Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:27 PM   #1
whimaway
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
Question Best cover for 13 inch macbook?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed right.

Anyways, I recently got a MacBook for my birthday. I know how to use the computer, but I'm just wondering what the best cases are. Preferably I would like to use a hard case and a hard case only. I have been eying this one in particular:
Speck MacBook See Thru Hard Case

I just wanted to know what the best protection is. Is a soft better than a hard case? I don't want my mac to get scratched up by the hard case or anything. Are there any better hard cases than the Speck one? So if anyone has an option and such please share it. TIA!

P.S. I'll probably be traveling on airplanes and cars with this computer and taking it around a college campus as well.
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 04:41 PM   #2
hndn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
For white MB, try this:
http://www.goincase.com/products/det...l-case-cl57116
__________________
13" NVidia White, 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, SL
Mac mini 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, SL
hndn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:13 PM   #3
cymrulp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Uk
ive been using the speck for a while, awesome
__________________
Me
cymrulp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 05:17 PM   #4
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
thanks cymrulp

i really want a green one, hndn, and that's like 10 dollars more. are incase any better than the speck? i had one of their soft covers once.
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:40 PM   #5
hndn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimaway View Post
thanks cymrulp

i really want a green one, hndn, and that's like 10 dollars more. are incase any better than the speck? i had one of their soft covers once.
I have the soft cover too. About Speck, my classmate has the clear one & I could see scratches, looks sooo ugly I'm not sure about the other colors though. You should visit Apple store, look at the incase & compare. I like its design.
By the way, last weekend I visited a friend, near a TJMax (Huntington Beach CA & saw it there for 14.99 but no size.
Have fun with your choice.
__________________
13" NVidia White, 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, SL
Mac mini 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, SL
hndn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 06:44 PM   #6
sn00pie
macrumors 6502a
 
sn00pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
I really want to upgrade to a black Speck hardshell case for my whitebook. I currently just toss it in a notebook sleeve whenever I'm on the go.

My whitebook will become a blackbook
sn00pie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Illicit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00pie View Post
I really want to upgrade to a black Speck hardshell case for my whitebook. I currently just toss it in a notebook sleeve whenever I'm on the go.

My whitebook will become a blackbook
Good choice in going with Speck. Also comes in handy if you like to take out the battery while on A/C power and are worried about things getting into the open compartment.
My Speck case has saved my baby from dents and bruises while in my briefcase many times.
Illicit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:28 PM   #8
J.711
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dubizzle
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimaway View Post
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but this seemed right.

Anyways, I recently got a MacBook for my birthday. I know how to use the computer, but I'm just wondering what the best cases are. Preferably I would like to use a hard case and a hard case only. I have been eying this one in particular:
Speck MacBook See Thru Hard Case

I just wanted to know what the best protection is. Is a soft better than a hard case? I don't want my mac to get scratched up by the hard case or anything. Are there any better hard cases than the Speck one? So if anyone has an option and such please share it. TIA!

P.S. I'll probably be traveling on airplanes and cars with this computer and taking it around a college campus as well.
Don't get the See Thru. Being a plastic glossy finish, it'll get scratched super easy! Go for the Speck See thru satin. Once again, Speck rules.. but this material feels really good, and it's extremely durable and very good against scratches. Mind you it'll add a bit of wait to your macbook, but since you travel a lot you're gonna love it. You tube it to see how sexy it looks
J.711 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:21 PM   #9
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.711 View Post
Don't get the See Thru. Being a plastic glossy finish, it'll get scratched super easy! Go for the Speck See thru satin. Once again, Speck rules.. but this material feels really good, and it's extremely durable and very good against scratches. Mind you it'll add a bit of wait to your macbook, but since you travel a lot you're gonna love it. You tube it to see how sexy it looks
Ooh thanks for the tip! I don't think I'll mind the weight, since I used to have a bigger heavier notebook anyways. I can't seem to find this in green, but it is sexy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptEmBzHl6oo

Ahhh now I really want to buy this, lol. I just amazoned it and it says it's all for 13 inch alum unibody. Will that still fit on a white 13 inch?
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:41 PM   #10
jtibbitt
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
For best protection, get a hard shell outer casing (e.g. Speck or Incase) and a thin film cover (e.g. Bodyguardz). Bodyguardz is nice it comes with pieces to cover every part of the computer. Apply the film all over the computer, then put on the outer casing.

