Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Hmm, I searched the forums and thought that 'all' I had to do to run my iPod on this new iMac was to deauthorise the old pc and authorise this mac.

I have done that, but I am still getting the message from iTunes to sync and erase the ipod! It took me days to put all my music on it, and can't face that again!

What am I doing wrong/missing?

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
I have moved the files over on an external drive.

But the files, or the majority of them, are in wma format, and I don't think the iPod/iTunes can read them.

I'm now using a prog called 'Switch' to convert them, but there's over 5000 of them to d, and it's slow.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
There is no way around it. You are going to have to convert the files from wma to an iTunes compatible file. Then your iPod will be erased and re-loaded with the new files for two reasons.

1. Is you are going to have to re-load the "new" files.

2. Your iPod will have to be reformatted for the Mac. I just went through this when I converted. I have over 10,200 songs in iTunes. :eek:

It may be a pain now but it will be worth it in the end.

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
Something that is slowing me up is a warning message that Switch throws up now and again:

Switch File Converter wants to overwrite... etc etc.

In windows, if such a message came up, you could select something like, 'overwrite all', or whatever. In Switch it only gives the option to say either 'No', or 'Yes' and it also says that I can change the options in Switch.

The trouble is that if I stop Switch to make an alteration to the options, will this put me back to square one?

Hopefully not, because I suppose that the files have been converted, and that's that.

Am I right?

Sir Loin Steak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
England
I am typing this from the afterlife, as I had to kill myself seven times on account of making a mess of things.

I decided to cancel the operation, in the faith that all the changes made until then had taken place.

In that, I was correct - but that was after I had deleted certain files, in desperation, from both the iPod and iTunes.

So I have reformatted the iPod and have started putting my 160 cds onto the iMac.

Like I said...

Still, nothing will dampen my enthusiasm for the mac, and I wear my Windows-user badge of nigh on 20 years with some pride, all the same, but this is no going back territory!

Loads to learn, yes, but it's a great trip. :apple:

watkins11

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Anybody Know?

I'm looking for perhaps an older version of iPodAccess(before the current 4.2.4) or an alternate application perhaps, that allows you to transfer more than 5 songs at a time. Does anyone know of any or how to maybe sidestep this problem. I have too many songs to import off my iPod and doing so 5 x 5 x 5 etc... is going to be exhausting! Please help me if you know!

Thanks,
Taylor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.