64bit installer.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
I just noticed this myself.
What is the point of installing x64 version of itunes then if the program only runs 32bit?

thanks for the reply.

I just tried syncing again with a different USB port and a different dock cable, but had no luck. I'm assuming that this is related to my recent iTunes install because i synced successfully the other day with 32bit iTunes.

UPDATE

I believe i figured out what is going on here. in order to troubleshoot my problem i re-installed iTunes with the default installer. After installing i tried to connect my iPhone, and got an error message saying somthing along the lines of "the drivers included with this version of iTunes are intended for 32bit versions of windows. Please re-install iTunes using the 64bit installer".

I did some searching and found this post http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t=243048 it turns out that the 64bit installer includes 64bit drivers but the program file (itunes.exe) is still 32bit. This explained why it was being reported as 32bit in task manager.

So i re-installed iTunes again this time using a freshly downloaded version of the 64bit installer and now everything is working correctly. I guess iTunes just did not install correctly the first time i tried the 64bit installer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.