Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ux4all

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Not sure what provoked me into this setup other than OCD. Swapped out the superdrive for an Optibay.

I am somewhat new to the forums so let me know. Other than quickbench, this is a brand new rig all patched up.

Added extended test results.

Attachments

• RAIDX25.jpg
    RAIDX25.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 148
  • extended.jpg
    extended.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 100

ux4all

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Updated: After Snow Leopard

Updated to Snow Leopard and had a huge performance hit. Moreover, sleep no longer functioned *at all*. Since this is an app only machine, image restoration is pretty simple and straightforward. Wiped disks as close to as new as possible ( erased the current raid, reformatted, recreated the RAID 0 with a 64k stripe ). I will need to recalibrate the battery, but reset PRAM etc should have this machine pretty close (firmware updates aside).

Running 10.5.8 - RAID 0 with dual X25-M in a MBu 2.0 with the optibay swapped out. Status: No issues

Running 10.6.1 - RAID 0 updated from 10.5.8. Sleep does not function.

Running 10.6.1 - RAID 0 created from scratch. Sleep does not function.

Restored to 10.5.8 and am back to running at monster speed. Yeah, no SL for me. Perhaps I'll retest on 10.6.2 if so inclined.

Only app on this image is Firefox and the default OS X install apps. Customized without add ons (no X11).

I'll post updates in hopes someone else is having these issues with SL.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Did you ever get Snow Leopard running? I'm thinking about running dual 200GB OWC SSDs with the new MacBook Pro update coming out soon... but I'm not willing to drop to Leopard to do that...

ux4all

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Chicago, IL, USA
Did you ever get Snow Leopard running? I'm thinking about running dual 200GB OWC SSDs with the new MacBook Pro update coming out soon... but I'm not willing to drop to Leopard to do that...

I figured I would revisit this thread. I waited for a bit before updating, however some of my sleep issues persist though my speed scores are decent.

1. When I sleep, it takes the machine about 30 seconds and the display remains active (the Apple is lit).
2. The speed really isn't what it was with Leopard. The machine is still fairly stock, running FF5 and only Apple apps.
3. I decided, due to work requirements, to pump up the RAM to 8 GB. No kernel panics, but no real performance hit when running a ton of apps...

I know it took me a bit to update this thread, it was one I had forgotten to mark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.