Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bosoxnm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I am having major troubles with my ipod right now. IT wont change from the apple screen. I am about to restore it on my computer. Will this delete all the songs I have bought from the ipod itself. I rarely plug the ipod into the computer so at least 150 of my songs are not synced onto my actual itunes.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yes, although you might be able to download them again. You really should sync more often.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Nope

No, it won't delete them. Songs purchased via the iTunes store from your Touch or iPhone sync to your computer when you plug it in. Every time.

Now, if you have songs on it from another iTunes library, that's a different story.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
No, it won't delete them. Songs purchased via the iTunes store from your Touch or iPhone sync to your computer when you plug it in. Every time.

Read the OP. He has 150 songs that haven't been synced.

bosoxnm3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Fantastic. F it. I am converting to Limwire and illegal downloads. Screw ITunes. I am sorry but when an account buys songs you should be able to access them via anywhere.

Does anybody know if I can still get album artwork if I use limewire?

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
Wouldn't "purchasing" the same songs again be treated the same as downloading an app that was purchased by the iPod? You would click the price to begin the transaction but if you are acquiring it with the same account you would be told that you previously purchased it and there is no additional charge? I must admit I'm not positive about this and if this was the only way to get back those songs that would be tedious but I have had this experience with apps I've "purchased" but only with free apps.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Why do you buy on the iPod? And yes, you can access them. Go into My Account under iTunes Store. Find your 150 or so purchases and download them again. Oh, and Limewire is like the world of viruses. Use other sources. Legal if possible.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Apple will often let purchased songs be downloaded again. Not sure what the big deal is here. Just sync more often. Wouldn't you at least want a backup copy of a song you purchased?

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
And there goes another customer who had to learn the hard way how bad Apple's iPods and iTunes Store suck. The sad news is that there probably is nothing that can be done to help you. Just don't buy anymore DRMed music and closed-down proprietary Apple products in the future.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Wirelessly posted (iPod touch 32GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

Contact customer services and explain the situation. They'll probably give you a bit of a lecture about being more careful in the future and reset your account so you can download them again.

Cinematographer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2005
far away
And there goes another customer who had to learn the hard way how bad Apple's iPods and iTunes Store suck. The sad news is that there probably is nothing that can be done to help you. Just don't buy anymore DRMed music and closed-down proprietary Apple products in the future.

What are you talking about? :confused:

The op bought 150 songs on his touch and refrained from syncing with his computer. Is that Apple's fault?

It's just another customer who has to learn the hard way that he'll get in trouble if he doesn't take care of his digital possession.

No compassion for people who don't back up their stuff!

saberahul

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2008
USA
On Topic Response

When you buy anything from iPod touch or iPhone it syncs with your apple account and keeps in record what you bought. When you connect to iTunes the next time- go to Store and click on Redeem Downloads or something of that sort and everything you have purchased that is not on your iTunes will be synced to your ipod even after restoration.
I hope that answers your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.