Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
I'm considering buying a MacBook; I know the apple store has free shipping, but do they charge tax on your purchase?

I got up to the "Select Payment Method" and there has been no mention of tax :confused:

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm considering buying a MacBook; I know the apple store has free shipping, but do they charge tax on your purchase?

I got up to the "Select Payment Method" and there has been no mention of tax :confused:

Tax will be charged. Shows up on your confirmation email in this format:
Subtotal $119.00
G.S.T./H.S.T. $7.14
P.S.T./Q.S.T. $9.52

Total Price CAD
$135.66

Illicit

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Waterloo, ON
As a ex-Canuck I had to snicker at the the thread title..."Tax in Canada?"...what isn't taxed in Canada? :D

Cheers.

-J.-
Amounts that are not taxed:
" * any GST/HST credit or Canada Child Tax Benefit payments, as well as those from related provincial and territorial programs;
* child assistance payments and the supplement for handicapped children paid by the province of Quebec;
* compensation received from a province or territory if you were a victim of a criminal act or a motor vehicle accident;
* lottery winnings;
* most gifts and inheritances;
* amounts paid by Canada or an ally (if the amount is not taxable in that country) for disability or death due to war service;
* most amounts received from a life insurance policy following someone's death..."

For more information see: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/rprtng-ncm/nttxd-eng.html

zw-gator

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2005
Canada
That's something that should definitely be taxed—heavily.

I agree with that!

Anyway, I kinda figured that tax would be charged, I was just wishing that it wouldn't so I could upgrade.... 13% tax is a killer :mad: :D

zunairryk

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Cross the border, pay 4% tax at a US apple store, come back, get it passed through customs as a gift :D

u could hv done that when candian dollar was same as U.S like a year ago i think, but its not worth it now, bc u will end up paying more canadian dollars if u buy frm U.S as compare to buying from Canada.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Cross the border, pay 4% tax at a US apple store, come back, get it passed through customs as a gift :D

Duff-Man says.....gifts are *not* exempt from taxes at the border coming into Canada. You may get away with small items but for a $3000 computer (that's about $4000cdn these days) they'll charge the gst and pst...don't declare it and it'll be confiscated....oh yeah!

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
Duff-Man says.....gifts are *not* exempt from taxes at the border coming into Canada. You may get away with small items but for a $3000 computer (that's about $4000cdn these days) they'll charge the gst and pst...don't declare it and it'll be confiscated....oh yeah!

confiscated, OH YEAH !!:D now that would suck

First purchase via iTunes

I just made my first purchase via iTunes Store. I have received a couple of gift cards.

I noticed I was charged tax. The tax amount equals to about 12%. The app is $2.99 tax is $0.36 and $3.35 for the final total.

I did not receive an email from Apple regarding the purchase. I am in BC so either GST should be charged or both PST and GST.

Furthermore, by Federal Law, the merchant or business MUST quote their GST registration number on the bill of sale or invoice otherwise there is no way the consumer knows that the merchant is in fact forwarding the GST to the Feds. I imagine Apple is doing this, but there is no proof.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
That's something that should definitely be taxed—heavily.

Why the lottery is already a tax. You don't win then there goes your money with nothing to show straight into the governments bank account. Sounds like a tax to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.