Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
So this just recently popped up yesterday and it's been doing it off and on for the past 2 days! Basically when headphones or my cable that runs to my car stereo(1/8" cable), the ipod says it's playing but theres nothing coming out! So i was listening to it in my car tonight, and it hadn't been working for a few hours. So as i'm listening this raspy "short in a cable" type sound goes through the speakers for about 5 seconds and gets worse and worse before the music eventually stopped playing, at least the sound stopped coming out, the ipod still said it was playing.

I've tried it though my car, my computer speakers and headphones and its not working at all now. Any suggestions as to whats going on?

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
It might be the headphone jack. If the iPod is new enough that it is still under warranty, Apple probably would give you a new iPod.

My headphone jack blew out on my 5th Gen iPod and Apple replaced it without any questions a few years ago.

Jaredistheman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
I tried the 5 r's and still nothing! I didn't restore it but i really don't know that that's necessary for this problem. I'm pretty sure it's the jack, but i got this ipod from refurbdepot.com probably at least 2 years ago so i doubt there's any warranty. Should i just bring it in and see how much it'd cost to get it fixed?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Hey OP is it the 5G in your signature? Your headphone jack's probably broken :(

Just on Sunday I fixed a friend's 5G which was only playing through one channel. You'll have to replace the headphone jack and the hold switch at the same time (it's all one part) and it's about $25 to buy the part.

I found the part on ifixipodsfast.com and while you can send you iPod to the guy and he'll install the new jack for free the same day since I'm in the UK I just had the part shipped over. I've opened iPods and replaced parts a couple of times before so I wasn't bothered at first but there are a couple of things about this repair that made it trickier than anything I'd done before.

The connectors on the 5G are fiddly and difficult to reconnect.
You have to disassemble the hold switch to fit the new part (which I couldn't find instructions on :rolleyes:) It was very difficult to get the new part to sit properly and in the end me and my friend had to prit stick it to keep it in place (only thing we could find on a Sunday, double sided tape would have been better)

It's ok if you're comfortable poking around with things and have steady hands and a lot of patience but if you're in the US I'd recommend just sending it in to the website. They'll fit your part free of charge and if it's not the headphone jack they'll tell you what is wrong. PM me if you have any qs :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.