Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Emrtr4

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
I brought my Iphone into the apple store because a flash keeps on popping up saying "this accessory does not work with the Iphone" and also my battery will not charge (at all) unless I totally drain it. After they did an analysis the woman told me that the water sensor was tripped and that I have to purchase a new Iphone at the full price ($499).

A friend suggested that I send it into one of the online non-apple certified repair centers. Can anyone recommend such a website? I really do not want to have to drop $500 after having the damn thing for less than a year.
Thanks

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I brought my Iphone into the apple store because a flash keeps on popping up saying "this accessory does not work with the Iphone" and also my battery will not charge (at all) unless I totally drain it. After they did an analysis the woman told me that the water sensor was tripped and that I have to purchase a new Iphone at the full price ($499).

A friend suggested that I send it into one of the online non-apple certified repair centers. Can anyone recommend such a website? I really do not want to have to drop $500 after having the damn thing for less than a year.
Thanks

happens all of the time with everything I use... dock when its not plugged in, fm transmitter for the car....

Winnie524

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Texas!
Water Damage!!

I dtopped my iphone into the toilet!! It worked at first but now it does nothing! The entire screen it black and will not turn on! I took it to AT&T but they told me i had to buy a new one! Grrr i dont want to pay for a new iphone! I heard that putting it in rice will work. . . . Is that true? Anything else that will help!

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I dtopped my iphone into the toilet!! It worked at first but now it does nothing! The entire screen it black and will not turn on! I took it to AT&T but they told me i had to buy a new one! Grrr i dont want to pay for a new iphone! I heard that putting it in rice will work. . . . Is that true? Anything else that will help!

It's a bit to late for rice. You're supposed to do that right after it gets wet. Honestly, you're screwed. Either you pay up for a new iPhone, or you don't have an iPhone at all.

Don

synergy17

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
I dropped my iPhone in water as well (it was off and dead at the time). I knew the warranty was not going to help me at that point so i opened it up and dried out as much as I could. Then I stuck it in rice for a couple days and tried to let it dry as much as possible. When I finally decided to turn it on I got a charge symbol for a few seconds (this happened a couple times). When I plugged it in to charge the apple logo comes up for a few seconds and then it just turns off again. This is all that happens now when I turn it on while it is plugged in. Is the phone done or can it be saved still?

jsquared

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2008
Nashvegas, TN
It's a bit to late for rice. You're supposed to do that right after it gets wet. Honestly, you're screwed. Either you pay up for a new iPhone, or you don't have an iPhone at all.

Don

I dropped my 1st gen in the toilet and I put it in a bag of rice later that night and the next dfay it was working better, a couple more nights of being in a bag of rice and it worked perfect. FYI

Oskee2001

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Had the same problem with my girlfriend's 3G. she had it in her bike bag on Monday and got caught in a downpour. Came home and didn't look at her phone, just put it away, so she didn't notice it was damaged until the next morning. That afternoon we put it in a bag of rice and now, three days later, still not powering on. Are we screwed since we didn't act right away?

dmeakin

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
iPhone water damage: bizarre solution

I too had a serious water damage problem. It was my own fault (and the fault of the shiny slippery case). It slipped out of my hand into a cup of coffee. I dried it immediately, but it was too late. Happily the only thing that didn't work was the sound. I checked the water sensor and it was black. I found that if I sent it to Apple the repair cost would be horrendous. So I just had to put up with it, although the iPod side was useless of course. All of this happened more than four months ago, and I have been resigned to waiting until June and then buying the new iPhone 3.

Then this week something remarkable happened. I downloaded an app called iBlow. It's a stupid program, but the children have been having a lot of fun with it. And what I cannot understand is - it's somehow brought the sound back. It's an annoying little tune, but it really made my day!

All I can think is that repeatedly blowing into the mic to create the on-screen bubbles has reactivated the sound mechanism. Is this possible? Can any of you tech guys think of any other explanation?

FiXPOD

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2009
Sydney
We've repaired many water damaged iPhones and the best thing you can do is get a hairdrier on it as soon as possible. Rice is too slow to absorb moisture. What you want is to get the thing dry as quickly as possible before the impurities in the water cause corrosion.

Some people worry about the heat damaging their iPhone, but really the heat won't do any damage (within reason). Certainly, if you're able to hold the phone, the heat is fine. Give it a good couple of minutes - you want all the water gone.

In fact when repairing badly water damaged phones, one step in the process is heating the board to the point where the solder melts and reforms connections that are broken by the corrosion.

Just thought I'd put that out there, as even though some people have had good success with bags of rice, it is definitely not the best thing you can do, in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.