Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:28 AM   #26
chibianh
macrumors 6502a

When i installed it, it suggested I also install Quicktime 6.5.1 via software update. I checked software update and there is no Quicktime 6.5.1. I also checked the quicktime I have installed and it's version 6.5. Anyone else get this? Other than that, it's a solid update.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:28 AM   #27
MattG
macrumors 68040

NICE.

Handy Concept for Concept Rock

Many music CDs contain songs that blend into each other, and importing them to iTunes may create a small gap between songs that interrupts the flow. If you use the iTunes Join Tracks feature, the program melds two or more songs into one, continuous gap-free track. So now you can enjoy listening to classical music, concept rock albums and extended dance mixes without the silent treatment.

I've been waiting for this!!!
MattG is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:28 AM   #28
Raid
macrumors 68020

Unhappy Is this it???

While I do think the features of the new iTunes version sound very nice (I have yet to play with the app), if this was their big announcment I'm very disappointed. I was really hoping for an iTMS announcement telling us they've opened in several different countries. I'm this <making hand gesture to indicate a very narrow gap between fingers> close to checking out puretracks and shopping there!
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:33 AM   #29
denm316
macrumors 6502

Lossless CD Quality Size Comparison

Song - Eminem - Sing for the Moment

128 kbps AAC - 5.3MB
830 kbps Lossless - 33.9MB
**It automatically chooses the bit rate for the lossless quality, hence why it is done is 830 kbps.

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"
denm316 is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:33 AM   #30
wordmunger
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibianh
When i installed it, it suggested I also install Quicktime 6.5.1 via software update. I checked software update and there is no Quicktime 6.5.1. I also checked the quicktime I have installed and it's version 6.5. Anyone else get this? Other than that, it's a solid update.
Yeah, not in software update--neither was iTunes. I just went to quicktime.com and downloaded from there.
wordmunger is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:33 AM   #31
thecow
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to thecow
Does anyone else not have QT 6.5.1 on their sowtware update? iTunes requires it. Oh. I didn't bother reading the whole thread. I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. I just downloaded it manually off of apple.com.

Last edited by thecow; Apr 28, 2004 at 08:38 AM.
thecow is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:35 AM   #32
idkew
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to idkew
Maybe I never new this, but it seems the DRM will allow 5 machines now, instead of 3.

and it works fine with QT 6.5 for me.
idkew is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:35 AM   #33
Nemesis
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Nemesis
No way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper
I have no idea (and yes, I know that I'm being zero help). Has anyone tried this yet, to see what the size is, in comparison to other formats (AAC @ 192, etc)?
There's NO WAY you can distinguish AAC@192 from the orginal CD, on a hi-fi equipment costing less than $50,000. You're not a music conductor like Herbert von Karajan, and you're not Mozart too, and of course you're not a bat
So, please stop worrying about it!

Last edited by Nemesis; Apr 28, 2004 at 08:43 AM.
Nemesis is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:36 AM   #34
restiffbard
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to restiffbard
updates from web

none of these updates are in SWUpdate yet. I just went to apple.com/itunes, apple.com/quicktime/download, and apple.com/ipod
restiffbard is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:36 AM   #35
srobert
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Big Mac
This will be a free download regardless of whether you have iLife 04, right?
They won't charge for a "Trojan Horse" ^_^
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:37 AM   #36
Frisco
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid
While I do think the features of the new iTunes version sound very nice (I have yet to play with the app), if this was their big announcment I'm very disappointed. I was really hoping for an iTMS announcement telling us they've opened in several different countries. I'm this <making hand gesture to indicate a very narrow gap between fingers> close to checking out puretracks and shopping there!
I think iTMS Europe is rumored to come in June.

Last edited by Frisco; Apr 28, 2004 at 08:42 AM.
Frisco is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:38 AM   #37
bbarnhart
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to bbarnhart
Yea! They fixed the firewall issue that I was having at work. I couldn't buy songs or listen to songs that I had previously purchased on my Mac at home. This is great.
bbarnhart is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:39 AM   #38
CmdrLaForge
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to CmdrLaForge Send a message via Skype™ to CmdrLaForge
Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
BAM! "WAM - Convert WMA to AAC." Right into Microsft's genitalias. That's gotta hurt.
Thats what I thought as well. WMA to AAC IS THE BIG NEWS
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:40 AM   #39
MatMistake

group compilations :D

love the new 'group compilations when browsing' feature. I'm a big fan of compilations and have 300+ artists in my itunes library, but only about 150 albums, so previously the 'artists' column in the browser was littered with hundreds of artists that I only have one song by, but now thay are all under 'compilations'

woo. I'm really hoping this is included with the ipod update, that would be ace
MatMistake is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:40 AM   #40
Stewie
macrumors 6502

I am confused about the losses feature. I tried converting a random mp3 and the size went from 4mb to almost 30mb?!?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes001.gif
Views:	237
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	13347   Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes002.gif
Views:	257
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	13348  
Stewie is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:41 AM   #41
uzombie
macrumors member

Wanna bet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
There's NO WAY you can distinguish AAC@192 from the orginal CD, on a hi-fi equipment costing less than $50,000.
So, please stop worrying about it!
Maybe YOU can't, but there are many with superb hearing that can hear the compression/difference.

