Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
When I scroll up and down in my Applications stack list (or any long list), it flashes all ugly like. It happens on both video cards - the 9400 and 9600. It does it in the Guest account as well. I'm starting to think that the cause of it is due to the battery's inability to supply the computer (or video cards) with enough power. It happens only when my 17" MacBook Pro is unplugged. Once I plug it in, the amount of flashies fades and after 5 or 6 seconds, the flashies disappear. Then, immediately when I unplug it, the flashies reappear.

It happens on both the 9400 and the 9600. When I boot into Safe Mode (disabling Quartz Extreme) the flashies do not happen plugged or unplugged.

Here's a video of the flashies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfymT0Jexo

Does anyone else's 17" Unibody MacBook Pro do this? I'm going to the Genius Bar on Friday about it, I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
Yeah mine does that and my list isnt even that long.
it scrolls a way but it also experiences that...and im currently running on battery power with the 9400

MGLXP

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
When I scroll up and down in my Applications stack list (or any long list), it flashes all ugly like. It happens on both video cards - the 9400 and 9600. It does it in the Guest account as well. I'm starting to think that the cause of it is due to the battery's inability to supply the computer (or video cards) with enough power. It happens only when my 17" MacBook Pro is unplugged. Once I plug it in, the amount of flashies fades and after 5 or 6 seconds, the flashies disappear. Then, immediately when I unplug it, the flashies reappear.

It happens on both the 9400 and the 9600. When I boot into Safe Mode (disabling Quartz Extreme) the flashies do not happen plugged or unplugged.

Here's a video of the flashies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZfymT0Jexo

Does anyone else's 17" Unibody MacBook Pro do this? I'm going to the Genius Bar on Friday about it, I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

My 15inch Unibody MacBook Pro also does this too. I think it may have to do with the graphics drivers. So maybe with 10.5.7, newer Nvidia graphics drivers will be introduced that will solve this problem.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
My 15inch Unibody MacBook Pro also does this too. I think it may have to do with the graphics drivers. So maybe with 10.5.7, newer Nvidia graphics drivers will be introduced that will solve this problem.

I have the most current build of 10.5.7 installed. It does not fix the problem. There is definitely something wrong with our computers.

esserdk

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
I have this issue too, though it goes away when I restart the computer, so I guess it's a driver problem.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I have the most current build of 10.5.7 installed. It does not fix the problem. There is definitely something wrong with our computers.

the most current build doesnt use the latest drivers that came out last month does it? they're even still in beta stage on Nshitia's site.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
the most current build doesnt use the latest drivers that came out last month does it? they're even still in beta stage on Nshitia's site.

I don't know. How would I be able to tell what driver I have?

I don't know how this could be a driver issue, though ...

1. Everybody's MacBook Pro would have the same problem.
2. Plugging and unplugging the computer changes the effects.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I don't know. How would I be able to tell what driver I have?

I don't know how this could be a driver issue, though ...

1. Everybody's MacBook Pro would have the same problem.
2. Plugging and unplugging the computer changes the effects.

I didnt read the OP's whole post, just yours, its obviously because the power connector on the motherboard wasn't soldered on properly, they'll replace your motherboard (logic board) for free when you take it to an Apple store, just book an Appointment with a genius. You must still be under warranty as its a Unibody.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
I didnt read the OP's whole post, just yours, its obviously because the power connector on the motherboard wasn't soldered on properly, they'll replace your motherboard (logic board) for free when you take it to an Apple store, just book an Appointment with a genius. You must still be under warranty as its a Unibody.

That's lame, I just got this computer a week ago. I'm going to ask for a new one. I am the OP by the way. :p

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
That's lame, I just got this computer a week ago. I'm going to ask for a new one. I am the OP by the way. :p

haha i realised, im not with it today, hey its Sunday :) ive seen the same problem twice before, the Unibody's seem to have numerous issues with their power connectors on the motherboards, other people report electric shocks quite often etc. The problem often gets misreported as a graphics card failure, or broken Magsafe adaptor but its not.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
haha i realised, im not with it today, hey its Sunday :) ive seen the same problem twice before, the Unibody's seem to have numerous issues with their power connectors on the motherboards, other people report electric shocks quite often etc. The problem often gets misreported as a graphics card failure, or broken Magsafe adaptor but its not.

Where have you heard that these flashes are because of a faulty power connector? I used to have these flashes, but I reinstalled OS X when I got a new hard drive and they have since disappeared.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
Where have you heard that these flashes are because of a faulty power connector? I used to have these flashes, but I reinstalled OS X when I got a new hard drive and they have since disappeared.

