Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Apr 23, 2004, 08:36 PM   #1
kingnoc
macrumors newbie

Diablo 2 on OSX

hi all,

its been rather confusing trying to answer a few of the following questions regarding Diablo 2 on OSX:

1) I have the Classic install disks, but no Classic installation. Is there a way to install the game running just OSX? Are there even CD's made that will install without Classic? If so how do i tell these CD's from the ones for Classic?? argh!!

2) Once the game is installed, all i really want to do is play on my LAN, but i'll be trying to play with someone running the PC version. Is this possible? Ive read some stuff that seems to say that Macs and PCs arent capable of playing together, but this seems just silly... anyone know?

thanks to anyone who can answer.

-kingnoc
kingnoc is offline   0
Old Apr 23, 2004, 09:36 PM   #2
stoid
macrumors 68040

I don't know about the no classic install for Diablo, but I remember there was a solution like that for Starcraft discussed in some thread, somewhere.

I can guarantee that the Mac PC issue is nonexistent, as I play co-op with my PC totin' friend many times.
stoid is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 02:55 AM   #3
ephica
macrumors newbie

unless someone figured out how to extract the files straight from the discs (which i doubt,) then you'll need classic to install. you might not have to install classic however, if someone else has the mac installation of diablo ii, drag-and-drop will work. or if you have two cd-rom drives, you could start your mac up from a mac os 8/9 cd and install that way. or if you don't access to two drives, make disc images of the d2 install discs, startup from os 9 disc, and then install.
hope i helped

p.s. it's uncommon that a game doesn't network between platforms (mac, windows.) and you can trust that any game blizzard makes will have cross-platform networking.

Last edited by ephica; Apr 24, 2004 at 02:57 AM.
ephica is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 03:26 AM   #4
stoid
macrumors 68040

Just so long as you don't have a newer Apple computer that can't start up from OS 9. Grrrr. Grrrr I say to Apple for dropping the ability to start up from OS 9. Yeah, I know it's time for people to move on, but sometimes, it's little **** like this that is rrreeeeaallly irritating!
stoid is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:31 AM   #5
fatzmack
macrumors newbie

i've been revisiting diablo 2 and the lod expansion over the past few months, playing with characters i never thought i'd be playing with... who knew the necromancer could be so much fun eh?

the installation process requires that you do it through classic. after doing so, you need to download the osx patch which allows you to play diablo ii on osx. go here to download the 1.10b patch. original is 26.9mb, the expansion is 12.2mb. instructions are provided there on which one you need to use and such.

as for cross platform compatibility, playing wise - yes you can. i have friends over at the east coast who own their dells, and i've played them online through battle net and the whole lot.

i hope that helps.
fatzmack is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 07:27 AM   #6
kingnoc
macrumors newbie

Well, while its great to know i could play with my friends if i wanted to, i cant actually install the game. because i chose not to install classic and formatted my HD for OSX, when i boot into Classic from my 9.1 CD, i cant access my HD at all. not to mention i dont have 2 cd drives and you cant eject the startup disk.

would anyone be willing to help out with a copy of the already carbonized files for the game?? thanks guys.

-kingnoc
kingnoc is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:00 PM   #7
bux
macrumors regular

hmmm... do I understand this correctly if it means that Diablo 2 is impossible to install with OS X?
bux is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:08 PM   #8
bertinman
macrumors 6502

could someone print out a list of files that the installer installed? a mpq editer/extracter might let us extract the fiels ourselves.
Join MacRumors.com - Team Folding, and be a part of the #1 Mac Folding team!

Last edited by bertinman; Apr 26, 2004 at 10:12 PM.
bertinman is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:00 PM   #9
Golem
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertinman
could someone print out a list of files that the installer installed? a mpq editer/extracter might let us extract the fiels ourselves.
As I understand it if you can run classic you can install and certainly you can copy it from machine to machine once installed so any Middle aged mac up to 6-7 years old that you can copy the files off you should be able to get a working version.

Cool a copy /Paste does work Note I probably have extra files because my install is 3-4 years old and I have copyed files from the disk so it doesnt access the cd to read them, ie you probably only need carbon versions of duplicated files and caches and logs will be created by Diablo.

Battle.net Cache
Battle.net Cache alias
Battle.net Log
BNUpdate
BNUpdate (Carbon)
bnupdate.log
default.key
Diablo II
Diablo II (Carbon)
Diablo II Data (Carbon)
Diablo II Expansion Data
Diablo II Expansion Movies
Diablo II Expansion Music
Diablo II Expansion Speech
Diablo II Game Data
Diablo II Graphics
Diablo II Movies
Diablo II Music
Diablo II Patch
Diablo II Patch (Carbon)
Diablo II Sounds
Diablo II Speech
How to Install.txt
logs
Patch 1.08b Info
Patch 1.09 Info
Patch.txt
Save
Storm
tos-unicode_USA.txt
Golem is offline   0
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:24 PM   #10
PlaceofDis
macrumors Core

if you have your OS X discs you should be able to install classic back onto your system with no problem, or use your software restore cds that came with your Mac
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:20 AM   #11
bertinman
macrumors 6502

but, that is annoying.

I'd like to make a small program that asks you to load the cd then extract the files for you without loading any classic. I don't have classix anywhere and might someday have only a computer that doesn't support classic.

btw, thank you very much for the list, I'll see if I can get something working by this or the next weekend.
bertinman is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:29 AM   #12
bertinman
macrumors 6502

ok, well the only thing I see left to do is to insert a CDkey into the installation...

I don't want to do anything illegal, but if anyones got info on changing cdkeys or editing cdkeys, let me know by PM.
bertinman is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 01:54 AM   #13
nylonpsycho
macrumors newbie

Using PC disks for Diablo II mac os X install

If you bought the PC disks from one of the old, old older releases of Diablo II but now have a mac...

You can download the demo, swap out all of the game's data files (except the sound fx), rename them to what the demo's files were called, and install the carbon update from Blizzard. I did this on a Powerbook 17 (so I don't have any classic but classic mode). You have to keep the play disc in to play, even though it's the pc disk. The only drawback is that this doesn't work for the sound fx resource file. I've played multiplayer online, too, with this install. Better than forking over the cash to buy a game you already bought in the past. This even works if you install LoD on top of it (and the LoD sfx do work! So few noises until act IV). Just thought I'd put my word in.
nylonpsycho is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:17 AM   #14
kbonnel
macrumors 6502

I was wondering if this was possible. I also have the Diablo2 PC version, and didn't want to rebuy it for my Mac. (unless it was super cheap, and I had a real itch to play Diablo2 again)...

Kimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nylonpsycho
If you bought the PC disks from one of the old, old older releases of Diablo II but now have a mac...

You can download the demo, swap out all of the game's data files (except the sound fx), rename them to what the demo's files were called, and install the carbon update from Blizzard. I did this on a Powerbook 17 (so I don't have any classic but classic mode). You have to keep the play disc in to play, even though it's the pc disk. The only drawback is that this doesn't work for the sound fx resource file. I've played multiplayer online, too, with this install. Better than forking over the cash to buy a game you already bought in the past. This even works if you install LoD on top of it (and the LoD sfx do work! So few noises until act IV). Just thought I'd put my word in.
kbonnel is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:07 AM   #15
bertinman
macrumors 6502

the sfx data file is where the cd-key stuff is stored, thats prob why (but not sure why) it doesn't work correctly; the exp stores it's cd key in the char file for the PC. I'm not sure where they are stored on the mac side, but I was planning on inserting them into the patch file because the patch file is tried first.

just me thinking outloud. I'll download the demo and see whatsup there.
bertinman is offline   0
Old May 23, 2004, 01:50 PM   #16
Muskie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Muskie
yay

Good news for all of us! Blizzard has recently released an OS X Native Installer! It can be found at http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0387p (bottom of the page) I remembered seeing this thread a while ago, so when I heard the news, I figured I would let you guys know. Good luck

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo -- 1.5GB RAM -- Radeon X1600 128MB
Muskie is offline   0
Old May 23, 2004, 04:29 PM   #17
ZildjianKX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie
Good news for all of us! Blizzard has recently released an OS X Native Installer! It can be found at http://www.blizzard.com/support/?id=adt0387p (bottom of the page) I remembered seeing this thread a while ago, so when I heard the news, I figured I would let you guys know. Good luck
They're making a Starcraft OS X installer too, yay! Blizzard has to be the most dedicated mac company who makes original games (not porting like Aspyr, etc).
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old May 23, 2004, 08:48 PM   #18
bertinman
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZildjianKX
They're making a Starcraft OS X installer too, yay! Blizzard has to be the most dedicated mac company who makes original games (not porting like Aspyr, etc).
awesome, wasn't makin much progress getting the cdkey encoded.
bertinman is offline   0
Old May 23, 2004, 09:06 PM   #19
neoelectronaut
macrumors 68020

I only wish they'd make a OS X-native version of the original Diablo now so I can modem play with my PC buddy.
neoelectronaut is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 12:46 AM   #20
BaDBoY
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to BaDBoY
even better if they upgraded the resolution on it.. playing 17" strectched sucks!
BaDBoY is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 10:17 AM   #21
wesli_1
macrumors member

Does anyone know if the OSX native installer will work with PC D2 Disks?
wesli_1 is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 10:35 AM   #22
kgarner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesli_1
Does anyone know if the OSX native installer will work with PC D2 Disks?
It will work with the PC Play and Cinematics Disk, but you have to have a Mac Install Disk. That's how I installed it on mine, and I did try the PC disk first to see if that would work.
kgarner is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 11:38 AM   #23
ExoticFish
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to ExoticFish Send a message via Skype™ to ExoticFish
i thought all D2 disks were cross platform? mine are.
ExoticFish is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 11:58 AM   #24
Muskie
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Muskie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoticFish
i thought all D2 disks were cross platform? mine are.
I believe there is a hybrid version, (windows and mac) which is what most of us have, and a pc only version. I don't believe there is a mac only version.

MacBook Pro 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo -- 1.5GB RAM -- Radeon X1600 128MB
Muskie is offline   0
Old May 26, 2004, 12:08 PM   #25
kgarner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskie
I believe there is a hybrid version, (windows and mac) which is what most of us have, and a pc only version. I don't believe there is a mac only version.
They released the PC version first (hence those of us with PC only disks) and later (but not much later) released the hybrid version for the Mac and PC (hence no Mac only version)
kgarner is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games