Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple released iTunes 4.5 today.

The newest version of iTunes offers several new features.

- iMix - Share your taste. Publish your playlists
- Party Shuffle
- Printing - Creating Jewel case inserts
- Radio Charts - What's playing around the U.S.
- Movie trailers. Music Videos
- WAM - Convert WMA to AAC
- Apple Lossless - CD Quality Sound. Half the size.

iTunes now has over 700,000 songs in the iTunes Music Store.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
Plus now you can play on 5 Macs rather than 3. Way to go Apple for making the DRM LESS restrictive. Who'd of thought we'd see that?

EDIT: I discovered this in their press release:

"Honoring Apple’s commitment to discourage music theft while preserving fair personal use rights, the number of times a user can burn the same playlist onto CDs with iTunes is being reduced from ten burns to seven. Users can still burn a single song an unlimited number of times and listen to their music on an unlimited number of iPods."

What's the point when you can just change the playlist... this must be to keep dumb non-techie record execs happy. Mwah Ha Ha.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Nice upgrade! Damn, I wish I had iLife '04 now... Looks like iTunes 4.5 gives me even more reasons to upgrade now! Damn you Apple... ;)

Anyway, there looks like there are some cool new features in 4.5 - and I see WMA in there as well - very interesting! Well done Apple!

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
Macrumors said:
Apple released - Apple Lossless - CD Quality Sound. Half the size.

Ack. and I JUST finished converting my entire collection to FLAC..
Does anyone know what kind of lossless file format this is? As the previous person noted, is it just a very high bitrate lossy format?

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
eh? you dont need iLife 04' to get iTunes!
~Shard~ said:
Nice upgrade! Damn, I wish I had iLife '04 now... Looks like iTunes 4.5 gives me even more reasons to upgrade now! Damn you Apple... ;)

Anyway, there looks like there are some cool new features in 4.5 - and I see WMA in there as well - very interesting! Well done Apple!

adamberti

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2003
Downloaded it, some observations:

First thing I noticed... Every song / artist /album in your library has that arrow to the right of it - and if you click on it, it searches the music store for that song. Interesting... Option Click goes to it in your library

"Windows Media Player 9 or later must be installed to convert unprotected WMA files" -> PC only I guess.

Printing covers is pretty easy - File -> Print, it gives you a preview. I had a playlist with about 55 songs, and it shows the first 25 on the print and then "and 30 more..." Plus it prints "Printed with iTunes" at the bottom. It even has a bleed, crop and fold marks!

This party mode thing... I was hoping to just put iTunes in Party mode, and someone could double-click on a song and it would be added to an 'on-the-go' type playlist. Cause thats what most people do, just double click on it, cause they want it. What this does it pick random music from your choice of a source (any playlist or library) and will show 0-100 upcoming songs along with 0-100 already played songs. If you have those selected to something more than 0, and you delete something in the playlist, it just adds another. If you have it at 0, you have to add your own songs. there is an option to play higher rated songs more often.

I guess the point is that you can have it choose from a playlist or your library and see whats coming up, remove something if you don't like it, or rearrage it, all without disturbing any existing playlist.

iTMS - I was hoping that based on the long load time it would say "Your country is now supported" (Canada) but no - Just a long load time for the first time. the one free song a week is cool, but you still have to have an account of course.

The iMix allows anyone to publish a playlist to iTMS - and Steve already has a playlist that is rated 5 stars out of 5 with 100,000 votes, and so it is at the top. You have to have an account to vote on an iMix

Lastly the movie trailers are cool, its an easy way to see new trailers and browse them - except that they still remind you you are in a store and there are things to buy (soundtracks).

All in all a decent upgrade, but nothing spectacular in my books, the only feature I may use is the party shuffle.

Enjoy the new toy.

And as a PS. there is a new iPod update:

iPod Update 2004-04-28 supports all models of iPod and iPod mini introduced before April 28, 2004. This update is required to take advantage of new features in iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store.

Changes for iPod without a Dock connector
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance

Changes for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
-Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 and the iTunes Music Store
-Improved playback performance
-Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

Let the rumours begin "All models introduced before April 28, 2004" So what about the ones introduced after or on this date?

denm316

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2003
Philadelphia
A better DRM, I am surprised at that one, and the cover art thing is really cool, even though I dont print cover art it is still cool

Mac

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2004
Way to go!

This is good news! Especially WMA to AAC and Jewel case printing. I am so thankful that I recently switched and bought a 'heap' of Macs instead. Never regretted a minute.

Thank you, Apple. :)

memphismac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2003
Macrumors said:
- Apple Lossless - CD Quality Sound. Half the size.

So does this mean I should re-import all my stuff?

I just bought an iPod a few weeks ago and I've imported a little over half of my CDs. If space on the iPod is a consideration (and it might be later on), should I reimport in this lossless/half the size stuff?

Brian

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
~Shard~ said:

This will be a free download regardless of whether you have iLife 04, right?

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
BAM! "WAM - Convert WMA to AAC." Right into Microsft's genitalias. That's gotta hurt.
:D

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Let the rumours begin "All models introduced before April 28, 2004" So what about the ones introduced after or on this date?"

I assume they already have the update?

robsworld

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2003
HELP! iTunes is crashing

Can you conform this?

When I try to create a new account in the iTMS:
First I enter my .mac-account, than I must agree to the iTMS-license, but when I now press 'Agree' iTunes is crashing.

I am using iTunes from europe. Is this maybe a sign that iTMS-Europe will come very soon? :rolleyes:
I have already posted that topic to a german forum and all the people there have confirmed this crashing!!!!!!!!!

How about you?

Greetings from Germany,
rob

Chopper

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2004
memphismac said:
So does this mean I should re-import all my stuff?

I just bought an iPod a few weeks ago and I've imported a little over half of my CDs. If space on the iPod is a consideration (and it might be later on), should I reimport in this lossless/half the size stuff?

I have no idea (and yes, I know that I'm being zero help). Has anyone tried this yet, to see what the size is, in comparison to other formats (AAC @ 192, etc)?

dragula53

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
blah

wma on windows only

links to the music store from every song in my library.

the party shuffle is nice.

and cd covers.. cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.