A while back I used a hard shell casing (Speck) with my white Macbook. It ended up scratching the computer. I'm not sure if they will do that for the Aluminum Macbooks, but this method is a fail-safe. I cover my new Aluminum Macbook with Bodyguardz and Incase.
jtibbitt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:45 PM   #11
rd261
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I have the speck hard case for my black macbook. It will protect it quite well, but the negative side is that it will make it heavier and not as sexy. Also after a few weeks it will be full of tiny scratches which means that it is doing its job but is not pretty. If I had to chose again I would probably go with the incase one, mainly because it looks cooler and the texture is better IMO.
__________________
Macbook Air 2011 13", New Ipad 16 gb, iPod nano 7th gen, Black Macbook 2008, ipod Touch 1st gen, iMac 24"
rd261 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:49 PM   #12
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Around
I have the Speck for my Aluminum Macbook and my wife has the Incase brand and I think the Incase one is much better. You can find them for the same price on Ebay and Amazon if you look.
With either one I don't think it makes it that much bigger or adds any noticeable weight.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 09:57 PM   #13
michael.lauden
macrumors 68020
 
michael.lauden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primejimbo View Post
I have the Speck for my Aluminum Macbook and my wife has the Incase brand and I think the Incase one is much better. You can find them for the same price on Ebay and Amazon if you look.
With either one I don't think it makes it that much bigger or adds any noticeable weight.
speck makes a beautiful hard shell case. i REALLY need to get one
michael.lauden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 12:36 AM   #14
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
OK, so I still want a green speck case, but my mom is paying for this, and she says that she is only going to buy a neoprene sleeve because that will protect the laptop if it should ever happen to fall. Does the hard case offer any protection from a fall? Perhaps if I can prove that it does she'll change her mind.

Then again, the more I think about it, the sleeve seems like the best way to go. I can get a pocket and a cool design, without risking scratches (I am not good about cleaning/dusting things) and can protect the hardrive.

A cute one I found:
http://www.amazon.com/GYMSPacific-Ma...ef=pd_sim_e_24

It'd be nice to have a pocket though like:
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-13...ref=pd_sbs_e_6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Bla...ref=pd_sim_e_4

But would my charger and say a UIB or CD really scratch up my macbook if I threw it in the case in a ziploc baggie? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when buying a sleeve?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions.
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 02:05 AM   #15
hndn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimaway View Post
OK, so I still want a green speck case, but my mom is paying for this, and she says that she is only going to buy a neoprene sleeve because that will protect the laptop if it should ever happen to fall. Does the hard case offer any protection from a fall? Perhaps if I can prove that it does she'll change her mind.

Then again, the more I think about it, the sleeve seems like the best way to go. I can get a pocket and a cool design, without risking scratches (I am not good about cleaning/dusting things) and can protect the hardrive.

A cute one I found:
http://www.amazon.com/GYMSPacific-Ma...ef=pd_sim_e_24

It'd be nice to have a pocket though like:
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Edge-13...ref=pd_sbs_e_6
or
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-Bla...ref=pd_sim_e_4

But would my charger and say a UIB or CD really scratch up my macbook if I threw it in the case in a ziploc baggie? Is there anything in particular I need to look out for when buying a sleeve?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions.
Incase sleeve.
__________________
13" NVidia White, 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, SL
Mac mini 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, SL
hndn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:40 PM   #16
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
Hmmm I'm looking for something more trendy. I am leaning towards buying the first one, but I thought the second one was cute too!
http://colcasac.com/peony_lace.html
http://barrysfarm.net/product/tree-a...-laptop-sleeve

The colcasac is reasonably priced, very cute, and has a pocket and a sherpa lining. Also, no zippers that might scratch my mac. I got the boring white mac, so I might as well get a unique case.
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:19 AM   #17
Sikaffy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Honduras
Incase sleeve. +1
Sikaffy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:20 AM   #18
hndn
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimaway View Post
Hmmm I'm looking for something more trendy. I am leaning towards buying the first one, but I thought the second one was cute too!
http://colcasac.com/peony_lace.html
http://barrysfarm.net/product/tree-a...-laptop-sleeve

The colcasac is reasonably priced, very cute, and has a pocket and a sherpa lining. Also, no zippers that might scratch my mac. I got the boring white mac, so I might as well get a unique case.
How about protection quality?
__________________
13" NVidia White, 2.0GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB HDD, SL
Mac mini 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HDD, SL
hndn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:07 AM   #19
hellfire88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
If you are looking for *some* protection from drops etc., you may want to consider the Shinza Zeroshock III sleeves:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=75

I don't own a Zeroshock III but I had one of the original ones for an older laptop and it seems quite protective. Those incase sleeves probably won't protect much for a drop, but these Zeroshocks will protect a bit better.

