Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
I have the Baseball Superstars app, and the latest version 2.2 is on my iPhone right now. I also have the older version 1.3, which has better graphics, so I wonder if I can have both versions on my iPhone? I tried importing the 1.3 ipa file into iTunes, but it won't let me import it unless I replace version 2.2. The file names are different, but it still won't let me have both of them in there.

laughingperson5

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2009
Since you downloaded the app from a website and didn't buy it, your computer is not authorized to use that purchased app. You might be saying, "BUT YES I BOUGHT IT BUT JUST WANTED TO DOWN-GRADE THE APP!" Well, you did not buy that app with YOUR account. Some other person bought it. Since another person bought it with there account, your computer can't access that account because it's not authorized.

You are trying to get the 1.3 version of it. Here is what you do although you will lose your high scores and all.
1. Delete the app from your iPhone or whatever device you are using.
2. Sync the device to your comp and the 1.3 version will be transfered to it.
And that's all!
BUT! Your App Store App will continuously say that you have one awaiting upgrade. Which is your app that you don't want to upgrade. Just ignore it and have fun with your app!

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
You said that you downloaded the older version of the app illegally from a website, so in order to use them you need to hack your device.

Its basically piracy, so I advise you not to do it. iTunes will not sync the app you downloaded because it knows it was not bought by you. There is no point in hacking your iPhone, its takes to long, and installing app you did not buy is piracy, which makes it illegal.

slapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
laughingperson, thanks. I didn't see your reply before I submitted my edits.

So even though I am not authorized to use that 1.3 file, iTunes will still sync it over to my iPhone and let me use it, but only if I delete the latest version off the iPhone?

It looks like I can't even sync over an authorized version 2.1 of the app, without deleting the version 2.2 off my iPhone first. Not sure I want to delete the data though, so I'll have to think about this.

EDIT: looks like my other thread got deleted, so just wanted to clarify to anyone who missed that thread - I am NOT trying to engage in piracy. I bought the app, and then later upgraded it. But I made the mistake of upgrading thru the iPhone instead of iTunes, so the old ipa file was never saved on my computer. I liked the old version better, so that's why I downloaded the ipa file for the old version off a web site, but it looks like I can't use it without deleting my data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.