Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:15 AM   #251
SlickShoes
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
Did you try the overlap 5 probes (in plus formation) one like this? When you get more skills, you can use 8, but many ppl say they just use 7 in octahedral formation, with one in the center. Though I used to just use 4 (in square formation) and it was fine for most stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heYfTA00Idg

I did a search and thought you might have hit an older video. They changed it some couple of years ago. Or they added new content that requires many more probes or something, i dunno. It's supposed to be that overlapping radius increase the strength or some crap like that. I never figured out the "science" from the scifi aspect of it.
Yeah I did use that technique, watching thosae globes again makes me writhe in agony! I was enjoying the game until that point, the noob help chat channel just moves too fast to actually get anywhere with it.
SlickShoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:58 AM   #252
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatapa View Post
After reading the teaser, if they keep on the line FFXIV will be 100% different in July 2012
In what way? I've heard the Final Fantasy series has always been heavy with grind.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:29 AM   #253
rasmasyean
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
Yeah I did use that technique, watching thosae globes again makes me writhe in agony! I was enjoying the game until that point, the noob help chat channel just moves too fast to actually get anywhere with it.
Yeah. It takes a little while to get used to the scanning interface. It's like CAD along with your "spreadsheets"! LOL.

But I agree with you that that's one of the most annoying parts of the game.

If you ever go back again, go to E-UNI or something like that. That's EVE University's channel. That's a corp that runs lessons for fees. And the channel is really helpful. And they are good ppl too with lots of fun.
rasmasyean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:29 AM   #254
sinser
macrumors 6502a

After playing City Of Heroes for a week I must say that I like it quite a lot.
Points of merit so far

1) Lots of flexible options: the way your toon looks and power set builds, difficulty of missions, possibility to join with higher and lower level players,...

2)Tons of content

3)Not rushed towards endgame like WOW

4)Very, very nice community

5)Different subscription options
sinser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:03 PM   #255
Huntn
macrumors 604

This does not really qualify as the "next" big MMO, it has to do with MMOs all ready out there. After crashing and burning with SWTOR (a personal defect ), I was reading the latest PCGamer and had questions about League of Legends and Age of Conan, both are free MMO models. Anyone having the most fun of their lives playing them?

I was very intrigued by PCGamer's article on Guild Wars 2, dynamic events, dynamic groups (not required to join up together to get credit for a quest), but you would get credit by fighting with others.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:43 PM   #256
Alaerian

League of Legends isn't an MMO by any stretch of the word. Not even close. Whoever said that has either never played an MMO or never played LoL.
Alaerian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:48 PM   #257
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaerian View Post
League of Legends isn't an MMO by any stretch of the word. Not even close. Whoever said that has either never played an MMO or never played LoL.
There supposedly are over 12 million active players. What is it then? Do characters develop based on XP? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:48 PM   #258
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
This does not really qualify as the "next" big MMO, it has to do with MMOs all ready out there. After crashing and burning with SWTOR (a personal defect ), I was reading the latest PCGamer and had questions about League of Legends and Age of Conan, both are free MMO models. Anyone having the most fun of their lives playing them?

I was very intrigued by PCGamer's article on Guild Wars 2, dynamic events, dynamic groups (not required to join up together to get credit for a quest), but you would get credit by fighting with others.
I played Age of Conan at release when it was subscription. It's another themepark. The two biggest innovations were the combat system, which used combos, and the voice over dialogue that was in the starter zone (but disappeared once you got to higher levels because the game wasn't finished). SWTOR outdid Age of Conan by having voice over dialogue for the whole entire game.

Guild Wars 2 I wanna check out. Probably the only themepark I want to try is the Secret World and I have no clue when that's coming out.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #259
malman89
macrumors 68000

League of Legends is tons of good fun. It's for Windows, but a group of people have made it possible to play in OSX. See this recent thread.

Never played Age of Conan myself (my laptop is far too ancient and inferior to run it), but the engine looks beautiful. It's made by Funcom, a company I've followed since 2002 when I started playing their MMO Anarchy Online (also F2P and Still Alive!). The startup zone received rave reviews. It seems like the rest of the game was pretty lacking originally, but everything I've heard recently has been incredibly positive.

One of the "next big" MMOs - or at least in terms of hype - is another Funcom title - The Secret World. That and Guild Wars 2 are your two most hyped 2012 MMO launches.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2012, 04:53 PM   #260
Alaerian

Quote:
There supposedly are over 12 million active players. What is it then? Do characters develop based on XP? Thanks!
The definition is definitely broad, but most people are going to equate 'MMO' with an 'MMORPG.' League of Legends is not this by any stretch. It's DotA in a prettier shell.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:27 PM   #261
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
I played Age of Conan at release when it was subscription. It's another themepark. The two biggest innovations were the combat system, which used combos, and the voice over dialogue that was in the starter zone (but disappeared once you got to higher levels because the game wasn't finished). SWTOR outdid Age of Conan by having voice over dialogue for the whole entire game.

Guild Wars 2 I wanna check out. Probably the only themepark I want to try is the Secret World and I have no clue when that's coming out.
Maybe I'm too jaded for these types of games, but I'll check out Guild Wars2 with fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
League of Legends is tons of good fun. It's for Windows, but a group of people have made it possible to play in OSX. See this recent thread.

Never played Age of Conan myself (my laptop is far too ancient and inferior to run it), but the engine looks beautiful. It's made by Funcom, a company I've followed since 2002 when I started playing their MMO Anarchy Online (also F2P and Still Alive!). The startup zone received rave reviews. It seems like the rest of the game was pretty lacking originally, but everything I've heard recently has been incredibly positive.

One of the "next big" MMOs - or at least in terms of hype - is another Funcom title - The Secret World. That and Guild Wars 2 are your two most hyped 2012 MMO launches.
AoC is beautiful.

Quote:
The definition is definitely broad, but most people are going to equate 'MMO' with an 'MMORPG.' League of Legends is not this by any stretch. It's DotA in a prettier shell.
I was just trying to figure out the objection to LoL as a MMORPG. I'm not saying I would even like it. Yes, you may not care for it, but if players gain abilities through XP, then it's kind of a RPG is it not?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:39 PM   #262
Alaerian

Quote:
I was just trying to figure out the objection to LoL as a MMORPG. I'm not saying I would even like it. Yes, you may not care for it, but if players gain abilities through XP, then it's kind of a RPG is it not?
I play League of Legends. I love League of Legends.

It's not an MMORPG. I don't put much faith in Wikipedia, but they nail it pretty well with this statement:
"MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game."

An XP system =/= MMORPG. Also, in League, there's virtually no RPG elements. Yes, you could say that you're roleplaying a summoner, but that's extremely weak. You aren't going to roleplay in combat.

By your logic, Call of Duty 4 and Modern Warefare 2 are MMORPGs. You gain abilities and weapons with XP, do you not?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:56 PM   #263
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Also, in League, there's virtually no RPG elements. Yes, you could say that you're roleplaying a summoner, but that's extremely weak. You aren't going to roleplay in combat.
I understand now, thanks for the info. Would you say it's like an online Torchlight? Although there as I recall you do gain abilities based on XP, health, magic, stuff like that.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 09:03 PM   #264
Alaerian

No.
Torchlight = Diablo 2.
League of Legends = Dota, or Heroes of Newerth.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:50 PM   #265
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Hopefully, Fallout MMO will be the next big MMO. Bethesda just got the rights to it from Interplay. Of course, the fact that it's Bethesda makes me a bit nervous, but it may still turn out ok. Because as we know, Fallout...Fallout never changes.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:04 AM   #266
chrisvee
macrumors regular

Anyone hear about TERA? My cousins are super psyched about it, but I have no idea.

Visuals look good!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:27 AM   #267
Alaerian

Tried Fallout 3. Tried Fallout New Vegas.

Dear God, I haven't hated games that much for a long time.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:09 AM   #268
gdeputy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to gdeputy
I'm enjoying SWTOR quite a bit currently. It certainly can use some polish in a few areas but the story was great and I look forward to their progression with it.
iMac 27" i5 2.8ghz, ATI 5750, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD
gdeputy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 08:27 PM   #269
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2112 View Post
Hopefully, Fallout MMO will be the next big MMO. Bethesda just got the rights to it from Interplay. Of course, the fact that it's Bethesda makes me a bit nervous, but it may still turn out ok. Because as we know, Fallout...Fallout never changes.
This would be interesting. Lot of people want a Skyrim like sandbox MMORPG. Can't think of anything better than the guys who created Skyrim.

----------

Quote:
Maybe I'm too jaded for these types of games, but I'll check out Guild Wars2 with fingers crossed.
I think if there was a good sandbox out there, you'd be pleasantly surprised. It's one thing to come back to a game because there's a strong sense of community. As opposed to coming back to a game just to raid the same dungeon or PVP, which is what happens with themeparks.

I'm a PVP-er. Once I finish the quests in SWTOR, that's pretty much all I'll be doing. At that point, the game basically becomes an RPG version of Counter Strike, meant to kill time and nothing more.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #270
steve2112
macrumors 68040

Quote:
This would be interesting. Lot of people want a Skyrim like sandbox MMORPG. Can't think of anything better than the guys who created Skyrim.

----------

I'm a bit hesitant, since I'm not a big fan of Fallout 3. I'm one of the old-school fans of the original games, and I felt Fallout 3 (done by Bethesda) didn't really fit the series. It should be interesting, though.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:27 AM   #271
rasmasyean
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
----------

[/COLOR]

It's really hard to make a world where you can change permanently in an MMO. Unless you have massive resources devoted 24 hours into maintenance...which would take a revolution in gaming economy. But SWTOR comes pretty close. You have to remeber that Skyrim is popular because it's a well made immersive and large SINGLE PLAYER game. Compared to something like WoW, Skyrim is still pretty darn tiny. It just made a lot of buzz because no XBoxers have even seen anything so massive for a measily $60. And personally, I think SWTOR dialoging is more immersive than Skyrim. But Skyrim is a very good game...don't get me wrong...for a single player one...
rasmasyean is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:34 AM   #272
840quadra

You can add this user to the list of players of STO (Star Trek Online). Really like the game, not the best out there, but it is still getting better with time.

I am hoping F2P doesn't kill the overall community, but I expect we will see an interesting change in the overall player base.
840quadra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:22 AM   #273
VI™
macrumors 6502a

I played the SWTOR final betas and I was completely underwhelmed. It was just boring.

I'm playing Rift now and I'm suscrbied to EVE and looking forward to The Secret World, even though I've heard some discouraging things about it.

I love Rift but it's getting a tad repetitive. Under level 50 content is kind of meh, but the majority of the game is about end game content. It's so easy to level to 50 that I could probably get a character to 50 in a week if I put my grinding hat on and got to business. At 50, you have new levels of dungeons open up to you as well as zones, rifts, invasions, raids, and PVP.

What I do like is that they're constantly adding new material with each of their updates. They're adding more PVE and PVP content as time goes on with constantly changing world events. They've already added AA type advancement at 50 and 75 levels later, I've completed the first teir of a 3 tier element with 5 other elements to level in. That's a total of 18 tiers that I can level in, so I don't see completing them any time soon.

The only thing that might be limiting to some is that you pretty much need a guild to do end game raiding content. You can pug the T1 raids, but the T2 raids will never be pugged unless it's by a bunch of people that have T2 alts. I have a 2nd toon up to 50 that's geared for doing T1 raids already so I'm going through some of the same content again.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:24 PM   #274
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by VI™ View Post
I played the SWTOR final betas and I was completely underwhelmed. It was just boring.
I'm not happy to say it but I can relate.

I don't know if anyone was looking forward to Tera, but NCSoft is suing Bluehole, creators of Tera...who knows where that will end up.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:58 PM   #275
Huntn
macrumors 604

I just found this Planetside New Conglomerate Vanguard Tank video. It all most makes me want to download the original game and play it a bit while waiting for Planetside 2.

Anyone here currently playing?

666 Devil Dogs Video.

At it's peak it had 1400 members, playing on the Markarth Server.

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 3, 2012 at 02:21 PM.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games