I have reinstalled OS X several times. It is behaving like a power problem.

Power unplugged = Flashies
Power plugged in = No flashies

esserdk

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2009
same case here, calling apple now, will post results

Alright, just got off the phone.
Apple said they are aware of the the problem, and are making an update to solve the problem, so all is well :).

I asked for an ETA on the fix, unfortunately the guy on the phone could not give me one.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
I have had the same problem with an early 2008 MBP. That computer had its logic board replaced: with both of them the problem was there. It stopped after an OS upgrade. In my case it was not related to the power source, but to the uptime and to the number of sleep cycles.

Nowadays I have weird graphics problems with current-gen Unibody MBP. This MBP had its logic board replaced twice, but the strange behaviour persists.

I do not trust Apple hardware (too many defects), but quite likely this one is driver-related. I have read on many serious sites that GPU drivers are developed by Apple, not by nVidia: drivers for nVidia GPUs on Apple hw have always been quite lousy.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
Alright, just got off the phone.
Apple said they are aware of the the problem, and are making an update to solve the problem, so all is well :).

I asked for an ETA on the fix, unfortunately the guy on the phone could not give me one.

This would seem to indicate that the problem isn't a hardware one. This would be awesome. Hurry up apple. We need our updatz.

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
No hurry up????

These problems have been plaguing us since October 26, 2007.

They are not in a hurry, definitely.

-- thistle

I meant hurry up. Anyways, the problems are just starting to get very annoying. I know that no OS is perfect, but recently I've been experiencing problem after problem.

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
I also have problem with my 15" 2.6Ghz MBP (Older version) 8600GT cards. Restarting simply resolve the issue. But after 30 mins of usage, it happens again.

It also happened wherever I do scrolling, like in Safari, Spreadsheet, everything.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I have had the same problem with an early 2008 MBP. That computer had its logic board replaced: with both of them the problem was there. It stopped after an OS upgrade. In my case it was not related to the power source, but to the uptime and to the number of sleep cycles.

Nowadays I have weird graphics problems with current-gen Unibody MBP. This MBP had its logic board replaced twice, but the strange behaviour persists.

I do not trust Apple hardware (too many defects), but quite likely this one is driver-related. I have read on many serious sites that GPU drivers are developed by Apple, not by nVidia: drivers for nVidia GPUs on Apple hw have always been quite lousy.

I have the exact same issue, It's also really bad when watching a embedded video like youtube.

amorican

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
I have the exact same issue, It's also really bad when watching a embedded video like youtube.
I had the same problem on my Penryn MBP and they replaced my logic board, even though it passed the 8600 GT test. It is fine now, except when watching embedded video, if I zoom in I get white blocks that flash on the video.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I had the same problem on my Penryn MBP and they replaced my logic board, even though it passed the 8600 GT test. It is fine now, except when watching embedded video, if I zoom in I get white blocks that flash on the video.

my video card passes the test on my install disc. should i take it in anyways? It's really bad right now, but the computer has been on for 6 days.

The General

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 7, 2006
My friend and I may have just found the solution. He opened Quartz Debug and started messing around with stuff. Then, in the Tools menu, we found two options - one for enabling and disabling Quartz Extreme, and another for enabling and disabling Quartz GL. I enabled both and now the problem is gone.

I'm going to restart my computer and see if the problem is back, I'll will post back with the results.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the change is not in effect after a restart. I need to find a way to enable Quartz GL by default on OS X, that should fix my problem. Still no idea what Quartz GL is...

Warranty Voider

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Maine, US
My friend and I may have just found the solution. He opened Quartz Debug and started messing around with stuff. Then, in the Tools menu, we found two options - one for enabling and disabling Quartz Extreme, and another for enabling and disabling Quartz GL. I enabled both and now the problem is gone.

I'm going to restart my computer and see if the problem is back, I'll will post back with the results.

EDIT: Unfortunately, the change is not in effect after a restart. I need to find a way to enable Quartz GL by default on OS X, that should fix my problem. Still no idea what Quartz GL is...

I remember someone else posting this fix from another thread. I remember that this worked for me for a while. Again, this would seem to point to a driver issue, and not a hardware issue.

DooDaaDame

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2009
On The Road-RV'er
Trying to replicate problem...

I have been scrolling through menus, web pages and playing embedded video unplugged for half an hour now and am not getting this effect. I'll keep trying, but one of the reasons I'm doing this is my book was held for three weeks before delivery supposedly because of an expected firmware update. Maybe I have the fix? Who knows, maybe it takes time to show up too, I've only had my Macbook Pro for 12 hours now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.