Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adelosr1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
I just lost my 2-year-old 80gb iPod video and I'd just go ahead and get a new generation iPod but there's a catch: I need to have one that can have an iPod voice recorder attached.

I was looking at the iPod touch and the iTalk app you can buy for it, but I'm a bit skeptical. I'm a professional writer and journalist that records a lot of interviews, some of which can last up 30 minutes. I need something quick, easy and (hopefully) cheap.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what iPod/voice recorder combo I should go for? I have no qualms about storage space or generation preference.

Thanks! :)

larapumkin

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2008
i own 5.5gen video and touch 2nd gen. also iphone 3g.
i have used recording apps and recorder for 5.5gen video.
if you really want quick and long-time record, you better go for the
just tape recorder or simple mp3 recorder from sony.
5.5gen with recorder is able to record long but kills the battery pretty quick.
also it takes little time to get to start recording.
ipod touch and 3g's recording apps get too much noise because the mic
is way too small and they are not really fit for the long-recording.
i used them all for the class, recorded whole lectures, but not recommend ipods for them.
just go grab cheapest sony or panasonic mp3 or tape recorder is the best for those in my opinion.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have two fourth gen iPods with the Griffith italk microphone/speaker I can make recordings for interviews up to five or ten hours long and synch through iTunes. Get one of these.

I had to put a new battery and hard drive in one of the iPods but this is not a big deal and very cheap.

Very handy and i plan on keeping these iPods going as long as possible.

As a matter of fact, I may have one that I refurbed for sale if you need it (it's my third one, an iPod photo fourth gen. Let me know.)

adelosr1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks...but what kind of digital recorder?

I figured as much about the iPod recorders. I have a Panasonic digital recorder but no Mac even recognizes it when I connect the USB. I want to get a digital recorder but I want to be sure I can transfer the files onto my Mac(s) (preferably in MP3 or AIFF format). Any suggestions?

macneurotic

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Denver, CO
Get the iPhone. Everyone should have an iPhone. (Even if you don't like what I'm about to suggest, Apple is doing a high quality voice recording app in verosn 3.0 of these devices.

For a specific application once you have your freakin' iPhone, try Evernote. Get Evernote for you computer and the free app for the iPhone. Record voice notes, next notes, picture notes. It's all to awesome to describe here. Google it.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Uh, I am a pro too and I use these iPods for very important interviews. I don't know what you mean by "digital"... these are digital recordings off the iPods. They certainly aren't recording analog tape, wax or even old fashioned wire -- these are digital recordings.

As for the iPhone recorders, i have an iPhone, too, but these will not suffice for professional interviews because the iPHone microphone is too wide reaching. With the iTalk I can actually use the clip on Griffin mic (can't recall its name) with it and clip it to the interviewee's collar while the iTalk captures my questions. The sound quality is excellent.

I've done my research and this is really the best solution. I do recall Griffin making a similar mic for later iPods, but am not sure of the configuration.

I have asked editors of the LA Times about this issue and this iPod recorder is the best solution, like I said. Forget the iPhone unless there is some add on microphone solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.