Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:01 AM   #1
random818
macrumors newbie

2nd Airport Extreme not seen in Airport Utility

I bought the new airport extreme to extend the wifi range in my household and hoped to share a hdd. Upon my experience and reading the forums, the sharing hdd is not as easy as I thought. But that is not my issue at the moment.

My issue is with extending the network. A couple weeks of ago, I did the setup to connect the two airport extremes together (older round AE & new box AE) using aiport utility. It seemed to have work because the signal was stronger in a part of the house that usually had 0 to 1 bar.

But shortly after, the signal showed itself as inconsistent. The signal strenght is jumpy from 0 to full bars. And right now, I am sitting in a part of the house that used to have 0 bars and now, I get full bars. And yet my mbp cannot see the newer, closer in distance AE.

What's going on here?
random818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
rgarjr
macrumors 603

U should make the newer AEBS as your main router and have the older one as the extender.

I'm running a similar setup as u.
rgarjr is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 12:56 PM   #3
random818
macrumors newbie

That seems to work. Network seems stable now. It also seemed to fix my issues with sharing a hdd.

THANKS!
random818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
martin1000
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
U should make the newer AEBS as your main router and have the older one as the extender.

I'm running a similar setup as u.
How do you make the new AE the main router and the old primary the new secondary?

Thanks!
martin1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 04:37 PM   #5
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

@ martin1000: Set up the newer base station as the one hooked into the cable/DSL modem, make sure via manual setup that it will allow the network to be extended. Then set up the older base station to extend the network generated by the primary one.

You'll probably want to start off the process by hard resetting both units to the default configuration by holding in the reset button with a paper clip until they blink amber rapidly. Make sure also that you're connected to the Apple Network name being broadcast by the newer Extreme, which should be identifiable according to its AirPort hardware ID.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2009, 09:36 AM   #6
martin1000
macrumors regular

JediMeister,

This worked perfectly, thank you!

The AEBS is now the secondary unit.

As the secondary unit, is there a way to make it .11 g only? There is not an option for radio signal when it is a secondary unit.

Thanks again!
martin1000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals