Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolfox

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Here's my problem, I have a 1st gen Iphone that I cannot unlock. When the slide to unlock thing pops up I touch it but cannot slide it. The only way that I can get to the main screen is by restarting the phone every time i want to use it but then I have to wait for it to load. It is only the bottom portion of the screen that does not work so no phone, mail, safari, or ipod. I have restored the phone and I still cannot unlock it any suggestions on how to fix this???

steve10172

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
London UK
Looks like you cant "hard reset" your phone as bottom half of screen is not working.
Have you tried restoring in "DFU" mode?, I would give it a go.

JFJS

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
Screen and Volume buttons non responsive

Okay so heres the problem:

iPhone 2g 8GB, in immaculate condition and for some reason, the complete touch screen is non responsive and so are the volume buttons. The home, sleep/wake and silent switch all work. Vibration and sound all work. When sim is put in it has reception and calls are coming through but cant answer because the screen is non responsive.

I have tried the hard reset (i.e. Home and sleep buttons for tens seconds) several times and it doesn't rectify the problem.

Also plugged into itunes and have restored several times and also doesn't make any difference.

Took is to apple Genius and they offered two outrageous solutions:
1) Replace for £139
2) Repair for £125 returned in 3 Days

The iPhone is out of warranty.

Does anyone else have any solutions.
As I said the phone is immaculate but the Touch Screen and Volume buttons are non responsive.

tigerblue711

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2007
I'm having the exact same issue. I'm out of warranty also, and I don't want to get a 3G with new iPhone coming out this summer.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Everything works fine except the bottom row touch sensors.

FiXPOD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Sydney
If some of the touch screen is unresponsive, then unfortunately it is more than likely a broken digitiser, which requires replacement of the lcd/digitiser/front screen assembly (all one integrated unit in the case of the iPhone 2G).

If the entire digitizer touch sensor is not responding, then possibly you'll be lucky and have a connector that has popped off. Honestly it is unlikely given the design of the connector, which clicks in and is sandwiched between the board and the chassis, but it is definitely possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.