Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i just installed corsair SSD in my UMBP17, everything seems fast, opening apps and such. the xbench test showed good performance, just like corsair said, about 90 mb/s.

but the boot time is very slow, my old 320GB 5400 stock drive was even faster, when i checked the "startup disk" in system preferences, it shows only "network startup", there is no other disk. i believe this is the culprit, Mac OSX is searching the "network startup" first and when it can't find it, it starts searching for the SSD.

what should i do?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
well, i tried repairing permission and resetting PRAM. The boot time is fast now, but still there is no SSD in the startup disk. well, that's all right.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
well, i tried repairing permission and resetting PRAM. The boot time is fast now, but still there is no SSD in the startup disk. well, that's all right.

I hate to ask the obvious, but did you format the SSD in Disk Utility as Mac OS X Extended and Journaled?

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
journaled. it's correct right?

Yes. Can you describe exactly how you installed the SSD? That would help us figure out if you did something funny... I bet we can find out what's wrong.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
put the SSD in the SATA hard drive enclosure and formatted it to Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) using Disk utility and then i used carbon copy cleaner to clone the current drive to the SSD. after that i put the SSD inside the machine and it boots slow, the apple logo took long time to show up. but when the Mac OS X loaded, everything seems fine, apps open fast, blazing fast. xbench's result is incredible. stated at 90 mb something per second. just like corsair stated.

i tried to restart the computer, it's still taking long times to show the apple logo. logged into Mac OS X, i repaired permissions and then resetting PRAM by holding cmd, opt, P, R at the same time and wait until the chime bongs for the second time. after that it's been fine until now.

Thiol

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
but the boot time is very slow, my old 320GB 5400 stock drive was even faster, when i checked the "startup disk" in system preferences, it shows only "network startup", there is no other disk. i believe this is the culprit, Mac OSX is searching the "network startup" first and when it can't find it, it starts searching for the SSD.

what should i do?

I'm still confused by this first post. Are you sure that the computer is using the SSD as your startup disk (instead of some network drive)?

When you cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, did you check off the "make clone bootable" option? If I remember correctly, it might not be the default...

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
I have the same problem with a Patriot SSD. The machine stays on a white screen when it's first turned on for quite some time, then the apple logo pops up, then it boots into OS X.

Like the OP, my stock 160GB HDD booted faster.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
So that was the reason for the slow boot? meh ..... lame , who's tha newb :confused:

I'm a Mac newb. I got my first Mac system (a 13" MacBook Pro) back in July. I haven't yet learned the ins and out of OS X.

I, on the other hand, know Windows like the back of my hand.

justit

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2007
So that was the reason for the slow boot? meh ..... lame , who's tha newb :confused:

Did your parents laugh at you when you'd fall over learning to walk? :D

We should be thankful the solution is so simple. Try fixing boot drive using DOS bios ... what a pain. :p

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Problem was that when he booted up the computer, it did not know what disk to boot to because he had changed the disk. So his MacBook spent the first 30 seconds trying to figure out what to do.

mickster1972

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2010
Aha! I was having the same problem. My Seagate Momentum XT hybrid drive is now lightning fast. My old boot time was 33 seconds with stock 5400 RPM drive, then boot speed dropped to 50 seconds or more with the Seagate installed (first 30 seconds spent looking for the drive, I suppose). Now it boots Snow Leopard in 16 seconds. I knew there must be some simple fix. Thanks for your help! :D

tonywang.xmpt

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
US
Well I've been told that "technically,"
SSDs don't necessary increase the speed of boot time.
It does increase the speed of everything else.

Personally though,
my SSD dramatically increases boot time.
Go figures.

Luis Ortega

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2007
I have the same problem.
Mine is an OWC 256gb Mercury Extreme SSD.
I installed it by cloning the old drive to the ssd with superduper and then putting it in the laptop.
The initial time from pushing the power button to seeing the apple logo at startup with the ssd was 45 seconds, about 40 seconds slower than with the old 7200rpm drive, but after resetting the pram and smc it went down to 15 seconds, which is still much slower than the 5 seconds it took on the old drive.

On the OWC videos comparing the startup times between an ssd and a regular hard drive, the time from pushing the power button to seeing the apple logo is only about 5 seconds on both machines shown, and then the ssd does everything faster, but mine is taking 15 seconds to get to the same stage in the startup routine.

I keep thinking that there is some initial glitch when the laptop starts as it looks for a different hard drive. I did the selecting of the ssd disk in startup disk preferences but that made no difference.

tble

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
I have the same problem.
Mine is an OWC 256gb Mercury Extreme SSD.
I installed it by cloning the old drive to the ssd with superduper and then putting it in the laptop.
The initial time from pushing the power button to seeing the apple logo at startup with the ssd was 45 seconds, about 40 seconds slower than with the old 7200rpm drive, but after resetting the pram and smc it went down to 15 seconds, which is still much slower than the 5 seconds it took on the old drive.

On the OWC videos comparing the startup times between an ssd and a regular hard drive, the time from pushing the power button to seeing the apple logo is only about 5 seconds on both machines shown, and then the ssd does everything faster, but mine is taking 15 seconds to get to the same stage in the startup routine.

I keep thinking that there is some initial glitch when the laptop starts as it looks for a different hard drive. I did the selecting of the ssd disk in startup disk preferences but that made no difference.

I have the exact same problem except I have the intel x25m, I slapped it in excepting blazing boot ups but im stuck at the grey screen for a good 17ish seconds and then as soon as the apple pops up and the loading goes im stuck for another 35ish seconds.

Pretty upsetting tried many fixes to no avail (i.e. PRAM, SMC, startup disk), I even did a fresh install. Anyone have the solution to this, I made sure it was set to guid table and i formatted the SSD as 1 partion osx journaled. I'm lost for ideas.

Oh forgot to mention this is the 2nd x25m that's done this to me, I'm highly considering going out to pick up a vertex 2 tomorrow.

tble

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Well I figured out what the problem was after much agony, my peripherals in particular my mouse. I'm using a steelseries xai (mouse) and it never occured to me that it was the cause of my boot time taking eons.

I unplugged it and voila, the new vertex 2 i replaced the x25m with booted up OSX in literatly 4-5 seconds. I had a nerd-gasm on the spot....

Hope this helps some people who've tried to reset their PRAM, setting the boot drive and reseting SMC with no luck.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.