Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:46 AM   #1
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
17" HD question

Ok, I am really tiring of my 4200rpm drive.

Problem is, it is not a user replaceable part. I have applecare, and I am not waiting three years to replace it.

can i take my book to an apple authorized reseller, and my new FAST hd and have them swap the two, and still be under warranty?

i might just do it myself, and if i have problems just put the old drive back in, if the tech wants to change me too much. 10 minutes of work is NOT worth $60.

Last edited by idkew; Apr 24, 2004 at 08:19 AM.
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:19 AM   #2
idkew
macrumors 68020

anyone?
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 07:55 PM   #3
idkew
macrumors 68020

come on everyone, someone can help me...

can i take my book to an apple authorized reseller, and my new FAST hd and have them swap the two, and still be under warranty?
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:13 PM   #4
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Nope...

can't be done that way. And from what I have learned from talking to various reseller techs, a 7200 rpm hard drive is not going to make that big of a diff. You are still hampered by the 167mhz (or whatever it is) system bus.
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 08:34 PM   #5
chico3
macrumors newbie

Yup

A 7200RPM drive would make a noticeable increase in performance because the bottle neck in any computer. As far as a 10minute job speaking from experience it would take more like half an hour.
chico3 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:28 PM   #6
idkew
macrumors 68020

i understand the limitations of my laptop. i know what a faster drive will do for me.

my questions is: will apple or another authorized service provider swap drive that i supply them with, and still keep my applecare intact?
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 09:35 PM   #7
Counterfit
macrumors 601

If you go to an Authorized Reseller: maybe.
If you go to an Authorized Repair Center: yes
If you go to an Apple Store: If they do it, it will be under warranty.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:03 PM   #8
chico3
macrumors newbie

Applecare

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkew
i understand the limitations of my laptop. i know what a faster drive will do for me.

my questions is: will apple or another authorized service provider swap drive that i supply them with, and still keep my applecare intact?
Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.
chico3 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:38 PM   #9
tomf87

At any rate, the hard drive is not considered a user-replaceable part on the PB 17". You have to dismantle the entire top half of the system to get access. I think tearing open the case would be considered modifying the system, so I'd take it to Apple.

Better yet, why not call an Apple Store to see what they'll do for you. They'd give you more of a positive answer than we could.
tomf87 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:59 PM   #10
chico3
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomf87
At any rate, the hard drive is not considered a user-replaceable part on the PB 17". You have to dismantle the entire top half of the system to get access. I think tearing open the case would be considered modifying the system, so I'd take it to Apple.

Better yet, why not call an Apple Store to see what they'll do for you. They'd give you more of a positive answer than we could.
I am a Apple certified technician and you will get conflicting answers depending who you talk to. If Apple suspects that the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product damages the computer. Apple will refuse to repair it or not reimburse the Apple Authorized Service Provider for the cost of parts and repairs.

Putting in a faster HD may seem harmless but you have to consider the heat issues. If Apple did not include a 7200RPM drive as a CTO option chances are the Powerbook was never designed to use it.
chico3 is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:43 PM   #11
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico3
If Apple did not include a 7200RPM drive as a CTO option chances are the Powerbook was never designed to use it.
Luckily, it was such a option on the 1.25GHz and later 17" PB's
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:11 AM   #12
chico3
macrumors newbie

Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit
The original 1.25 never had the option for 7200 or 5400.
chico3 is offline   0
Old Apr 27, 2004, 07:35 AM   #13
idkew
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counterfit

only 5400, not 7200rpm

Last edited by idkew; Apr 27, 2004 at 07:48 AM.
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 07:10 PM   #14
Counterfit
macrumors 601

Quote:
only 5400, not 7200rpm
Ah right, whoopsie
Old Apr 28, 2004, 07:58 PM   #15
legion
macrumors 6502a

Apple Resellers, Apple Authorized Repair Centers, and Apple Stores will NOT do a hard drive upgrade to a 7200rpm drive. Apple does not authorize anyone to perform that upgrade. I had heard at one time (after they became optional on PBs) that Apple would allow Repair Centers to do upgrades to 5400rpm drives, but no Repair Center has ever confirmed that.

That's the answer to your question. If you do it yourself, you void the warranty and no one else will do it for you while keeping your warranty intact.

You're stuck with what you've got.

Last edited by legion; Apr 28, 2004 at 08:56 PM.
legion is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:06 PM   #16
Bhennies
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ok, I am really tiring of my 4200rpm drive.

Problem is, it is not a user replaceable part. I have applecare, and I am not waiting three years to replace it.

i might just do it myself, and if i have problems just put the old drive back in, if the tech wants to change me too much. 10 minutes of work is NOT worth $60.
Get a Lacie FW800 as a boot drive. I know of people who do this. Hook up a second one for files. This is common for audio/video editing.
Bhennies is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:10 PM   #17
topicolo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhennies
Get a Lacie FW800 as a boot drive. I know of people who do this. Hook up a second one for files. This is common for audio/video editing.
Doesn't that kinda defeat the whole portability thing?

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers