Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

polythene pam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
Florida
(originally posted in different section)

I've been storing all my pictures in an external hard drive, from which I linked my pictures to iPhoto '09. Now I have a new hard drive and would like to transfer my pictures to it but don't know how to keep all the information associated with the pictures in iPhoto (such as the "Places" and "Faces" info I've added).

I've copied all the pictures to the new HD, then opened iPhoto while pressing "option". Then I selected the folder in my new HD to be used by iPhoto, but it didn't work.

What should I do with the file in my Pictures folders (a file named 'iPhoto library')? Do I copy that to the new HD as well?

Is there a way to do this or will I have to redo all my faces and places tags?

Thanks!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
Move your library like this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1229 and you should be fine!

Thank you for posting this link. I was on the hunt for this tonight and found it here first!

One question though, has anyone done this? I understand the procedure to do it, but Im worried about losing all the Albums, Slideshows and other stuff I have in there. Does that all transfer when I move the Package?

BrightWolf

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Watch out! If you use key words (like I do) then you may lose the links between your photos and your key words. I experienced this when I changed the location of my iPhoto library: I watched in horror when I couldn't see my key words anymore!

I found out that the keywords actually are *not* lost, but only the link between them and your photos. The keywords are stored in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPhoto.plist. The solution is to make a copy of this file before the move, and to replace the new com.apple.iPhoto.plist with the older copy after the move.

Here's the link to the original article I found:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2002042609052022
(credits to the author!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.