Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Okay, this is just bizarre. I just moved back home after the end of the semester, bringing my iBook and iMac with me. The moment I plugged in the power adapter of my iBook at home, the computer shut off, immediately and with no fanfare. I couldn't get it started again until I disconnected the power adapter and ran on battery again. Same goes for running with the power adapter connected and battery removed, nada.

Frustrated, I packed everything up and went to bed. Today, I just took the computer out again, only to find that it wouldn't start up even from the battery. Not only that, but the battery is no longer showing any lights at all when I push the test button, even though it was around 70% last night. My old battery hasn't been used in months and it still shows 3 of 4 lights. The computer was off when I put it away, so it couldn't have woken up in my bag. So now the only way I can get it to start is with the old battery connected and the power adapter disconnected.

I'm at a loss. First, I hope the power adapter hasn't fried my battery, since the adapter cost me $100 and the battery $140, together more than the laptop is worth (Dual USB). Unfortunately, I don't have another adapter I can test it with. I think I bought both battery and adapter in the last year so I really hope Apple will replace them if it comes to that, but at the moment I'm a little uneasy.

Any suggestions? Should I just bundle it up and head down to my local Apple store?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Just an update: I went in to the Apple Store today, and it seems that the problem is with the computer rather than with the power adapter as I'd thought. Happily, I have a spare power card sitting around, so I'll try swapping that out and see what happens.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
And the happy ending: ladies and gentlemen, I give you the culprit. The DC-in board was indeed acting up, a problem easily fixed by its replacement. Happily, the battery seems to have recovered too. All's well that ends well?

Attachments

• IMGP0002.jpg
    IMGP0002.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 54
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.