Of course, I'd recommend to try not to drop your Macbook at all if you can, but in case something happens I think the Zeroshock III will protect better than an incase sleeve. They are quite pricey though w/shipping from that site. If you don't mind eBay theres a few on there that go for like $35 shipped or so. Available in black/white/orange.
hellfire88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2009, 07:42 PM   #20
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by hndn View Post
How about protection quality?
Yeah, it looks like there's enough padding. I read a review where someone's laptop fell off their moving car in one of these cases, and the computer still worked afterwards!
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2009, 01:26 PM   #21
rpang
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: So Cal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfire88 View Post
If you are looking for *some* protection from drops etc., you may want to consider the Shinza Zeroshock III sleeves:

http://shinza.com/product_info.php?c...products_id=75

I don't own a Zeroshock III but I had one of the original ones for an older laptop and it seems quite protective. Those incase sleeves probably won't protect much for a drop, but these Zeroshocks will protect a bit better.

Of course, I'd recommend to try not to drop your Macbook at all if you can, but in case something happens I think the Zeroshock III will protect better than an incase sleeve. They are quite pricey though w/shipping from that site. If you don't mind eBay theres a few on there that go for like $35 shipped or so. Available in black/white/orange.
Highly recommend Zeroshock. I've used them for all my previous notebooks.

In any event, dropping your notebook is bad. Hard case, soft case, etc., depending on how high it was dropped, your notebook will still get rattled.
__________________
MacPro 8-core 2.4 Ghz | 15" MacBook Pro | 32GB iPhone 5 | 16GB iPad mini
rpang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 05:02 PM   #22
nayr
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Ill agree to everyone suggesting the Speck. I picked up one myself not long ago. Couldn't be happier, there is no doubt that it will get scratched a bit, but that's its job. To protect the notebook.
__________________
2.4Ghz i5,High-Res,8Gb, 240Gb OCZ Vertex 2, 256Mb 330m Macbook Pro
16Gb iPhone 4 ~ 160Gb iPod Classic ~ 32Gb iPad Wifi
Flickr
nayr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2009, 06:17 PM   #23
gan6660
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Does anyone have this case? http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV...mco=NDI4Njg0Ng
gan6660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 10:45 PM   #24
whimaway
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Kentuck
OK so in the end I went with the colcasac aka apple sac. I really love it! It's so cute and I double I will have any scratches OR damage to the internal mechanisms. Since, I plan to lug it around in a backpack at a college campus, it's perfect. (Plus, my mom paid for it.) Thanks for all the help y'all!

Oh and if anyone wants any more info about the colcasac, I don't mind answering questions.
__________________
13" White MacBook; 30 GB iPod Video
My YouTube Channel
whimaway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 03:15 PM   #25
kjremmy
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2009
My girlfriend wanted the colcasac sleeve for her birthday and while reading reviews I came across a review for Etsy seller bellamela's sleeves. I bought her the kleo sleeve and a matching accessory pouch to carry her charger and mouse in. She really liked it and so did all her friends. I just emailed her and requested a black sleeve for my new unibody macbook. I have to say the quality and price can't be beat!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=24776474
kjremmy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updated 11-Inch and 13-Inch MacBook Airs Reportedly Coming Next Week MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 170 Apr 28, 2014 04:53 PM
11 inch MacBook Air vs 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro. Macdude2010 Buying Tips and Advice 3 Feb 18, 2014 06:44 PM
Need help on deciding 13 inch Macbook Air(Haswell) or 13 inch Retina Macbook Pro HeWasOnly3 MacBook Air 12 Feb 5, 2014 09:53 PM
Haswell: 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro or 13 inch MacBook Air?? boombox15 MacBook Pro 28 Nov 28, 2013 01:44 AM
13 inch Macbook Air or 13 Inch Retina Macbook Pro iAppleFanatic2 MacBook Pro 3 Nov 3, 2012 06:38 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC