Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Double J
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
OMG I'm going to KILL whoever made Apple software updater

So I'm rockin' out on Guitar Hero 3 on my PC; start off with some warm-ups, a little "My Name is Jonas" and "Paint it Black." Then I move to something more meaty -- "One." I usually do pretty good on One (the fast solo always screws me though), but this time I'm just NAILING it. So far PERFECT all the way from the beginning. My note streak is at 900+, the fast solo is coming up, and I am just in the groove. All of a sudden, the screen freezes. No, no, dear GOD no, not a blue screen now. But it's not.

The game minimizes to desktop, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me. This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose platform doesn't run any games. It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes, AND they try to sneak Safari in there too, but no, they're not done yet. They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing. And there's not even a straightforward way to turn this crap off, it's under scheduled tasks or something.

I don't think my rage meter has ever been so high. If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body. And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.
Double J is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:27 PM   #2
bozz2006
macrumors 68030
 
bozz2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
now you'll know to set it to manual update check so you can avoid that in the future. and... guitar hero is more important than updating software? really? lol. sorry dude. you'll nail it next time and dominate that solo.
bozz2006 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:33 PM   #3
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me.
So there I am, playing World In Conflict, and what happens? The program minimizes, I am automatically logged off, and the screen comes up showing that Microsoft updates are installing. My computer then shuts down.

Quote:
This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose platform doesn't run any games.
Again, MICROSOFT SOFTWARE UPDATE. Incorrect bias.

Quote:
It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes
Windows Media Player.

Quote:
They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing.
Again, MICROSOFT SOFTWARE UPDATE.

Quote:
If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body.
Better do the same to Microsoft.

Quote:
And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.
Yeah, you keep thinking that, and I'll sleep safer knowing that very soon you will be in jail for the rest of your life.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Apr 22, 2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: rude
Tallest Skil is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:39 PM   #4
Double J
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I've never had Windows Update interrupt a fullscreen app. Maybe it's a setting, but it's never happened. And it doesn't FORCE you to download Media Player updates -- you can always elect not to.
Double J is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601
 
sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarcasmville.
Sounds like when I'm playing Tap Tap Revenge on my iPhone and the low battery warning comes up...
__________________
Official MR IRC
Look at me, I'm own a bunch of things and everyone must know about every single one.
sammich is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
I've never had Windows Update interrupt a fullscreen app. Maybe it's a setting, but it's never happened. And it doesn't FORCE you to download Media Player updates -- you can always elect not to.
I'm not talking about media player updates, I'm talking about the media player itself. You're forced to have it.
Tallest Skil is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 05:59 PM   #7
iMacmatician
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
So I'm rockin' out on Guitar Hero 3 on my PC; start off with some warm-ups, a little "My Name is Jonas" and "Paint it Black." Then I move to something more meaty -- "One." I usually do pretty good on One (the fast solo always screws me though), but this time I'm just NAILING it. So far PERFECT all the way from the beginning. My note streak is at 900+, the fast solo is coming up, and I am just in the groove. All of a sudden, the screen freezes. No, no, dear GOD no, not a blue screen now. But it's not.

The game minimizes to desktop, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY application I might be running in fullscreen. You have got to be ******* KIDDING me.
Stuff like this happens on PCs too, with other applications instead of software update (don't know about software update). But I totally understand; it's annoying for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes
iTunes uses QuickTime to play media.
__________________
"There is no 5.5" iPhone." - 1080p
"iPhone 6 Plus has a resolution of 1920 by 1080" - Apple
iMacmatician is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:00 PM   #8
faustfire
macrumors 6502a
 
faustfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Wow...interrupted GH...if that's not the end of the world I don't know what is.
faustfire is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:29 PM   #9
brad.c
macrumors 68020
 
brad.c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 50.813669°, -2.474796°
This is nothing but a rant with no more meat than one against the cable company for having an outage during the Superbowl.

But I did laugh in a cruel, unsympathetic fashion. For that, Double J, I am truly sorry.
__________________
Excuse me. Where do you keep your "Self Help" books?

Last edited by Doctor Q; Apr 22, 2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: off-topic
brad.c is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 06:51 PM   #10
Double J
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad.c View Post
This is nothing but a rant with no more meat than one against the cable company for having an outage during the Superbowl.
No, it's not the same as that at all, because you can design a program to detect if a full-screen app is running. What happened to me is more like the infamous "Heidi incident," where NBC cut off an extremely dramatic Raiders vs. Jets game to show a Heidi movie. People were rightly angry, and ever since then sporting events are shown to the end.
Double J is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:07 PM   #11
bozz2006
macrumors 68030
 
bozz2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
No, it's not the same as that at all, because you can design a program to detect if a full-screen app is running. What happened to me is more like the infamous "Heidi incident," where NBC cut off an extremely dramatic Raiders vs. Jets game to show a Heidi movie. People were rightly angry, and ever since then sporting events are shown to the end.
This is exactly like that! Come on dude. It's just a video game.
bozz2006 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Double J
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozz2006 View Post
This is exactly like that! Come on dude. It's just a video game.
Have you ever played Guitar Hero? Do you know hard it is to get a perfect like that? Eat it.
Double J is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 07:58 PM   #13
brad.c
macrumors 68020
 
brad.c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: 50.813669°, -2.474796°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Have you ever played Guitar Hero? Do you know hard it is to get a perfect like that? Eat it.
Well, then I will gently suggest you play important games on dedicated consoles.
__________________
Excuse me. Where do you keep your "Self Help" books?
brad.c is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:16 PM   #14
Tallest Skil
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Have you ever played Guitar Hero? Do you know hard it is to get a perfect like that?
It's. A. Game. Edit your post to remove the sentence that I have removed in my quote, please. Soon.
Tallest Skil is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Mintin8
macrumors 6502a
 
Mintin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Have you ever played Guitar Hero? Do you know hard it is to get a perfect like that? Eat it.
Eat what? Guitar Hero? No thanks
__________________
MacBook Pro 15"
iPhone 5S
iPad 2
Mintin8 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:12 PM   #16
macfan881
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Send a message via AIM to macfan881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
Have you ever played Guitar Hero? Do you know hard it is to get a perfect like that? Eat it.
i can see the matureness from this poster
macfan881 is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:16 PM   #17
sushi
Moderator emeritus
 
sushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: キャンプスワンピー [Japan]
How hard is it to set the preferences to run Software Update manually?

Seems like that would be the thing to do to prevent this from happening? Same is true for Windows.
__________________
You only live twice, once when you are born, and when you look death in the face. *Basho style poem from 007 YOLT.
sushi is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:31 PM   #18
Ivan P
macrumors 68030
 
Ivan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Home
Send a message via AIM to Ivan P
With Software Update you can close it and the updates will be installed next time you shut the computer down. So much better than in Windows, when there's an update they consider "important" that opens a dialog every ten or so minutes asking if you want to restart now or restart later - pressing restart later merely causes it to pop up again after another ten or so minutes. That's a much bigger pain; Windoze.
__________________
Black 64GB iPhone 5 / Black 3rd-gen iPad, 64GB Wi-Fi
17" 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core i7, 750GB HDD, 6GB RAM
11" 2010 MacBook Air, 1.4GHz, 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM
Ivan P is offline   0
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:44 PM   #19
mickbab
macrumors 65816
 
mickbab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Yeh there was this one time I was having an intense conversation on MSN with a friend. And I mean INTENSE. Like, we'd been talking for over 17 hours straight and he said to me "I need to go the toilet dude" and we were going to try and see if we could keep the conversation while he was on the toilet. IT WAS SO INTENSE!

But I wish I was the one on the toilet, because I absolutely poo'd myself when the mouse freezes, and I'm like WTF?! What comes up? Apple ******* software updater!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! @#$^%#$%#$%@#$@#$@#!!!!!!!! Apparently, notifying me that there's an iTunes update is more important than ANY conversation I might be having! This is the type of crap that would only come from a company whose executives don't use IM.

It's bad enough that you HAVE to download Quicktime with iTunes, AND they try to sneak Safari in there too, but no, they're not done yet. They have to interrupt WHATEVER you are doing. And the fact that it is so easy to turn off is just so ******* ANNOYING!!!.

I don't think my rage meter has ever been so high. If that programmer was in the room right then, there would not be much left of his body. And I would've easily gotten off on temporary insanity.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Apr 22, 2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: language
mickbab is offline   0
Old Apr 22, 2009, 02:09 AM   #20
Double J
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan P View Post
With Software Update you can close it and the updates will be installed next time you shut the computer down. So much better than in Windows, when there's an update they consider "important" that opens a dialog every ten or so minutes asking if you want to restart now or restart later - pressing restart later merely causes it to pop up again after another ten or so minutes. That's a much bigger pain; Windoze.
You use a Mac, so you wouldn't really understand this, since there are no games on Macs, but the very fact that it minimized the game is the problem. It hadn't downloaded an update or installed an update, it just spontaneously decided that there was an update. iTunes wasn't open; I even took it out of my startup, along with a few other Apple processes, which I have to do EVERY single time I do an iTunes update, since it thinks every stupid Apple service needs to be started when I turn my computer on. Windows Automatic Update turns off and stays off.

Wow mickbab, you copied my post and inserted the word toilet. You are surely the next Mark Twain.
Double J is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
omg…omg..omg I found an i7 960x Hex-core for $225! BluMOONmac Mac Pro 4 Jan 22, 2014 10:25 AM
Made with Mischief - drawing software fig Design and Graphics 3 Jan 20, 2014 02:50 PM
omg omg omg, ya im impressed J.L.Photography iPhone 1 Sep 21, 2012 11:38 AM
[kernel panic] Please help!!!! Omg omg omg omfg!!! Z400Racer37 MacBook Pro 14 Aug 29, 2012 04:01 PM
Apple Store is DOWN!! omg. i.love.caffeine Buying Tips and Advice 1 Jun 11, 2012 10:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC