Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
New Code Sharing forum

As of today there is a new Code Sharing sub-forum of the App Store forum, for users to share family/friend codes and for developers to distribute free promo codes to interested members.

The Code Sharing sub-forum is for:
  1. users to share family/friend codes for cooperative iPhone and iPod touch applications
  2. iPhone and iPod touch application developers to give away promo codes for their applications
All family/friend/promo code threads and posts must be in this sub-forum, not in the main App Store forum or in any other forum. This applies to posts by developers as well as posts by other users.

Posts made in the Code Sharing forum do not count toward your post count total.

Thanks to the work of our moderators, recent code sharing and promo giveaway threads have already been moved to the Code Sharing sub-forum. If you plan to post codes, first review the rules stated in the Code Sharing Forum Rules and FAQ. If you see any further threads for codes in the App Store forum, or individual posts containing codes in the App Store forum, please report them to the moderators, who will move them or remove them.

We know that it will require a transition period for people to get in the habit of posting codes only in a separate sub-forum, but our users have requested this separation to keep the App Store forum less cluttered and more useful. We balance requests for new forums with requests to keep the main forum page from growing ever larger. In this case we've decided in favor of the new forum.

Before posting codes, read the Code Sharing Forum Rules and FAQ and observe the rules stated there. Thank you for your cooperation!

New App Store guidelines for application developers

MacRumors has for some time given special support to developers of iPhone and iPod touch applications, by permitting them to promote their applications in the App Store forum. These privileges were experimental at first, but proved to be a benefit to the forum community. Application developers, many of whom are individuals or very small companies, got a chance to talk about their applications. Our forum members got a chance to interact directly with application developers, discuss features, ask questions, make requests, etc.

We were pleased to find that almost all iPhone and iPod touch application developers have been responsible forum members. Only a few have cluttered the forums by starting too many threads or making too many posts.

We are now making the App Store privileges for iPhone and iPod touch application developers an established part of the forum rules. We are giving these developers official permission to use the App Store forum for announcements and for promotional information about their applications. At the same time, we are requiring that they start a limited number of threads, post promo codes only in the Code Sharing sub-forum, and observe a few other requirements.

The details are spelled out in the new Guidelines for iPhone and iPod touch application developers.

We hope the formalization of the rules for iPhone and iPod touch application developers will work to the benefit of both developers and the users interested in their software. Note that we have not given equivalent permissions to vendors of Mac software or hardware products, in keeping with past policies and to be fair to our paid advertisers.

Forum members who are interested in iPhone and iPod touch applications are invite to visit our sister sites touchArcade and AppShopper, where we provide reviews, discussion, and information about iPhone and iPod touch applications.

As always, we appreciate the suggestions we've received from forum users, the volunteer work of our moderators, and the cooperation of application developers.

GatorDeb

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
No, not in this thread: do it in the forum linked above.

That's what I meant, can I trade a promo code in that forum :D Since this is the discussion thread for the forum, I put the question here. The guidelines says it's for devs to give away promo codes, so I wanted to make sure I could trade one there.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Wow, awesome! I'll be getting into actually dev'ing some apps this summer and this will be MOST useful. Thanks!

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have a code to trade, can I do that here? I'm not the developer.

That's what I meant, can I trade a promo code in that forum :D Since this is the discussion thread for the forum, I put the question here. The guidelines says it's for devs to give away promo codes, so I wanted to make sure I could trade one there.
You can post friend codes but not promo codes. We limit distribution of promo codes to the original source, i.e. the developer, so the forums can't be used for re-distribution of promo codes.

From the Code Sharing Forum Rules and FAQ section on promo codes:
Only iPhone and iPod touch developers may offer promo codes.​

Wiska

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2009
Thanks a lot. Now I can add number 136 on the list of forums to exclude during searches. :D

Perhaps we can create a "whining" subforum? ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iPad application developers welcome!

Our Guidelines for App Store Developers, formerly named "Guidelines for iPhone and iPod touch application developers", now cover iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad application developers whose products are in Apple's App Store.

We welcome iPad application developers to take advantage of the same privileges as iPhone and iPod touch application developers in our App Store forum and its Code Sharing sub-forum: creating threads for their applications, announcing and discussing their apps, and distributing codes, subject to the restrictions described in the Guidelines.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Mac OS X application developers welcome!

We have again expanded the privileges we offer to software developers, for the benefit of our forum users.

We now provide developers of Macintosh software with the opportunity to describe their applications, talk directly to their customers and potential customers, and provide software giveaways in our forums.

Our Guidelines for Software Developers, formerly named "Guidelines for App Store Developers", now cover iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Mac OS X application developers.

We welcome Mac application developers to take advantage of the same privileges we've given to App Store developers in the Apple Applications section of our forums: creating threads for their applications, announcing and discussing their applications, and distributing serial numbers, subject to the restrictions described in the Guidelines.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
I'd like to suggest that the Code Sharing Forum only be accessible to members of this forum with a certain post count, much like the Marketplace. It's very annoying to go into these threads only to find all the codes have been used and not reported that they've been taken. I think a big reason for this are non-forum users who browse this page just to snag codes.

Most people who have been here long enough have the decency to report that they've used up a code, letting other members know which codes are still available. Sometimes there are 50 codes, 3 posts, and every code is already taken. It's annoying and preventable. Membership should have it's privileges. If people want free codes, they should be members long enough to "earn" them.

Will a mod please address this issue? Thanks.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The forum is already invisible to guests (non-registered visitors).

One big downside to further limiting access to that forum (either by post count or length of membership) is that many of the developers who want to offer the codes wouldn't meet the requirements, and thus couldn't see or post in the forum themselves...kind of defeating one of the major purposes of the forum.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Ah. Didn't know it was already invisible. And it makes sense about the developers, too. Guess I'm just frustrated that some members won't take a minute to properly claim a code that has been gifted to them.

Thanks for the response, WildCowboy.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles

BWInnovation

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2011
Hello,
Since I am new here (as an app developer), could you kindly let me know if I have an universal iOS app, can I post one promotional thread each in both iPad Apps & iPhone Apps forum, or I can only have the post in only one of the two forums? Sorry that I don't get clear about this after reading the guideline for developers.
Thanks for your clarification in advance!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hello,
Since I am new here (as an app developer), could you kindly let me know if I have an universal iOS app, can I post one promotional thread each in both iPad Apps & iPhone Apps forum, or I can only have the post in only one of the two forums? Sorry that I don't get clear about this after reading the guideline for developers.

I'm not a moderator or anything like that but I've certainly seen quite a few developers do exactly that.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Hello,

I had this same exact question after reading the guidelines and I came to this thread to ask it, haha. Glad I wasn't the first! Maybe someone could update that section to include this information? :D

(I saw an "edit" link but I wasn't sure if anyone is allowed to just edit such info, so I didn't even mess with it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.