Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe VT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Central VT
I've had It!!!

This is my first post and I am ashamed to say that my impetus was anger and frustration over the amount of crashes I've endured, trying top use Adobe Photoshop CS4.

I've never had a Mac application run so horribly.

I suffer at least one crash a day, sometimes three or four, and Photoshop isn't even my primary work application.

This is the message I sent to some poor support person in India, or Malaysia (or wherever those crash reports go after they drift off into the ether upon hitting the send button):

Problem Description?

Here's the problem:

Your incredibly expensive, cutting edge, top of the line program sucks a *&$%, and crashes every time you look at it the wrong way.

I'll be happy when Google develops their software well enough to put company's like Adobe and Microsoft out of business.

Adobe has a monopoly on design software right now, which leaves people like me with no choice but to use it, but your two companies have become complacent, monolithic and lethargic, and all empires come to an end. Hopefully, in the case of Adobe and Microsoft, those empires will come to an end sooner, rather than later.

I know this probably won't be read, and if so, it will be read by someone on the lowest wrung of the ladder, but I don't care. I'm so frustrated with your software that I can't take it any longer. I've never used a Mac program that had so many bugs and problems. You guys need to get your act together, especially on such a major release. letting something like this see the light of day is shameless and clearly motivated by the worst kind of lazy, selfish profit making incentives.

I also have a complaint about Adobe Version Cue:

From what I can find online, the program doesn't work, and the fixes that Adobe released don't work either.

The program isn't even that great of a version control tool as is, and to have it made totally useless, by sloppy programming and a premature release is incredibly frustrating for us users, and careless on their part. If I didn't take the time to read about the new release, I could have wasted hours and had all of my work go up in smoke.

I wish someone would come up with a solid version control program, like subversions, but with a solid GUI and detailed support for complex files, like those that Adobe's products create. I'd love to be able to cross-reference past versions of a file in one streamlined interface, but from what I hear, even when it's working, Vesrion Cue doesn't do anything like this. At this point version control software for Graphic design and layout programs seems one step away from useless. From what I can tell, it just creates file after file, and it's up to you to open them and look at each version for differences and updates. I can save multiple versions and look at each file on my own, without a specialized, resource eating program, holding my hand, especially if it has a history of destroying your work.

However, I'm not even close to being an expert, and welcome anyone who knows more, to point out how wrong I am, especially if it allows me to have a better, more efficient work flow, devoid of crashes and huge stores of saved files.

My apologies for my poor writing in the above thread.

I was frustrated and didn't really look it over well.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
have you tried checking if there are some updates available to fix this? there's 11.0.1 available, along with many other updates for cs4 apps and components.

PixelFactory

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Chicago
There is better software for versioning and workflow.

Gridiron Flow Looks to be pretty cool. As far as them not using a lot of HD space, There is no way around that. If you want to save old versions of files, you need to store them somehow and we all know PS files can get quite large.

Joe VT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Central VT
Updates and versions responses

Wow,

That was quick.

Concerning the updates.

I have 11.01, and I update pretty consistently. I also looked for auxilliary patches to try to fix my problem.

nothing...

I heard on a sourcebits article, that it's their lousy open GL support that's causing the problems:

http://blog.sourcebits.com/how-to-make-photoshop-cs4-actually-usable

Seems like a cruddy move to release those features without making sure they are more solid. Other people reported crashes that seemed to coincide with certain actions, like saving. With me, there's no rhyme or reason.

Concerning the version control, I'll check out your suggestion. Thank you.

Joe VT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Central VT
Crashed more since post

Still Crashing.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems or am I alone in this?

I know a lot of people were experiencing crashes of some sort, but I'm not sure that my experiences are similar, given that most online reports I read were associated with specific actions (saving, having too many files open...).

The only programs that have been crashing are Photoshop and sometimes Microsoft Office (2008).

I have a pretty new system with up to date OS ( OSX 10.5.6, Mac Pro tower with 8 processors).

Really, what gives? I like using the Open GL features and I'm hoping Adobe learns to utilize the processing power in graphics cards, but if this keeps up, I'll probably end up disabling those features.

Oh Well

lukesmadre

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2009
Intermittent Crashing

I'm running CS4 on a dual G5 with an Nvidia card that is supposed to be supported. Thought some pimping might work, so I purchased additional RAM (6 GB) and use a 1TB external as a [dedicated] scratch disk. I wish I could tell you I had the technical stamina to solve the problem, but I settled for disabling the Open GL feature. That worked for awhile, until...

