Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

005536-macbook-small-13.jpg_425.jpg

Cult of Mac posted a photo of a strange Apple branded laptop that measures 9.5" wide and asks "Is this the New Apple Netbook?". Details are sparse and the site is being coy about the origins of the photo but claims it comes from a "trusted contributor":
We have more images that will take time to process and details about the provenance of this device we must parse, so bear with us until all can be revealed.
The explanation may be as innocent as a Chinese knock-off, but it seemed interesting enough to discuss (and pick apart). Hopefully, we'll hear more details of the device soon.

Apple has been rumored to be working on a miniaturized "netbook". Rumors have pegged it at 10" (diagonally) and with the possibility of a touch screen.

Article Link: Photo of 9.5" Mac Netbook?

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
that so is a chinese knockoff. apple is leaving white plastics behind. They have one product left that is made of all plastic. Why would they make another?

Cleve

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Some issues

That logo is fugly. The ports are too small for that scale and at that size, you can't fit a full sized keyboard with Tim Cook said over and over again was the most important thing in the universe (cramped on netbooks).

I think someone in Shenzhen built a fake or

regular macbook+ out of proportion ruler+ logo lamification

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
that so is a chinese knockoff. apple is leaving white plastics behind. They have one product left that is made of all plastic. Why would they make another?

Actually they aren't, a lot of their accessories are white plastics, their routers, time capsule.

zman911

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2007
knock-off

no way this is real. seems to me like apple is going towards an all medal enclosure for it's entire line. it wouldn't make much sense to me to introduce a white, plastic 10" mini-notebook.

apple had the slick-white plastic look to them for a while and now it's changing to a slick-medal look. why would apple intertwine the two?

conclusion: fake chinese knockoff--for sure

kin

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2007
Look at the size of the ports, it's Photoshop of a shrinked iBook.

b.rad

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
No way!

Impossible - it's way too ugly to have come from apple as a new product

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
no way this is real. seems to me like apple is going towards an all medal enclosure for it's entire line. it wouldn't make much sense to me to introduce a white, plastic 10" mini-notebook.

apple had the slick-white plastic look to them for a while and now it's changing to a slick-medal look. why would apple intertwine the two?

conclusion: fake chinese knockoff--for sure

Yeah but they are still selling a white macbook.

Look at the size of the ports, it's Photoshop of a shrinked iBook.

This is the same thing people were saying about the mini with 5 usb ports.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah but they are still selling a white macbook.

This is the same thing people were saying about the mini with 5 usb ports.

Yeah but they were in proportion. These ports are about 1/2 the size of normal ones.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
This is fake. Apple wont make a netbook as they said.

I think they release something like bigger iPhone later this year.

redking31591

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Actually they aren't, a lot of their accessories are white plastics, their routers, time capsule.

i meant that their computers themselves are leaving the white plastic behind. Steve has developed an allergy i guess. It looks like an ibook from forever ago

Gerri Shin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
most definitely a fake, Here's my list of things wrong with that photo as to my reasoning:
  • Look at the corner of the 'netbook', the top and bottom case don't match
  • There's a very sizable gap on the hinge
  • The ports have no depth to them, like they're just stickers
  • Apple has been steering away from the use of the white plastic on their computers. Not necessarily their accessories, but for their main computer lines they have been transitioning them all to using recyclable aluminum and glass. Why would they produce a netbook that is more environmentally harmful than their 13" consumer notebooks?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.