Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I am looking for some direction, but only if you have a current 3G iPhone, I have Verizon with a Motorola Q but all my computers are Mac. I am getting tired of the slowness of the Windows Mobile and looking at the iPhone plus Syncing my phone with a mac is a hastle not to mention the cost of the Missing Sync software.

Is it worth going for it now with a new OS around the corner or should I wait until a new Phone comes out this year.

I don't really care that ATT service sucks, I am more into the phone because of the alltogether features with my MobileMe, iPod, iTouch and Mac organization, but is the 8G really worth the $199 or should I go for the 16G for $299?

I have an iTouch 16GB and I use it everyday, it is by my side wherever I go and if the iPhone is exactly like it then I have not problems, but I am concerned from all the issues I have been reading and what 3.0 might do to the phone.

Also is the optional Applecare worth the $69 because I know ATT does not offer what Verizon does with their phones including insurance.

Thanks in Advance

Wicked1:cool:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I have a hard time waiting, but if you can then wait. I don't think at&t serves sucks. It's all where you live and I think I am pretty lucky that it works where I need it too. People may say it sucks, but it just doesn't work in their area. There is no such thing as a cell phone company working coast to coast 100%.
I went with the 16gig because I rather have room left over then me saying "damn I wish I had more room, what should I remove?" That's just me.

theDUB

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2008
SLT, CA
I would just wait if I were you.

Get the 16, or whatever the new biggest model. Rule of thumb; always buy the one with the biggest capacity you can afford.

I would sell your Touch and use that $ to help pay for the phone this summer.

tayshon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
Philly, PA
I would so get the iphone. I love mine. Me and my hubby got the 16G, I really don't use as a ipod, but for everything else. As for the apple care plan, you don't have to get until after you had the phone for one year. The first year comes free with the purchase of the phone. Like everybody is saying there will be a new iphone out this summer. Depending what you really are looking for in a phone, you should wait, and yes bigger is always better :D.
Now if you just have to have it now, then go for it, there will be a update this summer also, now don't get me wrong the new phone will have some new hardware that you can't get with the update, but that will be up to you.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I am looking for some direction, but only if you have a current 3G iPhone, I have Verizon with a Motorola Q but all my computers are Mac. I am getting tired of the slowness of the Windows Mobile and looking at the iPhone plus Syncing my phone with a mac is a hastle not to mention the cost of the Missing Sync software.

Is it worth going for it now with a new OS around the corner or should I wait until a new Phone comes out this year.

I don't really care that ATT service sucks, I am more into the phone because of the alltogether features with my MobileMe, iPod, iTouch and Mac organization, but is the 8G really worth the $199 or should I go for the 16G for $299?

I have an iTouch 16GB and I use it everyday, it is by my side wherever I go and if the iPhone is exactly like it then I have not problems, but I am concerned from all the issues I have been reading and what 3.0 might do to the phone.

Also is the optional Applecare worth the $69 because I know ATT does not offer what Verizon does with their phones including insurance.

Thanks in Advance

I'd say go for the 16GB, so you're good and won't go "man, i need some more room" later on down the road. I'd probably just get one now, depending on if it would work great for you now or not... You get one year of apple care, so you don't have to decide about the extra year or not right away

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK

It's worth noting that Applecare probably doesn't work the same as Verizon's insurance. In the UK at least phone insurance bought from your provider covers faults, accidental damage, having it stolen, losing it etc
Applecare on the other hand only covers faults, so if you drop it and crack the screen or you leave it in a taxi then you're stuffed.

the-sandman

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2009
Leicester, UK
I'd say go for the 16GB version too. Even with 16GB, i'm still saying 'i wish i had more room!'

Go for the biggest you can get for your money i say.

Dre325

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2008
I'd get the 16GB. I don't often use mine as an iPod, but when I want to, I have plenty of music on there, not to mention every picture I've taken in the last year as well as a couple of full-length movies. That combined with a bunch of apps and I'm happy to be rollin' with a 16. In addition, the 16 will be better for resale value in the future if you want to upgrade to the newest version.

As far as waiting or not, I'd probably wait if I were you, at least until the specs and features are announced. If you don't need the new features, just get a 16gb 3G.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Yes - get the 16GB. Providing you can afford it, it's always wise advice to buy the largest spec. whatever it is. If you don't, you usually end up wishing you had :D

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
Yes - get the 16GB. Providing you can afford it, it's always wise advice to buy the largest spec. whatever it is. If you don't, you usually end up wishing you had :D

If you can afford the monthly bill of an iPhone, then I think you should be able to afford the extra 100 bucks to get a 16GB. But what do I know.

To the OP, if you are that happy with your iPod Touch, and aren't that concerned about your coverage, it seems like a no brainer that you'd like the iPhone. The biggest complaint most people have about the iPhone is AT&T. I don't share their concern, as AT&T provides great service in my area and I don't care to go to another company anyway.

Lexoticstylez02

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Go for the 16GB if you can fill it up, it's def. worth it. AT&T service doesn't suck at all for me, I have service 99% of the time (and most of it is 3G, it's very rare that I ever have EDGE) it just depends where you live. I would say go ahead and wait if you can, but if you're impatient like I am, go ahead and buy it now. You will get the new OS for free when it is released this summer no matter what phone you have, the new phone may bring new capabilities though such as video recording, a better camera, and some other extras.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I have more than enough music for a normal day on my 8GB iPhone - and I have a completely filled 180GB iPod Classic, and nearly 500 GB of media on my computer. If you really feel you like you need the extra storage, you might as well go with the 16GB. I wouldn't bother waiting - as of yet there hasn't been any substantial evidence that a new iPhone is coming out this summer - that might change, but based on what has been seen so far, I'd say you're safe to buy now.

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I bought mine last November 8GB, I really don't think that I need to carry around more than that much data. If the rumoured next gen iPhone has an upgraded camera I will upgrade, other than that, the current 3G is perfect.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
ATT has a deal for $149.00 you can get a Refurbished iPhone 3G in White or Black with 16GB if anyone is looking for one, and I have bought quite a few Apple Refurbished items that I still use and they are all like brand new.

:cool:

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA

Thanks in Advance

I love my iPhone 3g, but if I were in your boat, I'd wait for the new one. Should only be a couple months if the rumors are correct. Should only be a minor upgrade, but why not? A refurb 3G will be cheaper after that anyways if you decide it's not worth it.

goodwill221

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
very bad phone overpriced and lacks many basic features (video recording, ability to send files over bluetooth, removable battery) it seems to follow the same path as all previous apple products; looks good, heavily priced, will usually break after a year- when the warranty is over. you are better off buying a classic ipod and a solid phone like a sony ericsson. so you get the best of both worlds, rather than a lame attempt to blend the 2 together.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
very bad phone overpriced and lacks many basic features (video recording, ability to send files over bluetooth, removable battery) it seems to follow the same path as all previous apple products; looks good, heavily priced, will usually break after a year- when the warranty is over. you are better off buying a classic ipod and a solid phone like a sony ericsson. so you get the best of both worlds, rather than a lame attempt to blend the 2 together.

Is that a troll I see??

Naw, can't be.

Nice costume though.

medgirl2001

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2009
USA
My iPod Touch was my "gateway" to the iPhone also. It is very similar, so if you are happy with it, you will likely like the iPhone as well. It's a good way to test and see if things like the calendar, contacts, etc. will be an adequate replacement for what you used on your Windows Mobile phone. Personally if I were you, I would wait a couple of months to see if something new comes out, since you are so close. If there will be something new, we will likely hear about it in June. As for for size - get the 16GB if you can. It never hurts to have more space!

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008

A troller and a spammer, another lame attempt to blend two things. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.