I tried doing type in Photoshop. Instead of just the usual pause to digest fonts, it gives an error message and hangs. My workaround is pasting from AI as smart objects - it's almost easier than if Photoshop didn't crash.

I use Illustrator and InDesign all the time and they run fabulously. I'm hoping there's a patch some day...

lsd

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Specific issues that crash my PSD CS4 on Mac

Only certain functions cause crashes for me, so maybe some people aren't experiencing issues because they aren't using these functions?

I find that vector SMART OBJECTS generally cause crashes when I resize them (usually), edit them (sometimes), crop the file (usually), etc. I also just tried using a 3D function, and that crashed Photoshop. Those are the only issues that cause my PSD to crash. Anyone else have success with these functions in PSD CS4 for Mac?

lsd

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2009
Try trashing your photoshop preferences file and restart the program and see if this helps.

Trashed prefs. Trying a free transform of a smart object from illustrator caused an immediate crash. Can someone please confirm that they can successfully free transform an illustrator-based smart object a few times with PSD CS4? This operations crashes PSD 99% of the time, even after deleting my prefs. Have an early 2008 Mac Pro w/ 10gigs memory, and no problems with PSD CS3 or AI CS4.

Joe VT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Central VT
Lots of new comments

I haven't checked this thread in a while and was pleasantly surprised to see so many new comments.

Since my last comment, I've experienced just as many crashes as before. I tried disabling the open Gl support at one time, but I think it was turned back on when I reset the program's preferences, which didn't help either.

I get the fact that this isn't happening to everyone, but it's happening so consistently to some of us (and not at all with other programs), that I can't think of who else to blame, but Adobe.

The corrupted fonts idea, however, is something that I haven't considered. Does anyone know how to check which fonts are corrupt? Should I just try to take not of which font I'm using at the time of the crash?

Concerning smart objects from Illustrator, I don't use smart objects all that much, although I probably should (I sometimes do within photoshop, if I think I'll be doing a lot of editing to the original). I usually just open a file and paste it onto the page as a new layer (which is probably bass-akwards, but I'm self-taught and it works for my purposes for now, although I'm sure someone will berate me for doing so at some point in the future.).

efxgraphx

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Joe,

As far as the fonts causing the error (obviously we are all guessing) but I would not load any fonts at start up (except for system fonts) and see if you can crash PS4.

Do you get any error codes which you can post here?

Have you tried resetting your PRAM after trashing the pref? Maybe even holding it down until you hear three dings? That completely clears everything.

Another suggestion would be to call adobe support or possibly making an appointment at your local mac store and talk to someone there. Its a pain in the &^% to bring it in to the store, but obviously its hard to tell at this point. If you can, post your errors here. That might help.

I haven't checked this thread in a while and was pleasantly surprised to see so many new comments.

Since my last comment, I've experienced just as many crashes as before. I tried disabling the open Gl support at one time, but I think it was turned back on when I reset the program's preferences, which didn't help either.

I get the fact that this isn't happening to everyone, but it's happening so consistently to some of us (and not at all with other programs), that I can't think of who else to blame, but Adobe.

The corrupted fonts idea, however, is something that I haven't considered. Does anyone know how to check which fonts are corrupt? Should I just try to take not of which font I'm using at the time of the crash?

Concerning smart objects from Illustrator, I don't use smart objects all that much, although I probably should (I sometimes do within photoshop, if I think I'll be doing a lot of editing to the original). I usually just open a file and paste it onto the page as a new layer (which is probably bass-akwards, but I'm self-taught and it works for my purposes for now, although I'm sure someone will berate me for doing so at some point in the future.).

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
If you get crashes with Office as well, it must be something else.

Have you done a full hardware test and disk repair from booting up your OS X DVD?

Joe VT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 24, 2009
Central VT
response

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the effort.

I will try to remember to copy down the error report info next time my machine crashes.

I actually haven't had any problems with Office recently.

The one time they both crashed must have been a fluke.

I have experienced some crashes in Flash (second most crashes, of any program loaded on my computer, but I don'
t use that program nearly as much as Photoshop, or Illustrator, which seems pretty rock solid).

Can you describe how to reset my PRAM?

And excuse my ignorance, but how would I not load any of my fonts except system fonts? I placed all of my added fonts in my font book. I don't really have all that many, other than the ones provided by the programs I've installed on my computer (CS4, Iwork and Office, not sure if any of the AV programs I use installed any fonts, perhaps Livetype did?).

Thanks again for all the helpful posts. If it comes down to it, I will call Adobe Support, but I'm afraid that they'll tell me to wipe my hard-drive and start over, or something ridiculously time consuming like that.

regards,

-Joe
In VT

Bedlam-Bill

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
So I'm not the only one then.I've got a list as long as my arm and heading for two arms on the number of times and apparent reasons CS4 crashes.I bought it a few weeks ago but I've only just had the chance to give it a good work out.
I've made a big leap from a G4 and Shop 7 to a Mac Pro and CS4 and I had high expectations.Many have been fulfilled and it has many features which are more than useful but on the other hand it has far too many silly bells and whistles that are just plain annoying and yes, over the past three days of giving it a work through the damned program has frozen and crashed at the drop of a hat.
A few examples
Froze then crashed half way through making a simple selection.

All the thumbnails in the layers palette turned blank during a file save followed by another crash.

Crashed using clone brush or any regular brush for that matter

CS 4 crashed waking mac from sleep

Efficiency suddenly dropped to 5% on a 250mb file- CS4 crashed

Bridge froze trying to open a file and I had to force quit.

Etc etc etc

I've tried throwing out the preferences folder a couple of times and it seems to calm down for a while ,i did that a couple of hours ago and I've only just had my first crash Woo hoo!

I have one line of thought, it's just a hunch,but I replaced my wacom tablet when I bought this new mac.I had the most ancient of old workhorses of wacoms ,a good 12 years old ,but it was time for it to retire so i replaced it with an intuos 4.On the whole this is great piece of kit but I have this feeling,I might be wrong of course, but my suspicion is that there is some sort of conflict going on, as if there is a fight going on between the tablet and the keyboard for one and for another with the sensitivity of the tablet.Very light brush strokes have crashed,or seem to have crashed CS4 quite a few times. Anyway, I don't have any solutions as yet,just adding my observations.
Yo wouldn't be using a wacom would you Joe? Anyone else have suspicions in this direction?

kathmat

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Miami
Photoshop Crashes

Lordy,lordy and I thought as well that it was only me. I know this has to be a Photoshop problem and not associated with the Mac in any way, but it is driving me nuts and as soon as someone finds the solution I think we will all be eternally grateful.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
I havent had many problems with PS CS4 crashing, but AE and Flash have been crashing quite a bit. I tried to open a .ICN file in Flash and it crashed. I inadvertently selected it, BUT it shouldnt crash the whole system.

I will show this thread to my buddy who works for Adobe and i will let you know what he thinks.

kathmat

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Miami
Photoshop Crasheson iMac

Thank you. I have also posted the query on a NAPP forum and hope to find a solution or at least a reason from either source.
Ta again.

kathmat

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
Miami
Adobe Photoshop CS4 Crashes

Well apparently it is a combo issue, this was what I got off an Adobe forum -

"The nVidia 9400m is not on the Adobe tested list. Check to see if the Open GL features are enabled in Photoshop. Preferences > Performance. If the GPU settings to Enable OpenGL Drawing is checked, uncheck it and relaunch Photoshop. See if that improves performance for you.

Photoshop CS4 asks much more from video cards than any previous version did."

I have done this, and so far I have not had a problem, but I have not been working on any projects with too many open windows, so I shall have to wait and see. Must confess I am surprised though, as I thought that Mac and Adobe worked relatively close together, at least so much as in making sure that their software and hardware were in synch. Hmmmm...

pleitch

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2007
I've basically been unable to use Photoshop CS4 since installing the CS4 suite. I had CS3 running perfectly but then my new employer treated me to the full suite. Since installing that I've yet been able to use PS for more than maybe a minute.

It seems that whatever I do causes it to not only crash but lock up my entire system. The only way out is to shut down the machine.

I see in this thread there are a few things I could try but I'm not crossing my fingers.

I'm running the most current system on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac (24" white) with 3 GB of RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The other CS4 apps from time to time exhibit flaky behavior but PS wins the prize for most unusable.

mike1450

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2008
well, in my experience, photoshop and illustrator RUN well, but if i open illustrator, then close it, even if i do nothing in it, it crashes. EVER time. I love CS4 for functionality, but it's just funny how it hates to be closed.

I'll try the preferences fix, i just hate turning stuff off....

Bedlam-Bill

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2009
I wonder if the open GL problem applies to my NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
I'll give it a try.

Ha! you should try phoning uk support,but only if you enjoy listening to cheesy musak.Fifteen minutes so far and counting.I've had a case open for a week now and no reply to my email either. Very frustrating to say the least.
I've tried calling them several times in the past few weeks and I'm yet to get beyond the musak.

It seems to be like this with so much tech support these days.Once you've bought it you're out in the cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.