Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old May 1, 2009, 09:19 PM   #1
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

One Mac or two ? What's ideal, the debate continues ...

What's you preference, to work from one computer, or two?

I'll often read in forums that it's best to work from ONE computer, this way all your data is in one place easy to organize you can use an external display etc ... If you're away from a desk at all and using one computer you'd have to use a notebook.

Others prefer TWO computers, a permanent desktop and a notebook, a set up like that can be had for cheap or you can go all out and buy a top the line iMac or MacPro and an Air for a notebook I guess. But you'll have data, shortcuts, preferences like at different settings so it's a little more work to keep in sync..

If you had the choice what would your ideal set up be? A 15" macbook pro, or a combination of a macbook and desktop, (or pc?< bad word I know

Interested to hear comments/opinions.

Thanks.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:48 PM   #2
robindahlia789
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to robindahlia789
I've been with one computer which is my macbook but I've been contemplating a mini so I can do all my work and set up my htpc. I think itd be easier with a 2nd computer. I just need someone too push me too buy it lol
Old May 1, 2009, 09:50 PM   #3
xhambonex
macrumors 6502a

Personally a Mac Pro and a MBP 15". Since that won't ever happen for me, MBP 15" (matte option when available) with a monitor.

I like it all in one place. Power and all my data.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:57 PM   #4
kindablue09
macrumors regular

Hmm, in my ideal world I would have a mba & my iMac. Although data would be in two places, nothing would be the mba's portability.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:01 PM   #5
angemon89
macrumors 68000

I have 2 right now, and I'm trying to get rid of one (the iMac). I need all my stuff in one place.
Old May 1, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
entatlrg
macrumors Demi-God

interesting, so far looks like most prefer to computers ...
Old May 1, 2009, 10:59 PM   #7
Genghis Khan
macrumors 65816

2 computers when i'm working

I use my Mac Pro for rendering mostly (or some movie editing recently as well), so for long stretches of time, it's using all processors to do a job.

so i use a MacBook while i'm waiting...
Old May 1, 2009, 10:59 PM   #8
duky
macrumors 6502

I've got two and it's the ideal. Windows Live Sync keeps files in sync and MobileMe takes care of the settings and preferences. The only thing I have to maintain is copying over my iTunes lib file from desktop to laptop..works like a charm..
Old May 1, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9
dsnort
macrumors 68000

I have 10 Macs.

I think I may have a problem......
dsnort is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10
GoKyu
macrumors 65816

Since coming over from the PC world in Jan '08, I've always just had a primary desktop computer tower. I really don't need to be able to take my computer with me wherever I go - I just prefer a desktop powerhouse system with plenty of internal hard drives and processing power. (Exactly why I purchased a Mac Pro over what may have been an adequate iMac.)

The only time I've ever needed to bring my system with me was for Katrina in '05, and that's a pretty extreme circumstance.

My iPhone lets me access my Mac when I'm out and around if I really need to (via LogMeIn), and otherwise serves as adequate internet access wherever I am
GoKyu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:09 PM   #11
alphaod
macrumors Core

Two Macs so far. I may get a Mac Pro in the future and run my Mac mini as a server. Also have laptop for on the go fun.
Old May 1, 2009, 11:15 PM   #12
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

I have six computers and others in my house have computers as well, though only four are in active use. However, each has their own use so the files do not need to be in sync. I use a laptop occasionally because I have to for work but its has little need for my standard files as I only use it to assist with diagnosing other peoples network and computer problems.

My desktops each have their own uses so they do not need any synchronizing. Since my gaming computer has dual 640GB hard drives it also acts as my backup center. If on the off chance I need a file not locally available I just connect to the shared drive to view the file.

Though I am contemplating a central server, with all computers set to automount the drive. I just don't know if I want to waste electricity on a 24/7 computer as I always turn them off when not in use. Being that I also would like a RAID 5 array gigabit Ethernet would be too slow and 10 gigabit is still too expensive.

I could see how it would be a pain for people whom need everything synchronized though. Why not try Chronosync?
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:33 PM   #13
robindahlia789
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to robindahlia789
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnort View Post
I have 10 Macs.

woah ten!
how long did that take too accumulate
Old May 1, 2009, 11:39 PM   #14
aaronw1986
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhambonex View Post
Personally a Mac Pro and a MBP 15". Since that won't ever happen for me, MBP 15" (matte option when available) with a monitor.

