Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gonk42

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
near Cambridge
I was just reading the Register's report

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/23/apple_q2_2009/

on Apple's (very good) results
and was interested to see that the Mac Pro is the one Apple product
which is not selling well.

To quote from the report :

'The news wasn't as good for the Mac. Worldwide Mac sales dipped 3 per cent, from 2.29 million in last year's second quarter to 2.22 million this year, a retreat that Cook described as being due mostly to slow Mac Pro sales because of the Meltdown-induced contraction of professional market, along with the fact that US education sales tanked as school districts froze purchases. "The consumer is holding up much better than the professional," he said, "and much better than education."'

The question is, did they raise the prices because there are less sales to divide
fixed costs over or are the sales down because of the hike in prices?

(The prices rose not only in absolute terms but also relative to Dell etc.)

Actually, thinking about it, the new Mac Pro only appeared at the beginning of March so much of the drop may have been due to people hanging
on for the new model. It will be interesting to see what happens next quarter.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I think they've struggled to sell them because before the latest release people weren't buying why they held out for the new release. Then the new release arrived along with the price hike.

OH HAI! RECESSION!

As the article probably rightly assumes, business and schools will be holding off (expensive) upgrades, as will many consumers.

So they had months of people holding back, then when they finally arrived the price jumped just as everyone was more strapped for cash then ever before in recent memory. All in all the facts don't sit together too well.

Boneoh

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2009
So. Cal.
I'm not surprised.

I live in So. Cal., and used to have clients in the architecture industry. The two largest firms in this area each employed between 150 and 200 people. A large fraction of these people were in the graphics area, using the CS4 suite, etc. These firms are now employing between 15 and 20 people each.

The building boom has gone bust. Three or fours years ago, these businesses were happily upgrading their computers all the time, about 25% per year, and rotating the older computers to less demanding duties. The oldest ones would get sold to employees for cheap, or donated to charity.

Most of the smaller firms are struggling with little or no business at all. This has also had a big ripple affect in subcontractors for design, drafting, and graphics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.