Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
Hi all,

It has taken a while to pinpoint why my system has been so flaky lately. I've been having issues where my entire system would slow down and if I try to reboot, it would just hang requiring a force shutdown. Further, at times even clicking on the dock would hang the dock and issuing a killall Dock command would not restore it. I even performed an erase and install on my system and started from scratch only to find that the issue persists. After some investigative work I've found that the issue is related to time machine. The only time the system experiences this behavior is when time machine is performing a backup. It sits at "Preparing..." indefinitely. I am backing up to an AirPort disk along with two other computers, which don't experience any issues. I have also tried deleting the sparsebundle and starting with a fresh backup, however the problem reappears in a few days. Here is the console log when my system goes into this weird mode:

5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel ASP_TCP HoldPendingReqs: holding slot 23 reqID 1481 flags 0x29 afpCmd 60 so 0x99b9cc0
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel ASP_TCP CancelOneRequest: cancelling slot 25 error 32 reqID 1499 flags 0x9 afpCmd 64 so 0x99b9cc0
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel ASP_TCP Disconnect: triggering reconnect by bumping reconnTrigger from curr value 2 on so 0x99b9cc0
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: GetReconnectToken failed 32 /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect started /Volumes/Time Machine prevTrigger 2 currTrigger 3
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: doing reconnect on /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: soft mounted and hidden volume so do not notify KEA for /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Max reconnect time: 30 secs, Connect timeout: 15 secs for /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Logging in with uam 8 /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Restoring session /Volumes/Time Machine
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel ASP_TCP ReplayPendingReqs: replaying slot 23 with reqID 1481 afpCmd 60 on so 0x99b9cc0
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: get the reconnect token
5/4/09 May 4 - 10:13:50 PM kernel AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: get the reconnect token

This repeats forever. Stopping the backup will not work. The only solution to get my system back is a force shutdown. This issue is very frustrating. I'm hoping someone knows what is wrong or can lead me in the right direction.

Thanks!

P.S. I've disabled Time Machine for now and the system is running flawless.

shneady

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
I'm in the same boat as you dogg! I started a thread in the Mac Applications forum about this exact same thing. But thought another bump couldn't hurt. Anybody out there who can help us out? That would be great.

uplusd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Silicon Valley
When all else fails here, call Apple support!!!

I'm afraid this is a very unique issue and they will just have me run through basic steps like reformatting the TM drive, reinstalling OS x, all of which I've done already.

I performed an experiment today and unplugged the ethernet cord on my iMac and connected via AirPort. When I did this the backup performed just fine and did not hang the system. However, of my other 3 macs, 2 are hardwired and do not experience this problem.

Could there be a potential hardware issue with the network card on my iMac?

5DollaFootlong

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2009
I'm pretty sure the airport disk function isn't supported by apple. Addressing your issue, I use a Western Digital My Book via USB. I was having difficulty as well, because time machine would work perfectly for three months, then get stuck at preparing. i went into disk utility, repaired permissions, and erased my drive from now. It has worked without a hitch since. Try calling your hard drive manufacturer to see if they'll send you a replacemennt

shneady

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
I'm using an Apple TC. Backing up wirelessly with TM to my TC is just awesome, if I could get it to work properly. I saw I got 46 views in my other thread in the mac apps forurm on this same issue, yet no one responded. Seems no one has an answer. I guess to me and the OP, our only option is to call Apple Support now. I will call them tonight when I get off work and see what's going on. If I hear anything mrurmil, I will definitely let you know. If you hear anything, let me know, yeah? We'll get this figured out bigg dogg...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.