Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
It's nice to see what's happening on the other side of the fence sometimes.

123 Copy DVD offers "upgrade" link to add CSS-circumvention functions.
Another DVD copying program has been released, but past legal action by Hollywood may threaten its time on the market.

Still, 123 Copy DVD has released a $20 product of the same name, claiming its tool is "the first product of its kind that allows the user to back up any movie while remaining compliant with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act." The 1998 law, designed to extend copyright protection to digital information, effectively outlaws most DVD copying.

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,115884,00.asp

please tell me someone's gonna make it Mac savvy!!! :D

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
I have used DVD X Copy and personally it sucks.
It feels really bloat and it too simplistic, besides it burned me a couple of coasters.

DVD Shrink combined with Nero is all I use now.
It is still simple but has lots of advanced features.
Haven't had a bad burn yet with them.

On topic, I think that we should still be able to make personal backups whether they are encryted or not!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
here, here! on the backup thing. I'm still trying to find a way to play commercial DVDs on my LaCie.

Any thoughts on Toast? I got v.6 with my LaCie 2d DVD-R CD-R but haven't had a chance to burn a DVD. Cds burn effortlessly and quickly. ;) I have heard some negative feedback about it. Just curious.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Its really stupid on how on any Linux you need to break the DMCA to just watch DVDs.

All programs on mac, windows, and PC have these type of 'links'.

Other necessary files include...
download the file open package contents and place it there.

This is no more 'new' then Mac Os X is new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.