I heard that!

uzombie is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:43 AM   #42
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphismac
So does this mean I should re-import all my stuff?

I just bought an iPod a few weeks ago and I've imported a little over half of my CDs. If space on the iPod is a consideration (and it might be later on), should I reimport in this lossless/half the size stuff?
Brian,

If you imported using AAC and a decent bit-rate, then don't worry about it. The "half-size" file will still be larger than an AAC. It's half the size that a fully uncompressed file would be.
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:43 AM   #43
TheT
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to TheT Send a message via AIM to TheT
OMG, I don't get the US-only reminder any more... is it because I've been browing the store for the last 2 hours or is it bacause... I dare not say it... someone outside the US check please!
TheT is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:44 AM   #44
achmafooma
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to achmafooma Send a message via AIM to achmafooma Send a message via MSN to achmafooma Send a message via Yahoo to achmafooma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattG
Handy Concept for Concept Rock

Many music CDs contain songs that blend into each other, and importing them to iTunes may create a small gap between songs that interrupts the flow. If you use the iTunes Join Tracks feature, the program melds two or more songs into one, continuous gap-free track. So now you can enjoy listening to classical music, concept rock albums and extended dance mixes without the silent treatment.

I've been waiting for this!!!
Not to rain on your parade, but that's been around a while... I think it was introduced with iTunes 4, but might have even come earlier.

When I went to reimport all my albums as AAC, I went ahead and did this with a few things -- lots of Pink Floyd stuff, etc. But all it does is combine the tracks so they get imported as 1 file. I don't want the entire Dark Side of the Moon album to be one file! I ended up only combining the ones that I always want to hear together (Brain Damage & Eclipse, or -- from another Pink Floyd album -- The Happiest Days of Our Lives & Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2).

I would think that they could just make them play correctly without the little jump between tracks ... isn't that as easy as buffering the next song? The best workaround I've found is to turn on crossfading, and then take the slider down to 0 seconds. It's not perfect, but it sounds closer to how it's supposed to.
achmafooma is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:45 AM   #45
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denm316
Song - Eminem - Sing for the Moment

128 kbps AAC - 5.3MB
830 kbps Lossless - 33.9MB
**It automatically chooses the bit rate for the lossless quality, hence why it is done is 830 kbps.
Thanks for doing that. I know now that 128 kbps will suit me plenty fine. I don't think my high end iBook internal speakers are going to make it sound much different either way...
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:45 AM   #46
mgargan1
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mgargan1
and they're offering a free download of the foo fighters!!
mgargan1 is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:46 AM   #47
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie
I am confused about the losses feature. I tried converting a random mp3 and the size went from 4mb to almost 30mb?!?!?
You *can't* go from a lossy format, such as mp3 to a lossless (or near lossless) format.

This lossless format is for importing your music CDs into a file that is half the size that the fully uncompressed version would be, but has the same sound quality.

Too bad they haven't provided more technical background information on this. People are really interested.
coolfactor is offline   0
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:46 AM   #48
srobert
macrumors 68020

That little CD jewel case insert printing feature is pretty nifty. I can actually portray me using that.

I had trouble finding it at first but then I stopped and simply told myself "think mac" ... command-P ... Bam! Worked. ^_^
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:47 AM   #49
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamberti
iPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance
-Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality
I'm totally not complaining but does this mean that my old school non-dock enabled iPod can't play songs that are encoded in the Apple Lossless Encoder? It's not a huge deal because from what I see above the file size difference is huge (I only have a 10gig iPod) so I'll be sticking to 128 aac... but mainly just curious. I can test it when I get home I suppose.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:48 AM   #50
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobert
That little CD jewel case insert printing feature is pretty nifty. I can actually portray me using that.

I had trouble finding it at first but then I stopped and simply told myself "think mac" ... command-P ... Bam! Worked. ^_^
Same here. I was ctrl-clicking on stuff trying to find it (on the jewel art, on the playlist, etc). Then I was like... hmmm... wouldn't "print" be where it *always* is? Bam! That's what I get for having to use Windows 2000 at work.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)