Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I'm considering buying Canon's latest DSLR, EOS T1i, which offers HD video recording. The video is recorded in the H.264 format (reportedly
packaged as Quicktime mov). Is it possible to edit H.264/mov in iMovie 9 (or iMovie HD) and convert it (if necessary) to something that can be saved to DVD and played on an HDTV without significantly degrading quality?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
You'll have to transcode it into the Apple Intermediate Codec before you can work w/it in iMovie and currently Apple does not support Blu-ray so you'd have to burn an SD DVD if you wanted to use iDVD which will severely impact the quality when viewed on an HDTV. If you have a Blu-ray player you could buy the most recent version of Toast and a Blu-ray burner to make some BR discs to play on your HDTV.

Lethal

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Thanks, Lethal. So does Toast 10 (Pro) work directly with H.264? The info on Roxio.com only mentions AVCHD. Also, can you recommend a BR burner that works on OS X?

bluesky2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Help with T1i MOV file

Hi, i've bought a Canon T1i and shot some footage. When I tried to import a MOV file into iMovie08, I couldn't import the file. What should I convert the file to in order to import into iMovie08? BTW I copied move files directly from SD card and file format is in QuickTime H.264 PCM. Thanks.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Not sure about iM08, but I had no problem "importing" to iMHD6 or iM09. I simply dragged the file from the Finder to the Clips area of IM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.