Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerks28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone know if the Apple Composite AV Cable will work with a iPod Nano 2nd Gen. or an iPod Mini.

I realize the compatibility on the page says it won't, but I am not looking to hook up the video cable to a TV. I am simply looking to hook up the Red and White Stereo Cables to a receiver to play music. The video function is not needed at all so I will just let the yellow cable hang free when the other two are plugged in to the receiver or powered speakers.

Does anyone have direct experience with this?

Thanks.

kerks28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks...but

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I need the power supply and I would like to use the 30 Pin Connector for better sound.

Thanks for checking though.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
No problem.

If you need the power supply then the AV cable would be the way to go. I don't know if it will work with the 2nd Gen Nano. If you have an Apple Store or Best Buy nearby go buy it. If it doesn't work, take it back. I know the cable works well because I use it with my iPhone. I am running video too though.

Good luck! Let us know what you do and how it works out.

kerks28

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
It worked

So I finally hooked up the apple composite a/v cable to my Mom's ipod mini and my ipod nano (2g) and it worked perfectly for audio. Of course the video wasn't supported, but the audio worked great.

Even though these generations of ipods aren't listed as compatible by apple, I hooked them up and just left the yellow video cable unhooked. Then I plugged it into a audio receiver made my sony.

Thanks for the suggestion to return it if necessary...it wasn't

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.