Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old May 3, 2009, 06:38 PM   #1
nickalmghty
macrumors newbie

I need helps on how to make amazing Credits for a film...

Hello,
I need to make amazing credits for this mini movie im making and i want the credits to be like those from the king 1 and 1/2 (heres a link if you dont know how it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltTg5...eature=related just skip to 3:39 )
In my opinion those are the best credits i ve seen to date,
back to my problem if any of u who care know of a great application that could do that for me (freeware) or send me a link for a video tutorial on how to do that or something similar it would be greatly appreciated.
I <3
nickalmghty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2009, 07:51 PM   #2
spinnerlys

I would use Motion for this, as it comes with some text behaviours, that mimic those of the credits.

After Effects could also do this, but in my humble opinion it is quite difficult to learn. It also has a free 30 day trial (I think so, as Illustrator CS 4 has one).

You could use that and search you tube for tutorials about After Effects and text effects.

I post those two programs, as I don't know of any free composting software on the market (except one beginning with a "C" I vaguely remember - edit: or "J": http://jahshaka.org/ ). May be you should look for titling software with effects.

Last edited by spinnerlys; May 4, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: in it is, see?
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2009, 09:48 AM   #3
SCarino21
macrumors newbie

I looked at your credits in your link, After Effects would be the way to go. Believe it or not, it wouldn't be that hard to do on an intermediate level.

I struggled with After Effects for years, until I picked up CS3 Design suite. Adobe's concept of keyframing is different than Final Cut Pro.

In Photoshop CS3 and CS4 you can do some basic animation. THAT was my introduction to how to get things done in After Effects.

The 'scroll up' part of the credits I would create in Illustrator and Photoshop - and not in the FCP title generator if you want to be original. Import the .AI or .PSD file in After Effects or FCP to Animate.

On a side note, I don't think 'Lion King' straight to home video sequel has the best credits... I would reserve that to the original "Superman" "Harry Potter & Goblet of Fire" & 2004's "Punisher" just off the top of my head. But thats a different topic.
SCarino21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2009, 05:36 PM   #4
demarcopbl
macrumors member

this is basically just scaling. As another poster mentioned, I suggest you use motion. It has hotkeys for alot of what you'll need to do.

Figure out where on the page you want the credit to land, ie. the 'end' point of each title. Decide how big the text should be when its finished animating. Make a note of the scale. Each title is going to animate for 2-4 seconds, depending on what else you want to happen. Set your end keyframes for scale and position

Now you have your end scale, position and time, go back to the start and enlarge your text so that its much bigger than the frame. Set a keyframe at frame 1. (record in motion, stopwatch in after effects). Your text should now shrink to the desired size over time. To get the 'bounce' effect, just before your animation ends, enlarge the text and shrink it again, but keep it bigger than the final text size you decided on. Enlarge and shrink again, this time down to the final text size. Use the graph editor to tweak it. Make sure the size of the final frame is consistent, otherwise it'll look weird. This produces the double bounce effect you see in the video.

If you want to do the rolling letters, decide which of them should move, and import separately. Copy paste the animation from the rest of the text movement so that it synchs up. Use spin in motion, or rotation in after effects to make it roll. If you want a single letter to fall down like the 'A' does in the video, change your transform point to the base of the letter, use rotate Z to make it flop around.

Hope this helps.
demarcopbl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video