I like it all in one place. Power and all my data.
+1...except for me it's a reality!
2007 MBP 15" 2.4Ghz Glossy:4GB RAM
aaronw1986 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2009, 11:55 PM   #15
J&JPolangin
macrumors 68020

...well, I've got 4 winXP machines including the two portables in my sig and my first iMac that's been fun playing with for the last 3 days...

The oldest P4 desktop is a server for my HDTV now and as they die, I'll probably build a i7 Intel gaming rig when win7 becomes stable and eventually get a macbook in ~1 year when they get a bit more powerful...
Old May 2, 2009, 12:06 AM   #16
OceanView
macrumors 6502a

I prefer 3 but can live with 2.
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 12:08 AM   #17
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnort View Post
I have 10 Macs.

Don't worry, you have company. I'll be standing in line with you.

On a weekly basis at home, I use 2 PCs, 2 desktop Macs and 2 laptop Macs.

I also have another 2 desktop Macs, 1 laptop Mac and a few others that I use on a lesser basis.

My most used computer is my MBP15. I have a 500GB HD -- that is almost filled -- that I use for everything. I wish that 1TB portable hard drives were out already. Anyhow, I find it handy to be able to take everything with me so no matter where I am at, I have all my files at hand.
Old May 2, 2009, 03:52 AM   #18
miles01110
macrumors 604

I like 1 machine. I find it a huge waste of time to sync 2, and with two machines you just use each one less and don't really take advantage of them before they're replaced.
Old May 2, 2009, 04:08 AM   #19
James Craner
macrumors 68000

I have a Mac Pro (main photo editing station) and a Mac Book Pro 15" (which i use at work (on a windows network), and tethered photo shooting/showing photo's).

One of the really nice features with a Mac is the automatic syncing of Bookmarks, address book and keychain if you have a mobileme account. Also backtomymac comes in handy as well.
James Craner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 05:35 AM   #20
MACoconut
macrumors regular

how about an iMac with a netbook/macbook?
MACoconut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 05:41 AM   #21
yoak
macrumors 65816

I have a Mac Pro that I do all the heavy editing and rendering on, and a MBP that I bring along on location.
I could live with just the MBP, but I would have to sit around waiting a lot more.
Not even sure if my MBP could have handled the editing of the bigger projects.
It can be a problem, but mostly I keep external HD for files I need on both computers.
(My wife use the iBook)
www.sombrafilm.com
yoak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 06:59 AM   #22
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

I need two. One main computer and the other for all my on the road work. Keeping them in sync is a real challenge but I think I have it worked out.

I use TC for incremental wireless backups for both. I have a drobo for my media content- around a 1 TB which I have attached via droboshare. I use the drobo for a clone of both HDs as well. Both the iMac and the MacPro can access the drobo via the drobo apps.

All documents are kept on idisk whoch synce between both computers automatically plus mobileme for settings, email and the rest.

It is quite a setup but it works very well.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 08:32 AM   #23
bikalpapaudel
macrumors member

I have two Machines put to regular use. One MacBook and other Windows XP Box.

Both of them live in their own world. Nothing is in sync. They arent networked. Most of my files are distributed, and I use external thumb drives if its necessary to bring over something from one computer to another.

Basically I dont even remember I have another computer when I am on one. I'm just too lazy to network them. Maybe because I dont need it.
----

I would love the ecosystem that a 24" iMac, Aluminum MacBook, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule would provide. Thats way beyonf what I can afford though.
----

Also, I have always wanted to own a Legacy Mac. Maybe an iBook, or a PowerBook, or an eMac.. Anything with a PPC processor as I completely missed that era of Apple computing. I just want to feel what it was like in those days and use that extra computer as a Sandbox for stuff.
bikalpapaudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 09:30 AM   #24
macJC50640
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to macJC50640
Very soon, I will have accumulated 5 Macs.

iBook G3, my work computer, as I use it only for Word for Mac 2004 with 10.2

PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, my fun vintage computer, I use it for the cool apps it has and OS 8.5

iMac G3 Graphite, This machine is one of the fastest G3 iMacs Apple made with a 700 mhz processor. This serves as a backup machine, or maybe a radio.

iMac G4, this is a work of art. I will be buying this off of my Spanish teacher this Friday the 8th. I will use it for some surfing.

iMac aluminum, I will be ordering a new iMac Monday or Tuesday, this will obviously be my main machine and workhorse.

So, here I am reaching the 5th Mac. They each have their own place in the collection, and I like to keep them in good use, even the old ones. So I guess you could say I prefer many computers?
+ many other old, useless Apple items
macJC50640 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2009, 10:12 AM   #25
macgrl
macrumors 65816

I have a mbp and would like to get an imac too

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice