Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, and its fitting, because its going to be my first Mac purchase here soon.

I know that back to school doesn't seem like something to be talking about when finals are ending as we speak, but I have to think ahead right?

I am looking to buy a MacBook here soon, but I know that they run some great deals during the BTS sale. Problem I have is that I can't find anywhere when that sale is, and if they are having it again this year?

Anyone have any clue as to when it happened last year? and if its going to be run again this year?

Thanks in advance everyone!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Last year it happened during June towards the end of August where you got a free iPod with a purchase of a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, or Mac Pro. Probably will be around then this year.

jbenkelman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2009
Ugh. I was hoping you would say August so I had a reason to say that I didn't have to wait any longer. Lol.

I just want my macbook right now. I am selling my Dell XPS m1530 and going to Mac. Its something I always wanted to do, and I am doing saying it, and im just going to do it.

Thanks for responding.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I got a free iPod nano when I bought my MacBook last year. I believe the promotion started on September 16th and it continued for a few weeks after the aluminium MacBooks were introduced.

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

What was the free iPod pricing?

Like they were giving $199 nano or $299 touch right?

Do you get the nano if say you spend less than $1500 and you get the touch if you spend over $1500? Or did you get to pick for any mac you bought?

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

What was the free iPod pricing?

Like they were giving $199 nano or $299 touch right?

Do you get the nano if say you spend less than $1500 and you get the touch if you spend over $1500? Or did you get to pick for any mac you bought?

the ipod deal was the same no matter what mac you bought

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
I got a free iPod nano when I bought my MacBook last year. I believe the promotion started on September 16th and it continued for a few weeks after the aluminium MacBooks were introduced.

the promotion didnt work for the new macbooks though right? Only on previous models?

correct me if I am wrong.

Even thought that probably wont be the case this year. I dont expect anything new for a while.:(

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Last year the promotion ran from June 3 to September 15. AppleInsider had a good description:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article..._touch_back_to_school_promo_now_official.html

Not true, some Macs qualified and others didn't. See the above link for details. Although the mini didn't qualify last year, since it has been updated recently I guess it might be included this year.

I meant for macs that DID qualify, the ipod deal was the same... i.e. no tiered giveaway. if you bought a qualifying mac, you got the same ipod deal no matter what. I was responding to the OP's specific question in that regard. but yes, there are macs that didnt qualify:)

Apocrathia

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
University of South Alabama
I'm buying a new iMac in August, I'm probably going to hit up their free iPod deal just to turn around and sell it on eBay. I've got my iPhone, no need for an iPod.
The back to school thing usually runs from June to September.

TheIrishKro

macrumors newbie
Well as I said before, since the mini was recently upgraded it might be included this year. On the other hand, it is a relatively inexpensive product and may not qualify on that basis.

Now that you say that, why would they give you $150 - $200 ipod for buying the $600 mini....that could be one way to sell a lot more base minis that's for sure.

tMac85

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2007
in a great place
I'm buying a new iMac in August, I'm probably going to hit up their free iPod deal just to turn around and sell it on eBay. I've got my iPhone, no need for an iPod.
The back to school thing usually runs from June to September.

Good luck selling it on ebay. Ipod values suck during that time, simply because everyone is doing the same thing you are.

its worse here in the marketplace. haha. FS: Ipod x 100012292929

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.