Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Apr 24, 2004, 08:44 AM   #1
Ryan McCanical
macrumors newbie

Little Question Mark folder before OSX boots...

I just bought a 12" powerbook and after using it for 2 days, I get the network icon flashing for about 5 seconds, and then a little OS9 looking folder icon that has a question mark on it for a few more seconds? What does this mean? I would check my manual except that I came home from school for the weekend and left it back at school. Thanks for the help.
Ryan McCanical is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 09:15 AM   #2
jane doe
macrumors 6502

Reset

Shut it off,
Turn on the power, when you hear the chime, hold down command (apple key) option P and R till you hear two more boot chimes

that will take care of that little problem
jane doe is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
I'm not sure of the solution above but what I see the problem is that the Mac is trying to do a network boot. In OS X go to System Preferences: Start Up Disk and then select a local drive to boot off.

Edit: Come to think of it zapping the p-ram will probably reset the start-up disk, so your mac may still look for a valid disk on start up, so be sure to check the Start Up Disk preferences.

Last edited by Wes; Apr 24, 2004 at 11:29 AM.
Wes is offline   0
Old Apr 24, 2004, 02:43 PM   #4
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
A flashing question mark usually means that the computer cannot find a startup folder, this may have changed with Panther on computers which do not have OS 9. Sometimes some computers show this every time, however if your computer gets stuck on a flashing question mark this is bad, either your system is dying or your HD is going.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 02:49 PM   #5
jane doe
macrumors 6502

The PRAM is confused on what the startup volume should be when it goes past POST. It goes thru a series of checking IO and then picks the HD.

It's not a failure of a hard drive or anything like that. It's fine. Simply reseting the PRAM or selecting the startup drive in the system preferences should fix it.

Hope this helps you out.
jane doe is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers